"Run after shut off and now no power.

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Stefano
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100

"Run after shut off and now no power.

Postby Stefano » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:03 pm

I have a 1982 GL1100 and had some run on after stopping and shutting off using the handlebar switch. Then I turned the ignition on and off and then nothing. I turn the key to "on" and nothing. No power anywhere. I checked my fuses up top and all five are good. I didn't read anything marked "ignition". I am new at these 'Wings and this web site. It was running a little glitchy at slow speed, yesterday, but when I hit the power, all seemed fine. No missing.

So what is up with this run on after shut off? It happened one other time a few months ago and yesterday. Stator? Another fuse I don't know about? If anyone can help; I would really appreciate it! My battery was fine and fully charged I am pretty certain. No cranking hesitation.
[b
So run on and now no power. Period to anything to keep it simple. (I am learning how to post more concisely.)

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: "Run after shut off and now no power.

Postby virgilmobile » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:16 pm

I'll look at the schematic but I need to know...Is this a standard or interstate....
The "run on"...I assume you mean that turning the key to the off position didn't kill the bike and you had to use the kill switch..?
This happen before and then was OK then happened again.?
Now the bike is DOA...?

Side note:unplug the 4 wire plug from the starter solenoid,push the little plastic pin and open the trap door...There is a metal fuse link in there,they often fail by vibration cracking..
There usually is a spare in the trap door...
If that fuse is obviously blown..Do not replace it till "we" figure out what blew it...
A fuse "blows"for a reason...

virgilmobile
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:25 pm

OK , after a quick review of the basic schematic,the only way the bike could keep running with the key off is either the ignition switch is broken inside or the regulator module is shorted inside and back feeding the ignition system.
The ignition is not fused...The black switched wire from the ignition switch feeds not only the fuses but the kill switch direct,so voltage to the ignition system can be killed by only the kill switch or the ignition switch.
If the 30 amp main fuse is blown,unplug the regulator module.This should allow the bike to start and turn off normal.Not charging obviously.
Other tests would confirm the regulator as the cause of all the troubles.
Let us know what you find please.

By the way,if the regulator pooped out,you may have now a dead battery....Expect to have to charge it up.

Stefano
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100

Postby Stefano » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:35 pm

I wrote the below before reading your second reply. The bike half baked runs on. not full on. I have no clue where the regulator is and as below stated, I need to find a manual and or pics of some basic things for sure. How much is a regulator. A switch? Can the switch be intermittenly malfunctioning? How to test? A continuity type test? This regulator and your explanation of the switch to fuse is just a tad over my head, but it will sink in. Now I am in need of looking at how many fuses? The main fuse is by the battery? The one by the solenoid is in a box I should recognize?

Again, pics would be great. Any idea where I can get a cheap one? I will research too. Just thought you might have a line on manuals as your are experienced on these big time!

It is a straight GL1100 with no fairings. Not an Interstate to answer you directly. Yes it happened before as stated. Yes, the "run on" was like a car with "bad gas". Yes I used the bar kill switch as I didn't want anything busted. That didn't work and I turned the ignition switch to off and then on and then off. I know, not real smart. i was wondering if it would come to full power since that wasn't killing the unit. Then nada. I mean to anywhere. Ugh. It is my only transport right now so I am having a difficult time being objective here. I am a vet battling PTSD and it interupts my objectivity. For future reference if I write in fricking flowery language.
Now DOA!! NO power to anything.

I appreciate your help!

You wrote:
Side note:unplug the 4 wire plug from the starter solenoid,push the little plastic pin and open the trap door...There is a metal fuse link in there,they often fail by vibration cracking..
There usually is a spare in the trap door...
If that fuse is obviously blown..Do not replace it till "we" figure out what blew it...
A fuse "blows"for a reason...

Got the fuse "blows" for a reason. Rog on this. I just got this unit and have worked on many a bike but I don't know where starter solenoid is specifically. Yes, probably by the starter... I will have to start with getting some kind of manual beyond looking and finding for myself.

virgilmobile
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:58 pm

You can download a manual from the manuals section above...Even one close is OK.
The regulator...Open the false cover,lift out the tool tray,you will see a box..4"x4" with fins on it.
There are 8 wires that it plugs into it.

A switch has a "U" shaped brass shorting bar in it.I have seen them break apart.Sometimes they stick in the on position.

The starter solenoid contains the main 30 amp fuse that runs the whole bike...It's attached to the battery and is just inches to the right of it...Usually supported in a rubber boot.
When you unplug the connector,the door will be obvious.

As far as testing,this can be accomplished with a simple test light.A digital volt meter would be used after the repaire to confirm it's charging OK.

Check the big fuse and keep us posted...We can be the calm in your storm of panic...There's always a way to get around a problem.. :)

virgilmobile
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:26 pm

Here's the inside of a gl1100 ignition switch...I cleaned this one but I have seen one where the tabs broke off the shorting bar and kept the ignition on regardless of the key position.

Here's what the regulator looks like.

Here's where it's located..The plug may be accessible without removing the shelter.

Here's the volts on the wires for the regulator.

virgilmobile
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:33 pm

Here's a link to another post about charging problems and how to test the entire charging system.viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11372

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:07 pm

You can get run on if you have hot carbon deposits in the cylinder - they can ignite the fuel/air mixture spontaneously and keep it running for a short while after you shut down, until they cool off enough to stop it happening.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”