1983 Aspy linked front brake issue. Help!!

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
GoldFlash
Motorcycle: 1985 1200 Asplecade

1983 Aspy linked front brake issue. Help!!

Postby GoldFlash » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:21 am

Hey All, Got a issue with getting fluid to the right front brake on my 83 Aspencade. I know it has the linked brake system and the odd thing is that I get some brake pedal in the rear but nothing up front. I removed the master cylinder and cleaned it out real good including the 2 holes. The rear caliper grabs some and releases and the front caliper is a working one off another 83 but nothing happens. I found the compensator/metering union that the rear master is attached too and got fluid out of the line that runs to the front caliper but no fluid up front. This is driving me nuts Ive spent a good amount of time on this with no results. Anyone out there have a similar experience? Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks GF

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: 1983 Aspy linked front brake issue. Help!!

Postby virgilmobile » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:28 am

It's a long haul from the master cylinder to the front caliper...
I always have to remember to flush that line first....before the rear...
It's difficult to do the "press the pedal,open the bleeder,tighten the bleeder,release the brake" enough times to fill the entire line with new fluid...
I opted for the Mity vac system.Literally suck the fluid from the reserve all the way to the caliper.

Then do the rear....You must keep any air bubbles out of the system..Keep the reservoir filled.

GoldFlash

Postby GoldFlash » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:18 pm

Thanks for the reply RB. I have been bleeding with a Harbor freight version of the Mity Vac. All I can get is some wet air.I will try your suggestion of back feeding the MC. I hope it works. It seems odd to get some rear brake and nothing up front though Thanks again GF

emt613
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Aspencade

Postby emt613 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:12 pm

I also know what you are going through. It took almost 16 ounces of fluid before I finally got mine totally bled. I f only I had listened to Virgil in the first place . But I will tell you , These brakes are working really well now. I had a fellow wing rider tell me that when bleeding brakes on any bike to always bleed until you get ALL of the old fluid out of the system. He was right, made a heck of a difference out on the road.

GoldFlash

Postby GoldFlash » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:32 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I tried to backfeed the system thru the front caliper with little results. I couldnt get the fluid to enter the brake line or get any bubbles from the rear master. I removed the brakeline from the front right caliper from the union below the gas tank and blew compressed air through the bleeder port . It seemed like the air had a hard time getting through with little brake fluid caught.As I stated in earlier posts I have some brake in the rear tire with absolutely nothing up front right. Im outta ideas Any ideas appreciated Thanks GF PS don't know if I need to make a new thread on this but what should the tranny sound like going up hills. Mine seems to whine some. Dont know if this is normal coming from harley land where all I could hear was the pipes.

GoldFlash

Postby GoldFlash » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:36 pm

ITS A GLORIOUS DAY!!! The brakes are now all working. I followed advice and followed the fluid from the rear MC to the front right caliper removing the line at each junction to see if the fluid was making it to that point. Well it made it all the way to the junction under the false tank and there it stopped. I pulled the flex line to the front caliper and tried to blow through it---nocando.`I had a extra line and tried to blow through that one and it was open. Installed it and using my speed bleeder got fluid in a couple of tries-- amazing. I guess the rubber in the 30 year old line had swelled to the point it wouldn't let any fluid pass. Learned a valuable lesson here after being driven crazy by getting no fluid to the front. This site is a great resource Thanks for all the help GF

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”