Progressive springs - centerstand modification

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Baunix63
Motorcycle: 1981 Honda GL 1100 Interstate
1982 Honda GL 500
Silverwing
Mustang 2006

Progressive springs - centerstand modification

Postby Baunix63 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:10 pm

Seers,

my GL110I got new progressive springs by Würth. Uuuh what a job! These springs were about 70mm longer than OEM and harder. Together with fork oil 20W it´s a front end like a racing, very good feeling and precision.
But now the fork lifted about 25mm so the rear tire touches the ground and it is extremly difficult to get the bike on the centerstand, I think the rear wheel should be free to nearly 30-40mm. The angle between centerstand and ground is to flat, so you have to lift the whole weight over the top of the circle. :o
Solutions
1. I weldered up about 5mm, no result
2. today I drilled 2 holes, threatend M10 an screwed two bolts in => Jiihaa, it nearly jumps itself on the centerstand and it is easy to get the bike off. :D
The bolts are a litte bit to high, cause the angle is with that bolts to near at the vertical, so the bike can jump alone from the centerstand, tomorrow I will use screws M10 with a hexagon head that are about 5mm flat.

Hope you understand my "german" english :lol:
Attachments

Michael from Bavaria

David-Mantle
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100AD
1980 CB400N

Re: Progressive springs - centerstand modification

Postby David-Mantle » Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:17 am

I modified mine in a similar way by welding a plate to the center stand. I thought of the bolt method myself but was concerned about concentrating the weight rather than spreading it where the stand touches the frame. I had to make sure that the stand "over centers" properly in order to ensure that the bike is stable and secure . If not there is a risk of it riding back and rolling off the stand . :oops:
The only silly question is the one you don`t ask. Everything else is game.

http://www.ngwclub.com/shoptalk/
http://yuq.me/users/24/690/5CwYRzT8lx.gif

Baunix63
Motorcycle: 1981 Honda GL 1100 Interstate
1982 Honda GL 500
Silverwing
Mustang 2006

Re: Progressive springs - centerstand modification

Postby Baunix63 » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:17 am

the bolts i used have a 19mm hexagon, so that´s big enough for the pressure of the weight.
I was messuring the Honda solution, then used a little maths and my knowledge of statics and compared my idea to Honda.
The contact areas are similar, so there will be no problem.
Now I can also adjust the angle of the centerstand, so there is no danger off rolling off the stand.
Michael from Bavaria

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”