Temp Sending Unit location

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
pschweitzer
Motorcycle: 1983 Goldwing Interstate GL1100I

Temp Sending Unit location

Postby pschweitzer » Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:27 am

Hi, new to posting to the forum. I purchased a 1983 GL1100i from a police officer in Fairfax, Va last June. It had 60K miles on it but sat for 2 years. The body was in mint condition and it just took new fluids, spark plugs and a battery to get her started and running. I work most of the time in Saudi Arabia so I left the bike with a mechanic here in Va that works on old Hondas. He did most of the work I just did not have time to do being away so much (like timing belt, rebuilding the carbs, valve clearance, etc.). I just picked up the bike yesterday and it is purring, but driving home I noticed that the temperature gauge was not working (it was working before). Fuel gauge is fine so I'm sure that it is probably the wire to the temperature sending unit that may have come loose when he did the time belt change. I have to fly back to work in a couple of days so don't have time to bring it back and have my mechanic fix and I thought it would be simple enough, except I am not 100% sure where the sending unit is. Does anyone have a photo of the location?

Thanks for any help.

Pat

BikerBuck
Motorcycle: 1998 GL1500 SE
1983 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1978 GS 750

Re: Temp Sending Unit location

Postby BikerBuck » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:42 am

Pat, Sending unit is under and behind fan on right side. There are two switches, the one toward the front controls the fan,the one towards the rear is the sending unit. They are difficult to get to. If you take off the right fairing lower and then loosen the baffle behind the fan you should be able to reach it. Maybe someone else can post who has changed it out. Good luck

pschweitzer

Postby pschweitzer » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:50 am

Thanks. That is where I thought it was and you're right, it is hard to get to. Will try and get to it today.

kerryb
Motorcycle: 1983 GL 1100 std

Postby kerryb » Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:01 pm

I'm working on the same issue. The sending unit was working before I took everything apart to replace the water pump. Now that it is all back together the fan works but the sending unit seems to have failed (I never even touched it I swear!) I did put it a new thermostat just because access was so good. I may be able to get the old one out with a deep socket and swivel joint but I think I'll need to remove the radiator and front upper mount/shield to get enough access to put in the new sending unit.

Somewhere here is a post about the Honda civic sending unit part number for much less $$ that the Goldwing oem part.

good luck and small hands...kb

pschweitzer

Postby pschweitzer » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:10 pm

No luck and I ran out of time this trip. I tried to loosen the main baffle behind the fan, but it is also attatched to an outside heat shield that is screwed in place right behind the fairing with no clearance with even my closest right angle driver. I was able to move the baffle a bit out of the way but not enough to get anything in there to work on it. It appears that the wire is still atached. I'll be back in the USA in late October and will just plan on starting a radiator flush. With the radiator and the baffle out of the way I think I should have the clearance. I'll check the meter itself as well since the bulb for the gas and temp gauge is out and needs replacing.

I really enjoy reading post on this forum and will be checking in quite often if someone figures a better method.

Thanks for all the replies to date.

Pat

pschweitzer

Postby pschweitzer » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:46 pm

Back in the USA again for a couple of weeks. I decided to change the t-stat and radiator hoses (lord knows how old they were). With the radiator off I figured I could tackle the temperature sender issue. I removed the baffle that is between the engine and the radiator. There is a bar that holds the top part that is a devil to align in reassembly. Need to remember to wire that in place the next time. With the baffle removed there is plenty of clearance (I did try and just loosen everything and get some access, but I could never get a good bite on the sensor and was just chewing up the brass.). I grounded the wire and the temperature climbed on the gauge, so it was the sender. I've got everything reassembled up to the radiator. NAPA didn't have the hose this morning, but will have it tomorrow. It is suppose to rain all day, so a good day to finish up. The weekend is going to be colder (for me that is use to Saudi heat that is), but sunny and I hope to get some riding in (will be a good excuse to buy new gloves).

By the way, this bike is an '83 and has floor boards, but they are slanted and slightly behind my seated position. I'm 6'4" and it can get tiring in that position on a cruiser. I have hiway pegs, but for around town riding they are not useful. Is this the standard arrangement for an '83 and if so are there aftermarket options out there to bring the standard position forward and flatter?

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”