Need help removing carbs

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links

Need help removing carbs

Postby damianbarna » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:19 pm

Hi everyone, My name is Damian and I live in central NJ Woodbridge area. I bought an 82 Aspencade 2 weeks ago that was in storage for the last 8 years. (Previously owned by a member of the Blue Knights) While replacing the throttle cables as per the deceased owners son I found that the carbs are frozen and the cables are fine. (I guess I'll put in the new ones I bought anyway) After I gently unfroze the carbs and drained the fuel tank I got the bike to fire off.

Now I have embarked on removing the carbs. I have discon'd all the cables, the choke mounting arm and the vac caps for the #1 & #3 carbs. But try as I might (2 evenings now) I can't manipulate those buggers past the 50 yard line. They get stuck on the upper left front of the frame and what looks like a cooling fluid transfer connector on the block under the carbs. I left the manifold down spouts connected loosely by the rubber boots as they don't seem to be in the way.

Please help with any ideas you have. I feel that I am missing the point. It seems so close and yet so far. I have the goldwing repair manual but it really doesn't help much for the Aspencade model.

Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500 - this is the one I will always need help with.

1980 GL1100I Interstate (gone)

Re: Need help removing carbs

Postby tumunga » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:14 pm

Hello Damian,

I sent a reply to the PM you sent. Here's the best answer for you.

Roady made a set of excellent instructions to get the carbs off the bike.Follow the directions to the "T" at this link: ... hp?t=11283

This is what I used the first time I pulled the carbs from my '80 Interstate. Step by step, paint by numbers directions, with pictures! Almost idiot proof.

You might have to join the forum to be able to see the directions. Follow these directions and the carbs will slide right off the bike.

Here's a link for rebuilding them as well from the same guy: ... hp?t=12168

I hope this, wait a minute, I KNOW this will help!
1989 GL1500 Goldwing with all the optional goodies (I think)

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”