Starter Rebuild

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
penntoy123
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Starter Rebuild

Postby penntoy123 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:43 pm

Last week my starter stopped working. I was finally able to get it removed and found the lug to the positive brush snapped off. I should be able to solder a new lug on, before I do that I will follow the on line tutorial and clean, clean, clean, and possible clean some more, then lube it up. Hope to be back on the road next week.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: Starter Rebuild

Postby RBGERSON » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:39 am

You have to use silver solder on that piece regular solder melts off at least that's what I was told.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 I
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:47 am

I am just curious how the lug snapped off. Did something fall on it, or the bike fall over?

penntoy123
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby penntoy123 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:48 pm

The part that broke was the electrical connection to the positive lead for one of the brushes. I guess age may have been the cause. Anyhow today I broke the positive armature. So I went ahead on ordered a new starter instead. It should be here Thursday. In the meantime I can work on the carbs, they were causing the original problem, backfiring through the carbs, running rough and hard starting.

bobgw1983
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I

Postby bobgw1983 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:11 pm

Hi folks! I am new to repairing bikes. I picked up a GL1100i with no carbs or starter on it and a stripped frame with what I needed. Here are my thoughts: Check the replacement starter to install; 1st question - should there be no continuity between the positive post on the starter and any of the outer casing??? I am getting o or minimal resistance reading to all but the main housing which reads OL In the bike everything was giving a 12V reading??? What to do?? If I need to rebuild or buy new I will. Next I was going to turn the bike with no plugs to confirm not seized before getting into transferring the carbs. No peace from the wife in my ear so signing off for now. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much.

patbrandon1
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:47 pm

bobgw1983 wrote:Hi folks! I am new to repairing bikes. I picked up a GL1100i with no carbs or starter on it and a stripped frame with what I needed. Here are my thoughts: Check the replacement starter to install; 1st question - should there be no continuity between the positive post on the starter and any of the outer casing??? I am getting o or minimal resistance reading to all but the main housing which reads OL In the bike everything was giving a 12V reading??? What to do?? If I need to rebuild or buy new I will. Next I was going to turn the bike with no plugs to confirm not seized before getting into transferring the carbs. No peace from the wife in my ear so signing off for now. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much.

Hi bobw1983, and welcome to the site. This is a great one. The admin is beyond great, and all the men and women here are eager and patient to help.

I'm no expert, but you will eventually need open up that starter. Once you do that, you can determine weather you need new or rebuild. There is a total rebuild kit on ebay for around $30. There are great how-to article specific to your bike that explain step by step with pics, how to do these fixes.

Did you pull the plugs and put a little oil in the holes to get the pistons lubed a little? I would.

Keep us posted with your progress okay? Have fun, and don't hesitate to ask questions. Usually some questions have already been answered in other posts, and a quick search for a question in the forum can save you some time having to type, and wait.

bobgw1983

Postby bobgw1983 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:42 am

Thanks Pat. Oil in cylinders was done first and I tried cranking w/obplugs in and switch off then on. I opened brush end of starter and don't see anything bad happening. And w/o starter in I get a reading to the cable end from the start button but haven't checked for voltage yet. It will be a day or three before I get to it again. Will keep posting. Loving the site and info. Thx again

bobgw1983

Postby bobgw1983 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:19 pm

Hi patbrandon1. There's a lot to be said for allowing time to do a job. Trying to squeeze in an hour a night to troubleshoot a bike someone else took parts off and are missing has to go from A to Z. OK, Ok , let's face it no excuse is getting me out of this one. I bench tested the starter & it spun. Went to the solenoid & it read 12v on the starter cable without touching anything & when I hit the start button in went to 0. Driving to work I had a flash - since the shifter was taken off, and the bike was moved a couple of times (lucky the starter sprocket & chain were still in place) did I check trans. in neutral?????? NNOOOOO! Put it all back together, shift to neutral, blasted oil all over my car on the compression strock. BUT a beautiful sight. Will try to swing carbs this weekend. If all fires & runs I will to all fluids in the bike and add sea foam to the fuel & oil to scrub components internally. Is there any time frame to let the bike run with that stuff? By the way,my gratitude to all for this website, I plan to download the manual and it's nice to have a place to go where pro's and hacks (like me) can just "throw it out there". Thanks again.

patbrandon1
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:11 am

bobgw1983 wrote:Hi patbrandon1. There's a lot to be said for allowing time to do a job. Trying to squeeze in an hour a night to troubleshoot a bike someone else took parts off and are missing has to go from A to Z. OK, Ok , let's face it no excuse is getting me out of this one. I bench tested the starter & it spun. Went to the solenoid & it read 12v on the starter cable without touching anything & when I hit the start button in went to 0. Driving to work I had a flash - since the shifter was taken off, and the bike was moved a couple of times (lucky the starter sprocket & chain were still in place) did I check trans. in neutral?????? NNOOOOO! Put it all back together, shift to neutral, blasted oil all over my car on the compression strock. BUT a beautiful sight. Will try to swing carbs this weekend. If all fires & runs I will to all fluids in the bike and add sea foam to the fuel & oil to scrub components internally. Is there any time frame to let the bike run with that stuff? By the way,my gratitude to all for this website, I plan to download the manual and it's nice to have a place to go where pro's and hacks (like me) can just "throw it out there". Thanks again.

Hey Bob, glad you got it figured it out. I'm a hack too, but these bikes are well engineered to allow me to work on them. But as far as a time frame for running seafoam, here's how I do it. I would run 2 or 3 courses of the mixture through the gas. I would run it in the crankcase for around 100 miles, making sure not to be too hard on it as the Seafoam thins the oil a bit, but not to easy so the stuff can clean it out. You may want to do this twice, considering how long the bike sat. But probably one course through the crankcase will do a very good job, and make it easier to start as well. If that isn't clear enough, let me know, sometimes I forget to write stuff.

bobgw1983

Postby bobgw1983 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:15 am

Thanks for the help. Good riding

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”