Clattering engine on start-up then smokes after warm-up

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
llang
Motorcycle: 1982 GL 1100

Clattering engine on start-up then smokes after warm-up

Postby llang » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:22 pm

I recently bought a '82 GL 1100 that had been stored for over a yr. I ran Sea Foam thur it on the 1st. tank idling on its stand. Haven't been able to ride it because it won't stay running below about 1500 rpm's. It was smoking a bit and had a noticeable clattering in the engine below 2500 rpm's. On the 2nd. tank again with Sea Foam added, it started and seemed to run much better but still the engine clatters at lower rpm's. I deviated from the manual instr. and started it w/o choking, and it fires off immediately with no smoking until the engine is warmed up, then it smokes solid blue out the left pipe. When I shut it down it's nearly impossible to get started again. My first thought was, being it doesn't smoke until it's warmed up it must be the valve guides. I haven't done a compression test on it, but I can tell by putting my hand in front of the exhust while it's running, the pressure is considerable less on the left side than the right.

Would really appreciate some input on this, looking forward to getting out and riding it before the short MN season is over.

goldwing 1
Motorcycle: 1983 gl1100 standard

Re: Clattering engine on start-up then smokes after warm-up

Postby goldwing 1 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:49 pm

#1 make sure all spark plugs are firing,if so then go #2 I would remove the carbs-take them apart and clean them and make sure all four pilot screws have full travel -(fully closed to all the way backed out)-be very careful with the pilot screws o-ring and washers-very small parts and very very esay to lose-I just got a 83 gl1100 standard-ran very bad at idle-removes the carbs,cleaned them,put then back on-ran better-but not right-done a search an this forum for some help-carbs came back off- made sure all floats were adjuster-checked out my pilot screws, and found #4 did nor fully close,bad threads in carb,cleaned then,ran a very small tiped screwdriver in the threads,worker the pilot screw in and out with a lot of prayer and pb blaster-The Lord Heard my prayer-put them back on-idles very good-I have not bought any parts for my carbs,just wanted to clean them up first,just to see where i am at-its is till a work in progress-i will say this to all-i sure can get them carbs off and apart very fast know.sorry no advise on blue smoke.

80-GL100-INT
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100I Interstate (current)
Previously Owned:
1981 CB 750 Custom
1976 CB 750 Super Sport (punched to 900)
1986 Kawasaki 440 LTD
1974 Suzuki 550
1986 Kawasaki Ninja 600 (First Street Bike-way back in '88)

Postby 80-GL100-INT » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:03 pm

Is it on the side or center stand? When it's smoking.

A little tip for carb. rebuild/cleaning...I know guitar strings have been mentioned before in other threads, but they are a must. If you know someone who plays ask them for the pieces they cut off after they restring, get all sizes to run through the little passages...another good to have is a few different gauge brass gun cleaning brushes. The .22 will clean the idle jets perfectly, make sure you get the o-ring and washer out, run it in and out w/a drill to clean the threads.
If "WE THE PEOPLE" don't defend our rights...Who will?
"Government's first duty is protect the people, not run their lives."...Ronald Reagan

http://www.powdercoat.tk/

llang

Postby llang » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:55 pm

I had thght that I wld have to put the carbs. off but thght I wld try the Sea Foam first. Before I tear into it to do that thou I was hoping to get some input on the engine clatter and smoking on the left cyl/pipe so I cld deal with both issues at once.

goldwing 1
Motorcycle: 1983 gl1100 standard

Postby goldwing 1 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:50 pm

go to the search on this forum-and put in -blue smoke-and rear the posts.

moffat
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100
Interstate

Postby moffat » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:15 am

Engine clatter is experienced when the carbs are unbalanced -this is common on these machines.
As to the blue smoke that's Oil burning and you need to do a compression test first of all. The test should be done with a pressure gauge measuring each in cylinder at a time with the kill switch off and then throttle wide open. If below 140 psi its a problem as the pressure new is about 170 psi at sea level.
The maintenance manual is a must as all the information need is in it and it can be downloaded from this site somewhere.

llang

Postby llang » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:38 am

Hey thanks for the replys! I have been away for awhile and unable to do anything with the bike. I ran it yesterday and the smoking has significantly subsided, hardly anything fromt the right cylinders, so I'm hoping the Seafoam is doing its stuff. I am able to idle it down to about 2000 rpm's, but any lower and it wants to die and then when it does, even when its fully warmed up, it almost impossible to restart w/o full choking it and a lot of effort. This doesn't make any sense to me because I can get it to fire right off when its cold w/o any choke.

I checked the site and found, 'How to synchronize your carburetors', which I plan on doing. But will I have to before that set the idle up to approx. 2000 rpm's. to keep it running while I sync. the carb's? Nothing is mentioned in the article.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”