Brake issue

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
trikerg
Motorcycle: 1980 GL 1100

Brake issue

Postby trikerg » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:18 am

I have a 1980 1100Gl having a rear brake problem . The rear brake works but does not want to release .Problem with the master ?

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Brake issue

Postby virgilmobile » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:54 am

Could be...There's a tiny pressure bleeder hole in the master.
It can also be oxidation buildup under the seal in the slave cylinder,binding the piston.
To find out which....Center stand the bike,stomp on the rear brake and release...assuming the rear wheel will no longer turn free,loosen the bleeder screw on the slave to relieve any pressure....
If the wheel now turns free...its plugged in the master...if it's still bound up,it's the slave....

DaveDanger
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Re: Brake issue

Postby DaveDanger » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:21 pm

Trikerg, I had an identical issue with the brakkes on my 83 GL1100A back when I first purchased it and began working on it.. a little over a year ago. I have a thread on here that runs several pages on that issue.
Long story short, I had both problems... I'd hit the rear brake pedal, and the brakes would not release until I had cracked the inlet fitting at the caliper. This bike had sat for about 7 or 8 years so I expected some of this. I removed the rear caliper and found that the pistons were so tight that I couldn't even force them out of the bores with shop air pressure (150 psi). I cobbled together a few fittings and connected a nitrogen bottle to the caliper inlet and very carefully increased the pressure till the pistons came loose (420 psi). I had fortunately anticipated something like that and had slipped a few small pieces of hardwood where the pistons would be kept from launching into orbit. At any rate... there was some corrosion built up behind the piston seals inside the bore, that were forcing the seals extra tight around the pistons. I cleaned all that out thoroughly and installed completely new seals (By this point, I was working on a used caliper from eBay, as I'd broken the bleeder fitting on my original caliper, trying to remove it earlier in the process), reinstalled everything on the bike, bled the system, and discovered that the rear brakes still had a tendency to lock in and not release! I then pulled the master cylinder and completely rebuilt it with a new kit. I had fits finding the tiny orifice that is mentioned by everyone here, but did eventually, and a reinstall, another bleed procedure... and everything works like a charm :) I have included photos of my components as I cleaned and rebuilt them on that earlier post if you want to see some of the details. I did replace all my brake hoses with stainless hoses while I was in the process. I felt the 30+ year rubber hoses were probably allowing a lot of pressure to simply expand the rubber and not get to my calipers. I really like my brake feel now.

DD
A successful leader is someone who may be chased down the street by an angry mob but will make it look like he is leading a triumphal parade.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”