starting problems

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
chilango
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

starting problems

Postby chilango » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:35 pm

New to the site! I just became the owner of ans awesome 1982 interstate. However. I am having a difficult time getting it to turn over. I bought a new battery. The previous owner told me that all it needed was a battery. Last time it ran was about a year ago. Any suggestion will be appreciated. Thanks.

Roman

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Re: starting problems

Postby littlebeaver » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:32 pm

So it won't crank at all ? I wonder if it is hydro locked... Maybe you should pull the plugs and see if they are wet with fuel.. I would do that first.. Then maybe turn the kill switch to the off position, cover the spark holes with a few rags and crank it, maybe some gas will fly out maybe not.. but one thing for sure you can then rule hydrolocked out and then go to the next item,,Grounds...Clean them all well, especially at the frame..Then the positive connection at the battery, the solenoid and the starter.. then try it..Be sure you move that off switch to the on position to crank it up and of course the plugs are in place too and dry or new....I'm always forgetting that Run switch :shock: for some reason.. :D Well that's a start.. Others will chime in soon ..Could be a bad starter or the starter button itself.. :shock:

chilango

Postby chilango » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:56 pm

Yeah. It wont crank at all. At one point, there was a little action with the starter, but it was very mild...no turning over of the engine. I will try all those recommendations and see what happens. Thanks for the advice littlebeaver!!

Roman

littlebeaver
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:57 am

On these bike's I have learned that it is highly important to shut off the fuel valve near the tank when not in operation, I think the fuel leaks into the cylinders walls and this happens because its leaking past a float needle valve which gets worn after years of use, its also common to get a leak when the bike sits on its side stand but not always...I got hydrolock once because of a bad float valve in the carbs...The engine not wanting to turn over like that is a classic sign from what I learned and read...One other thing I would do is remove the cap on the rear of the engine[17mm socket] and then turn the crank bolt, up only or clockwise [12mm socket] but before you do this pull the plugs and it will be easier to turn the crank, if the crank turns fine the engine is probably fine..If not you might have a locked up engine.. doubtful... It's probably just a solenoid or starter issue...Ground..Remember these wires are very old ... Admin. has a great how to for adjust the valves and it has photos to show where the bolt is I'm speaking of on the rear of the engine..here it is...for you all special and such.. :lol: ...viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2229

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:39 am

Need more detailed info:

take the plugs out, tie the wires up so there is not chance for a spark near the open holes,set stop switch to off..too = no spark for now.

take the cap off the 2/4 side of the rear of the engine 17mm cap then turn the engine only clockwise with a 12mm wrench on the bolt in there..does it spin easily??? If not = locked engine..bent valve or ???
You are done until youi fix that...if spins go on....
take battery side cover off

key on press starter button

if you hear a click at the solenoid but no starter movement = starter bad (or engine locked) or low battery or bad circuit to starter. So check battery must have at 12 V's idle and 10V's under load(button pushed) if that's checks out...you need a meter for this...

Another check to see if the solenoid is bad even if it clicks is to jump the two big posts on it..use an old screw driver or a old battery cable may see big sparks :) ..if it turns the starter = bad solenoid.

then clean all starter circuit connections including the ground behind the engine mounting triangle for the battery ..be careful with the starter positive lug if you turn it your starter is toast..hold locking nut with 10mm wrench while you loosen the top nut also 10mm. Check/replace the starter cable it may look good but be totally corroded inside same with batteries negative ground cable. when that's done try again..if no luck

then rebuild your starter.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

chilango

Postby chilango » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:08 am

I removed the starter and cleaned it up and packed it with grease. I removed the spark plugs and it turned right over. Now I will clean the carbs and hopefully it will start. I also noticed there are bad leaks to the break system. But I'll worry about that when I get the engine running and the carbs calibrated. Thanks for the tech advice. I appreciate your help. I will post some pictures when I have a chance.

Roman

chilango

Postby chilango » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:11 pm

This morning I was able to install the carbs and it started right away! I put new spark plugs and added new gas. However, the problem I have now, is that when it warms up it makes a grinding sound in first gear as I pull away from a complete stop. Only in first gear. It feels like the clutch is slipping, but Im not sure what it is. Im going to change the oil and see if this helps. Again thanks for all the tech advice....Oh! I was able to bleed the breaks and they work just fine!

Roman

80-GL100-INT
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100I Interstate (current)
Previously Owned:
1981 CB 750 Custom
1976 CB 750 Super Sport (punched to 900)
1986 Kawasaki 440 LTD
1974 Suzuki 550
1986 Kawasaki Ninja 600 (First Street Bike-way back in '88)

Postby 80-GL100-INT » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:47 am

If this is your first time running, I would prepare to change the oil a couple of times. Drain oil and change filter, fill it a little short and add a whole can of SeaFoam or Marvels MO to top it off, go for a good ride 40-50 miles or so then change the oil and filter again. This will get everything all cleaned up.
If "WE THE PEOPLE" don't defend our rights...Who will?
"Government's first duty is protect the people, not run their lives."...Ronald Reagan

http://www.powdercoat.tk/

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:00 pm

chilango wrote:This morning I was able to install the carbs and it started right away! I put new spark plugs and added new gas. However, the problem I have now, is that when it warms up it makes a grinding sound in first gear as I pull away from a complete stop. Only in first gear. It feels like the clutch is slipping, but Im not sure what it is. Im going to change the oil and see if this helps. Again thanks for all the tech advice....Oh! I was able to bleed the breaks and they work just fine!

Roman

That grinding noise is most likely the primary chain rattling. Doing an accurate carburetor sync will normally fix this problem.

chilango

Postby chilango » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:30 pm

80-GL100-INT wrote:If this is your first time running, I would prepare to change the oil a couple of times. Drain oil and change filter, fill it a little short and add a whole can of SeaFoam or Marvels MO to top it off, go for a good ride 40-50 miles or so then change the oil and filter again. This will get everything all cleaned up.

Thanks! I did this already and will be ready to do it again if I have to. Thanks again 80!

Roman

chilango

Postby chilango » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:32 pm

[/quote]That grinding noise is most likely the primary chain rattling. Doing an accurate carburetor sync will normally fix this problem.[/quote]

Thanks. That is one thing i didn't do, and will do in the next few days when I get some spare time. Thanks Wing Admin.

chilango

Postby chilango » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:38 pm

I'm really exited about getting this bike fixed! I got it for $1000 and it came with a sidecar! I feel very fortunate. Although it came with a salvage title, it is very complete and clean. I really don't know how or why the salvage title. I asked the previous owner, and he said he got it like that. If I make it road-worthy, I plan to ride it to Cabo San Lucas next summer and take it on some off road adventure in Baja...Anyway, thanks for all your tech advice and I hope I do a good job with synchronizing the carburators...

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:55 pm

But I cannot see it, soooooo, perhaps a photo of it is in order..Please :lol: thanks man...

chilango

Postby chilango » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:25 pm

littlebeaver wrote:But I cannot see it, soooooo, perhaps a photo of it is in order..Please :lol: thanks man...

I'll put one up tomorrow!... :D

chilango

Postby chilango » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:45 pm

still learning how to upload. sorry for the poor quality, it came from my phone...

patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 I
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:10 pm

Welcome to the site chilango. This is a really good one to learn about these Wings. So many helpful, kind folks have helped me out freely giving of their time.

Nice find on that Wing and sidecar, good price too.

So after reading all of this thread, I gather that cleaning and re-lubing the starter is what made it able to turn over? What do you think the problem that you fixed was?

Plus, when I got my present Wing two years ago, I had that rattle/grinding sound in first gear that you mentioned that you have. After all of the other things I did to get it running well, and making sure it won't fail (i.e. change the timing belt, check and adjust valves, clean carbs, etc...) I synced the carbs as per WingAdmin's how to, and the rattle went away, and it has been running fantastic ever since. I did have a coil go out on me, but the PO had given me a box of parts, and there was one in there.

But change those timing belts! If one of them break, you will ruin the engine. Keep us posted on you adventure, and we all like pictures.

chilango

Postby chilango » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:41 pm

1. removed and disassembled and cleaned the starter.
2. removed and cleaned the entire body and all four carbs...it was full of junk!
3. removed all spark plugs and replaced them.
4. replaced the battery with a new one.
5. installed the clean starter and carburators.
6. cranked the engine with the spark plugs out of the heads and all kinds of fluids (gas, water, and even some coolant) came out flying. I believe this is what they call hydrolock. I replaced the new plugs, I increased the idle screw to keep it running, but I didn't calibrate the carbs. That's when I notices that grinding sound, which I was told by WingAdmin could be the result of not calibrating the carbs, which I indent to do.

I have to tell you all, that this is the most helpful site for these types of motorcycles. I am part of harley and klr forums, and they are not as helpful as this one. I really appreciate your technical support to help me get this moto running. Thank you very much!

Oldbear
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby Oldbear » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:49 pm

That's because Wing owners are just nicer people ;)
My wife is the greatest - she won't let me sell my bike - I'm less grumpy when I ride...

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:19 pm

wow, whata cool looking bike...And a sidecar to boot...Man it's a classic, enjoy it... :D

chilango

Postby chilango » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:45 pm

Oldbear wrote:That's because Wing owners are just nicer people ;)

Well, thanks Oldbear!!

chilango

Postby chilango » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:48 pm

littlebeaver wrote:wow, whata cool looking bike...And a sidecar to boot...Man it's a classic, enjoy it... :D

Thanks. Just finished taking the front break calipers apart. Boy, were they dirty. I had to buy a new front master cylinder. I hope to have good front breaks by tomorrow. Then on to synchronizing the carbs...and maybe changing the time belt while I'm at it...Thanks again!!

chilango

Postby chilango » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:36 pm

Took her out for a ride. She still had that grinding sound coming out of the timing belt area. I calibrated the carbs. The moto runs a lot smoother!!! When it warmed up the grinding seemed to be less. Do you guys think I may need to adjust the valves, or even change the timing belt? Again, thanks for any tech advice!

Near Dodgers Stadium:

Los Angeles skyline in the Background:

...a closer Look...

Black and White:

Again, thanks!!! You guys made this possible!

patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 I
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:46 pm

Great pics!!! But CHANGE those timing belts!!! (Please)

littlebeaver has a great post on how to do this, and he is such a cool dude. I love reading his comments and seeing his ingenuity. I bet if you asked him, he will give you the link to his how-to, and any other help you need.

But the continued rattle even after the carb sync makes me think. Are you positive they are synced 100% correctly? Even just a little bit off will cause the rattle. When you said it lessons when warm, that makes me think it is still out of sync a bit.

But, another thought is, you are hauling a bit more weight than normal for the Wing, with the sidecar on it. Don't be afraid to give it a lot of gas when starting out in first. These bikes are very high RPM friendly.

But after you DO change the belts, and maybe adjust the valves, you will need to sync the carbs again. That is the last step in this process.

Oldbear
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby Oldbear » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:00 pm

Very glad to see you've been out riding. :D

If you know for certain that the timing belt has been changed in the last little bit - don't worry. But, as with any interference fit engine - if your timing belt goes the least problem you'll have is a bent valve or two... it only gets more expensive from there. I had mine jump a tooth on one side and it bent at least two valves - one you couldn't tell until I dropped it off my trophy shelf and it snapped along a fault line.

Its a good preventive maintenance item. Its been said here already, but I'll say it again - read some of the How-to's - WingAdmin, littlebeaver and the others have great pictures and write ups on how to fix and maintain these old girls.
My wife is the greatest - she won't let me sell my bike - I'm less grumpy when I ride...

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:25 pm

Here is a most excellent post on installing the timing belts with excellent photo's... :D http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3544 I change my belts out a little different than he does but his write up is really good....

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”