GL1100 7volt regulator replacement

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Standard; 1998 F6C Standard

GL1100 7volt regulator replacement

Postby sambuck » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:27 pm

The replacement regulator has three wires, red, green, and black, but the old original regulator has two black wires and a green. Also, the original regulator uses butt connectors to place into the flange curls on two flat spade connectors, so that the power wire, the hot connection has two outlet wires, but the new regulator only has a round lug connector. The old regulator has a green wire leading into the wiring harness -- I would have to cut this wire to remove the old regulator. Anyway, I'm confused and the instructions that came with the new regulator gives me no guidance. How does one wire this new regulator up?

An inch ahead, all is darkness

Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: GL1100 7volt regulator replacement

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:29 am

I'm a bit mystified - having owned a 1982 GL1100, and having replaced the 7 volt regulator on it (in fact, that's what led to my manufacturing these things in the first place), I know just what you should be seeing. From what you're describing, I can guess one of three things:

- Someone has replaced it with something different in the past
- You're looking at the wrong part
- Honda had a bizarre change for some 1100's

I doubt it's the third option, as from the many hundreds of these I've sold to 1100 owners, I've never heard of such a thing before. The regulator should look exactly like the one in the picture on the back of the instruction page - picture also shown below. The OEM regulator has the following:

Ground: Dual female bullet connector, green wire
+12V Input: Male bullet connector, black wire with brown stripe
+7V Output: Terminal ring, green wire with black stripe

Two wires plug into the ground connector on the regulator, both of those wires are green (all ground wires are green in Honda bikes).

The male bullet connector on the regulator plugs into a dual female bullet connector, along with another bullet connector. All wires into and out of this connector are black with a brown stripe - this is the color of wire that denotes everything powered by the 5 amp "Engine" fuse.

The terminal ring goes onto a stud on a piece of metal in between the fuel and temp gauges, and is held in place with a nut.

I'm at a bit of a loss, because even examining the GL1100 schematic, I can't find any component that has the connectors with wire colors you describe. Is it possible for you to take a picture of what you are seeing, so that you show what you're looking at?

Here is what the original 7 volt regulator in a GL1100 looks like:

GL1100 7 volt regulator
GL1100 7 volt regulator

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”