what to do during a rainy winter?

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
alastair.kj
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Interstate

what to do during a rainy winter?

Postby alastair.kj » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:55 pm

I am moving to Victoria, BC on Vancouver Island and I plan on potentially riding the bike year around since the winter only brings rain rather than snow and the temp doesn't generally go below 4 degrees celsius.

I do not have covered parking however and I am wondering how the moisture in the air (Pacific Ocean) might affect the bike. Is there anything that I should do differently with the bike over the winter months?

Am I being completely unrealistic in assuming that I should be able to ride throughout the year (on the non rainy days)?

Will just keeping a cover on my bike be alright?

Just let me know what you guys think and any advice you might have for colder month upkeep with the bike.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers,
Alastair

Wilcoy02
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Re: what to do during a rainy winter?

Postby Wilcoy02 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:43 pm

Use a winter weight oil in it. Keep the fuel tank full to prevent water in the tank and rusting inside.Get a bike cover for it and use it.
Make sure your tires are in good shape and check the date of the mfg on the tire. If over 5 years old replace.

I have a 1100 and I put the alternator on it so I could add lights and more for the heated clothing-Gloves, and heated jacket. Without the alternator the 1100 does not have the available electric to run these things. I never ran the bike in winter but now I have found I am riding to -10c with the heated clothes. Just a thought for your future endeavers.

alastair.kj
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby alastair.kj » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:11 pm

Thanks! I'm not going to bother with the heated clothes. Ill just dress really warmly. What grade of oil is best?

Oldbear
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby Oldbear » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:13 pm

I run 10W40 motorcycle oil during the normal season - and have run 5w30 in the winter. As for storage, look into one of those egg looking bike shelters. It may cost some coin - but will protect your Wing...
My wife is the greatest - she won't let me sell my bike - I'm less grumpy when I ride...

oldmopars
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

Postby oldmopars » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:45 pm

I am not too far from there, down in Olympia Wa. I have been riding in the rain with my 1100 and it is not bad. Still working out the rain on the wind screen issue, but as long as I keep moving the rain does not affect me much. I worry a bit about the crazy cagers that can't drive in the rain, but it is still more fun to ride rain or shine than to drive my car(and I have a nice car).
Get good clothes, good gloves etc.

Oldbear
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby Oldbear » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:41 pm

I have a nice set of Joe Rockets (Jacket/Pants/Gloves) that I'll often wear when I know the weather will be bad - better than trying to slip into rain gear with wet leathers... and the one glove has a squeegee on the back of the thumb to clear my helmet.
My wife is the greatest - she won't let me sell my bike - I'm less grumpy when I ride...

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:58 am

oldmopars wrote:I am not too far from there, down in Olympia Wa. I have been riding in the rain with my 1100 and it is not bad. Still working out the rain on the wind screen issue, but as long as I keep moving the rain does not affect me much. I worry a bit about the crazy cagers that can't drive in the rain, but it is still more fun to ride rain or shine than to drive my car(and I have a nice car).
Get good clothes, good gloves etc.

I've been using this stuff for some time, and it works amazingly well: Moto Solutions RainCoat windshield coating - eliminates the problem of windshield visibility in the rain.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”