Tac cable replacement

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
corvette
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100 I

Tac cable replacement

Postby corvette » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:14 pm

HELP, My tac cable on my 1980 GL1100I broke, and can anyone tell me the best way to remove it and install the new one that I bought?
My hand is to big and can not disconnect the cable from the back of the tac because the fairing windshield is to close & I can't find where it connects at the bottom.
I'm mechanically challenged at times.
Thanks for any feed back.
Gary

Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Re: Tac cable replacement

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:01 pm

You will have to take off the faring to get to the back of the instrument cluster.
The other end of the cable is right on the fuel pump- there is a bolt that holds it in place, once you remove the bolt-the cable will slide out.
I would replace the small oil seal that the cable sits on.
Read the diy article found on this web site on how to replace your fuel pump. Once you read it, things should fall into place. Keep us informed on your progress. Regards, Johnyy

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:35 pm

You don't have to remove the fairing - I have replaced the tach and speedo cables on my 1100 without touching the fairing. It helps to have small hands, but it can be done.

corvette

Postby corvette » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:30 pm

Thank you,
A friend of mine and I changed it out a few years back and we did not need to remove the fairing either.
If I remember correctly we did remove the windshield to get to the back of the tac.
If you have big hands what are your suggestion?
What is the best way to connect the cable to the lower end and is it next to the fuel pump as another person suggested?
Thanks for all suggestions.
Gary

corvette

Postby corvette » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:38 pm

I found where the cable comes in buy the fuel pump, but looks to be a problem snacking the cable and casing from the back of the tac down to where it connects next to the fuel pump. Any suggestion how to get that cable from point A to B.
Thanks guys and gals.
Gary

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:22 pm

corvette wrote:I found where the cable comes in buy the fuel pump, but looks to be a problem snacking the cable and casing from the back of the tac down to where it connects next to the fuel pump. Any suggestion how to get that cable from point A to B.
Thanks guys and gals.
Gary

When replacing cables, I normally fasten the new one to the end of the old one, then just pull the old one out, which pulls the new one into place, already correctly routed.

corvette

Postby corvette » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:56 pm

Wing Admin,
I was thinking the same thing but felt I should hear from some one who has done it to see if it would work.
Thank you very much for your help and I'll give it a try and let you know how it comes out.
Gary

redbug
Motorcycle: 1983 Gl1100I
1986 Harley FLHT

Postby redbug » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:17 am

I just did a tach cable on mine.I turned the bars, stood on a step ladder to reach the cable on the tach end(your arm needs to be double jointed) got it broke loose ,then went down the right side between the tank and the faring ,came up under and finished un screwing it. I taped the ends together with electrical tape and gently pulled it through,waiting for kinks,hangups,fished it on in.What I have discovered is that you use good electrical tape.I used GE tape.Start wrapping the cable about two inches back from the ends and start wrapping to the other cable,taking two wraps or so where the ends meet and finished off two inches back on the other cable.I was trying not to make a big lump where the ends meet to decrease hangups while threading the cable.Shazam,no problem.This was a official gold wing cable,real flexible and forgiving.Now I have to go get a o-ring,didn't know about that.I used channel lock 424 pliers for reach on the tach end,really small.They make a ignition plier,really really small that is handy tool also for tight places.Thats all I Know bout that.
" Ridin on Tulsa Time "

corvette

Postby corvette » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:20 pm

I want to thank you for all your help and suggestions.
I did what you suggested and it worked up to a point. My new cable casing was larger than the old one, so it did not want to travel the same size path. So rather than go through all the trouble of taking off the back trunk to get to the seat to remove it to get in and remove the cover of the tank to get down to the blockage where the cable route is to go.
I just took the new inter cable out and slipped it down the existing cable jacket after removing the broken inter cable.
It's all hooked up and reading to go.
Thanks again for your help.
Gary

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”