Oil spray

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
clee1985
Motorcycle: 1983 Goldwing Interstate

Oil spray

Postby clee1985 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:11 pm

Hey guys, new to the site and new to goldwings. Bought an 83 interstate in good condition.

Here is my question: I have oil spray on the chrome side cover and splash back to the rear saddle bags on both sides. the valve covers were sealed
be the po in nov. 12 any suggestions as to where this oil could be coming from. I realize that oil spreads so there is probably not a lot leaking to make this look like a real problem.

Thanks for the help.

Also has anyone found a fix for the chatter on takeoff in first gear, I hear this is normal.

Craig

Oldbear
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Re: Oil spray

Postby Oldbear » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:53 pm

Spray some degreaser and wash your bike - go for some rides and see were it might be leaking from - the artillery attack from the Wing is normal but can be fixed when you adjsut valves/balance the carbs/etc - a good running Wing will often not have as bad a noise - also, get your revs up before pulling away - hope that helps
My wife is the greatest - she won't let me sell my bike - I'm less grumpy when I ride...

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:00 am

What do you mean by "the valve covers were sealed by the PO?" Did he install new rubber or did he seal with silicone or something? If he used something other than new rubber seals then you have your answer. Just take a paper towel and wipe under the valve covers to check.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 I
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:54 pm

clee1985 wrote:Hey guys, new to the site and new to goldwings. Bought an 83 interstate in good condition.

Here is my question: I have oil spray on the chrome side cover and splash back to the rear saddle bags on both sides. the valve covers were sealed
be the po in nov. 12 any suggestions as to where this oil could be coming from. I realize that oil spreads so there is probably not a lot leaking to make this look like a real problem.

Thanks for the help.

Also has anyone found a fix for the chatter on takeoff in first gear, I hear this is normal.

Craig

Welcome to the site Craig. It's a great place to learn about these cool Wings.

I would have to believe that the valve covers are the culprit. The gaskets and bolt seal washers are redily available on Ebay for not to much money. But I would just pull them off and look at them to see what they look like. Maybe a cleanup would cure it. But don't use that gasket sealing stuff on these. The right parts will fix it.

While you have the valve covers off, you might as well adjust them. There are great how to's about all of this stuff on this site. Plus, don't go by any P.O. I'm not saying they all lie, but I just want to know things are done right, so I do them no matter what the P.O. says. Change the timing belts, run Seafoam through a couple tanks of gas, and sync the carbs. Your rattle noise is chain rattle from inside the engine, and almost always cured by tuning up a few things. Belts, plugs, air and oil filters...

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”