1983 GL1100A Rear Tire

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
wingnut1100
Motorcycle: 1983 Honda GL1100A (Mine)
1992 Suzuki GS500EN (My Wife's)
2001 Honda Shadow VLX600C (My Wife's)
1985 Kawasaki VN700-A1 (Mine)

1983 GL1100A Rear Tire

Postby wingnut1100 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:54 pm

I have a 1983 GL1100A that is due for a 140/90-16 rear tire.

I am curious as to what brands and models of tires other GL1100 'Wingers have had great and awesome performance with. I have had a number of Dunflops on my various bikes over the years, and have never been really happy with them, especially the ones that were on my 'Wing when I bought it. (NOTE: I will NOT buy Continental tires. My wife's bike had them on it and the sidewalls started cracking open after they had been on it about 12 months. The tires did not even have 1,000 miles on them!!! :x )

When I ride, I am usually running close to, or at, gross weight, plus I also pull a small trailer on occasion, so I need a tire that will handle the weight. I do not do quick starts and stops, unless absolutely necessary. I'm one of those guys that is always trying to best my own previous fuel consumption. I don't run Interstate highways any more than I have to. I prefer the slow, hilly, winding, scenic country and two-lane roads, usually keeping my speed at 60-65 mph.

It currently has a Kenda Kruz K673 140/90-16 on the rear, and I have actually been pretty satisfied with the tire, considering no more than I paid for it. However, I would like to find a quality tire that rides well and grips well in ALL weather conditions (barring ice and snow), that will get me more than 10-12k miles, but I don't want to have take out a second mortgage to pay for one, either. With the Kenda Kruz, I am changing rear tires every year to year and a half. :(

Thank you, in advance, for any input!!!

Kim O. Walker
aka: 'Wing Nut'
Payne, Ohio, USA
-------------------
Riding for the Son!
-------------------

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: 1983 GL1100A Rear Tire

Postby RBGERSON » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:28 am

Lots of posts on tires and oil..do a search but Shinko, bridgestone and metzler have gotten good ratings.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

Oddbirdwithbrokewing
Motorcycle: 1975 gl1000
1983 gl1100A Aspencade

Postby Oddbirdwithbrokewing » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:55 am

It's hard for some one else to pin point a tire that meets your own personal needs. There may be someone that is near to your riding style and habits but might not maintain proper air pressure, may be riding in a much hotter climate and on rougher roads, just to name a few. They may not be putting on the miles that you do. You know too that what you gain in gripping the road you may lose in overall mileage because they are softer and more pliable. I know I'm preaching to the choir. I use tires that I believe are going to be reliable and stick to the road while I am riding regardless of the mileage I might get. I doubt that there is a tire that will do it all. I have and now use Avon Venom tires and have been happy with there product.

wingnut1100

Postby wingnut1100 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:24 pm

Thank you, Oddbirdwithbrokewing!

I know there are an infinite number of variables, but thought I'd see if there is one that might 'pop up' or be recurring more so over others. I have actually been very pleased with the Kenda Kruz, but would like something that gets more mileage as it gets kind of old changing rear tires as often as I do. I have heard some guys claim to be getting 20,000 miles on the rear tire on their GL1100's. If they are being truthful, I would be curious to know what they are using and how it grips, responds, etc.; to try and get an overall image, if you will.

Thanks, again!!!

Kim O. Walker
Payne, Ohio, USA
-------------------
Riding for the Son!
-------------------

patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 I
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:33 pm

Yes there are as many opinions about tires as there are members. And on oil preference as well. But there is no harm in asking for other's experience.

This Spring, I put on a set of Shinko 777's because A friend of mine said he was happy with his, and for the price, I thought I would give them a try. Here is my assessment of them...I will put the on again, when it comes to time to change them. I have about 5,000 miles on them and they are wearing very nicely. From what I see, I am guessing they will last around 12-14,000 miles. And run great in the rain. I am really impressed with how they don't react to highway grooves when you cross them. It's like you don't feel them at all. My Dunlop's were terrible on grooves, and I would have to fight the tires whenever I crossed one. That's my experience.

I have some friends that run Avon tires, and have heard good things about them, but rather than take out a mortgage to by tires, I tried Shinko, and am VERY pleased that I did. I researched about tires and oil for about two weeks before I made my choices when I got my first Wing years ago. I finally decided to just do it, rather than keep researching, because it was starting to get to the point of overthinking, and my brain can't handle that.

Oh, and one other thing, whoever is getting 20,000 miles fro their tires is probably using car tires, and I don't venture there. If a motorcycle tire ever gets 20,000 miles on it, I'll use it in an instant. But I don't believe that can happen.

Let us know what you choose, and keep us posted on how they work for you.

wingnut1100

Postby wingnut1100 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:42 pm

Thank you, patbrandon1!

Kim O. Walker
Payne, Ohio, USA
-------------------
Riding for the Son!
-------------------

lacanars
Motorcycle: Current: 1982 GL1100I Interstate
Previous:
1981 Honda CM400C
1978 Yamaha XS400

Postby lacanars » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:49 pm

patbrandon1 wrote:Yes there are as many opinions about tires as there are members. And on oil preference as well. But there is no harm in asking for other's experience.

This Spring, I put on a set of Shinko 777's because A friend of mine said he was happy with his, and for the price, I thought I would give them a try. Here is my assessment of them...I will put the on again, when it comes to time to change them. I have about 5,000 miles on them and they are wearing very nicely. From what I see, I am guessing they will last around 12-14,000 miles. And run great in the rain. I am really impressed with how they don't react to highway grooves when you cross them. It's like you don't feel them at all. My Dunlop's were terrible on grooves, and I would have to fight the tires whenever I crossed one. That's my experience.

I have some friends that run Avon tires, and have heard good things about them, but rather than take out a mortgage to by tires, I tried Shinko, and am VERY pleased that I did. I researched about tires and oil for about two weeks before I made my choices when I got my first Wing years ago. I finally decided to just do it, rather than keep researching, because it was starting to get to the point of overthinking, and my brain can't handle that.

Oh, and one other thing, whoever is getting 20,000 miles fro their tires is probably using car tires, and I don't venture there. If a motorcycle tire ever gets 20,000 miles on it, I'll use it in an instant. But I don't believe that can happen.

Let us know what you choose, and keep us posted on how they work for you.

I was talking to a buddy that rides an Electra Glide, maybe a 2011 or 12, he told me that others have told him that the newer HD's are getting 20,000 out of the tires on them. Not sure if it is true, but if I could get that kind of milage out of tires I would be willing to spend a few hundred. I would rather be changing tires every 2.5 to 3 years rather than every 1.5 to 2.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”