Front brakes sticking

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
aznyaz
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100I

Front brakes sticking

Postby aznyaz » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:33 pm

I've read a bunch of threads on this topic and have just begun to try things out.

The only thing I've done so far is open the bleeders to see if this would relieve the pressure on my brakes and it didn't do anything. So, if I've read earlier threads correctly, with no pressure relief is this an indication that my calipers are seizing? I used a caliper expander to push the piston into the caliper body and they seemed kind of tight. Does this sound like they're in need of a rebuild?

I have not yet checked the master cylinder but will get to that soon.

Thanks in advance.

MJ

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Front brakes sticking

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:26 am

If you open the bleeder and the brakes are still locked on, then yes, that points to the caliper being the (or part of) the issue. On my 1100, when this happened to my rear brake, I found that the rear caliper needed to be rebuilt - the pistons wouldn't retract. I pulled it apart, cleaned it, rebuilt it with a rebuild kit, and it worked great. I put it back on, and 20 miles later, I was burning up brake pads again with a locked caliper. I opened the bleeder and let pressure out, which unlocked the brakes. I rode it home without using the rear brake again, and it turned out that the return port in the rear master cylinder was blocked. Pulled the master off and rebuilt it, then all the problems went away.

aznyaz

Postby aznyaz » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:39 am

Thanks Admin, just want to know I'm heading in the right direction. I haven't checked the return port yet on the front master cylinder but that will be next. Is there a way to do that without draining it/tearing it apart? I have the perfect tool for checking it and cleaning it out: old guitar strings.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:01 am

You can try removing the cover, either siphoning out or sucking out the fluid with a syringe (or use a clean lint-free shop cloth to soak it up), and get to it that way.

aznyaz

Postby aznyaz » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:30 am

Thanks again, Admin!!

aznyaz

Postby aznyaz » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:01 pm

I was just looking at the PartsNMore site to get an idea on what I'll need if I have to re-build my calipers and noticed that the front brake pads they supply for an 81 GL 1100I look nothing like mine but the ones they show for rear brakes are what I have on the front. What's up with that? I've noticed that all my calipers look the same except the right front is handed differently from the left front and rear, so am I correct in assuming that the pads for calipers are all the same?

aznyaz

Postby aznyaz » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:23 pm

I checked my calipers individually with an expander to see if my pistons were retracting when I would apply pressure to the brakes and let it go. Both pistons retracted but when I installed the right side caliper it would not retract completely when the caliper bolts were torqued to the required tightness. The wheel still spins but there is slight pressure on the rotor. I just got back from a 95 mile run with moderate to light brake use. The rotor is noticably hotter than the left one but not seriously hot, no smoking or smell. It also appears that the master cylinder is working properly because I could see brake fluid movement just above the return port when I would release the brake.

What could be causing the caliper to do this when I torque it down?

BTW, I answered my own question regarding the brake pads and they're all the same according to the parts manual.

wjnfirearms
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Postby wjnfirearms » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:41 am

What you describe with the uneven caliper pressure could be caused by a narrowing of the internal channel of the brake line. As you force fluid back to the master cylinder, the channel is narrowed and causes resistance. Old flexible lines are prime candidates for this. From the outside, it looks just fine. Inside where you cannot see is where the issue lies.

I had a similar problem with my 1000 and it was the return in the master cylinder being contaminated. It took several flushes to clear out the problem. Just one or two may not be enough, so I'd still do this again even though it is possible that you need new brake lines. Just because you see fluid movement doesn't mean that the return is completely clear of contaminants.
Member, Patriot Guard Riders, Blue Knights LEMC, PA VII

aznyaz

Postby aznyaz » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:03 am

Thanks, I'll check that. I haven't yet done a flush of the system, and the fluid in there was pretty clean too. But, as I described above, I could see that both pistons would retract when I applied pressure to the brakes and released them. I then installed the left caliper and torqued it down but kept the right one off, did the same test and both pistons retracted. I could tell the left was retracting because the wheel would spin after releasing the brake. I installed the right caliper, torqued it down and did the same test and the right caliper would drag. I tried something else though at this point. I loosened the caliper blots on the right side but left them in place to keep the caliper stable and did my test again but this time the right caliper piston would retract fully to allow the wheel to spin freely. This is where I get confused. Why would the caliper drag after torqueing it down but not when loosened?

Looking for input.

MJ

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:04 pm

It could also be the calipers are filled with gunk and need to be rebuilt and cleaned out. There might not be enough resistance when testing, but bolted on, enough uneven pressure on the pistons to cause them to bind up.

aznyaz

Postby aznyaz » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:32 pm

I'm sure they would benefit from a re-build. If I can't get them to work right I will do that. I'm not convinced that the problem is with the caliper binding. I'm just confused as to why the piston will retract when the caliper is off the bracket or installed but not fully torqued down. Could it be the caliper pins? I just looked at the parts manual, and I've noticed this when I had the calipers off. There are 2 different pins. Are they interchangeable or are they intended for dedicated holes in the bracket? I cleaned the caliper(s) and bracket(s) up and lubed the pins with high temp grease, too.

The Wolf
Motorcycle: 2013 1800 /Roadsmith Trike
1995 1500 Aspencade

Postby The Wolf » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:30 pm

If your bike is a 1981 you probably should replace the flexible brake line too in addition to the caliper rebuild. I have an 83 Interstate and my back brakes were sticking and after doing the master and caliper the final fix was replacing the rubber brake line- I also replaced the other 2 brakes line to! Much better with the brakes! I went to a hydraulic shop and they made all 3 lines for $77. sS coated lines.

The Wolf in Ridgely!

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”