How to re-key lock cylinders

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Aspencade

How to re-key lock cylinders

Postby jeffcosmo » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:15 pm

I had a cassette issue, some may have read. Looked like the PO had the player worked on, and they possibly just sent another unit, failing to change the lock.

Anyway. This is how I rekeyed the lock to work with my one key (I hate large keyrings:

First, you need to remove the SS cover. I had to file a slot, to get it started off.
Slowly peel the rim up, and 3/4 of the way through, it'll pull off.

Pull the key cylinder out, being careful with the latch, it may want to shoot out.

Now, put your key in. If you'll notice in the first pic, the tumblers are not even. They must be even for it to operate.

Leaving the tumblers that are even (if any), swap the others around, being careful of the little, tiny springs. You may get lucky and find the right combination with what you have. Otherwise, you have a couple choices:
1) if you're OK with lessened security, use what tumblers you have (I recommend at least three) and reassemble.
2) File down the tumblers that aren't even, until they are. The little buggers are hardened, so they're tough.
3) Take it to a locksmith, who will have the correct tumblers.

That done, place the latch and spring back into the case. Do NOT press the latch into the case any more than the spring lets you. Or get good at looking for little springs. (if you DO lose it, a pen spring will work fine [oops ]).
Lube the cylinder, and reinsert it, paying attention to the peg that engages the latch. When the latch stops the cylinder, press the latch in and the cylinder down. Check the action with the key.

Is OK?? Good.

Now, reinstall the SS cover. I did this with a small hammer, tapping the edge whilst the opposite edge was at 45º to a 90º edge of my vise. This started the edge down on two sides at once. It's fiddly to get this all down, but definitely do-able. The edge IS on the downlow, so a bit off won't hurt overmuch.

So, that's my story, and I now have all locks operating with one key.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”