Smoking & Idle

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I

Smoking & Idle

Postby bigray122 » Sat May 01, 2010 9:46 am

Onto my next venture in keeping up my 1983 GL1100 Interstate. So I bought it last season, so far this year I've bought a new battery, rebuilt the starter, then replaced the starter for a brand new one. When I got the bike it would idle from roughly 900rpm and build to 2500rpms then back and forth in the progression. At some points it will then idle so low it just conks out. Also when the bike is revved up, and or when I get into it to get up to speed, large amounts of black smoke come billowing out of the bike. Also, I'm forced to replace the plugs (carry new or cleaned with me at all times) about every 300-600 miles. Otherwise in city driving, after about 40 minutes it sputters and hesitates and sound like I've lost a cylinder. It then goes away after a period of prolonged highway driving.

Ahh yes, there are other issues that have arisen since the purchase. The brake lights don't come on when I hit the front brakes, the seals at the forks look horrendous, all the calipers need rebuilt and I'm not sure the fan has ever once come on since I've owned it. The windshield has so many little stress marks in it that at night an oncoming cars headlights light up the windshield and blind me. Its also broken in one spot.....

That is the short laundry list and hopefully I'll hit the lottery to get it fixed. Until then some feed back would be appreciated.

Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Smoking & Idle

Postby WingAdmin » Sat May 01, 2010 2:17 pm

I'd check the cylinder compression, to see if you have a leaky ring that is causing oil to foul the plugs/cylinders and produce smoke.

Front brake switches (if it is the switch that's bad, and not the wiring in between) can be had from for very cheap.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”