Just finished stator replacement

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
echinus1988
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Aspencade

Just finished stator replacement

Postby echinus1988 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:36 pm

My bike is a 1980 Honda Goldwing GL1100.

Well, I had to do it! I removed the engine and replaced the stator. If it goes out, I'm going the alternator route because it is a lot of work. Yes, I took pictures and hope they are good enough to assist someone else who decides to take the engine out.

Now to my problem. The bike ran before removing the engine and rear cover. Rough and not really well but it ran.

I rebuilt the carburetors and tried setting float levels. It is impossible to find any real information on where to measure. To high and it shuts off the fuel, too low, you run too rich if I understand it correctly. So where is the proper placement to measure and set the floats? I measured from the top of the edge for the gasket to the top of the float while holding the carb at 90 degrees to the table. Is that the correct way?

The major problem is, the bike ran before I took off the rear cover. Now I can't get any spark! I understand it might have to do with the pulse generator but could I have damaged something when I took off the rear cover? Could something have come loose? Are there condensers on my bike, if so, where?

In case it is the infamous kill switch, do I bypass by connecting the two wires? Will that tell me if that is the problem with no spark?

Any other suggestions before I start taking the bike apart again to check the pulse generator and advance?

As always, I thank everyone for their help. Once I get the bike running I will put together my pictures of taking my engine out and send it to help anyone I can.

Steve

echinus1988
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Aspencade

Re: Just finished stator replacement

Postby echinus1988 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:04 pm

I just checked the ground to the bl/wh wire at the coil. 11.9V. So it appears I am getting power to the coil, does this narrow it down?

80-GL100-INT
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100I Interstate (current)
Previously Owned:
1981 CB 750 Custom
1976 CB 750 Super Sport (punched to 900)
1986 Kawasaki 440 LTD
1974 Suzuki 550
1986 Kawasaki Ninja 600 (First Street Bike-way back in '88)

Postby 80-GL100-INT » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:26 am

echinus1988 wrote:I rebuilt the carburetors and tried setting float levels. It is impossible to find any real information on where to measure. To high and it shuts off the fuel, too low, you run too rich if I understand it correctly. So where is the proper placement to measure and set the floats? I measured from the top of the edge for the gasket to the top of the float while holding the carb at 90 degrees to the table. Is that the correct way?

Yes, from the carb. body to the top (or technically bottom) of the float. you want the floats to just set on the needle and not compress the spring.

http://randakks.com/collections/honda-g ... ting-gauge ... I just took an old credit card, measured and cut, pretty much looks just like theirs.
If "WE THE PEOPLE" don't defend our rights...Who will?
"Government's first duty is protect the people, not run their lives."...Ronald Reagan

http://www.powdercoat.tk/

Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:23 am

This should answer your questions on setting float level. http://www.randakksblog.com/floats-101/
Regards, Johnyy

tumunga
Motorcycle: 1989 GL1500 - this is the one I will always need help with.

1980 GL1100I Interstate (gone)

Postby tumunga » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:16 pm

As for the carb rebuild, and if you worried about how to set the floats, here are the instructions that worked perfectly for me on my 1980 GL1100. Just scroll down a bit through the instructions:

http://www.classicgoldwings.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=261

I'm pretty sure it's ok to link to classicgoldwings.com from here. If not, delete as you will.

Tumunga
1989 GL1500 Goldwing with all the optional goodies (I think)

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”