For parts or repair

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
CavalryShawn
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100I

For parts or repair

Postby CavalryShawn » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:23 pm

Alright, my first post here. I've seen a ton of great posts on here so I thought I would try and tap into the wealth of knowledge in this community for a bit of advice. I recently came in possession of a 1980 Goldwing GL1100 Interstate. It was a daily driver and ran and was super cheap. I was looking for my first motorcycle and cheap was all i could get by the wife. It is a rough bike, been thoroughly mistreated by some kid with paint too. Loved the bike, but started it up at work one day to be greeted by a shredded timing belt. yippee.

Currently going through the process of replacing the timing belts (with great help from these forums) and lo and behold one of the pulleys is cracked. Fun.

Find a guy in my town that sells goldwing parts and he says that he has a whole 82 GL1100 bike. Only missing a box. Say that it's intact but is for parts and repair due to a blown head gasket. Now I'm familiar with the repairs necessary to fix that, but I'm weighing my options. I really just want a flippin' working bike.

Option A) just buy the pully and keep working on my poor ugly broken bike (fingers crossed no bent valves (<--ahh the naivete))

Option B) buy this parts bike, fix blown gasket, clean and sync carbs (its been sitting), and fix whatever else on it stock paint/frame etc...

Option C) scrap both the *bleeping* bikes and go finance another one (and probably get killed by the wife..... but thats neither here nor there.)

I am mechanically inclined, brought some old cars to life, but am really eager to get back on a bike.

Oldbear
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Re: For parts or repair

Postby Oldbear » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:58 pm

Depending on the budget - I'd think about getting both in to the shop and build one bike out of both... but my riding season is almost at a close. I do these kind of repairs over the long cold winter here...

You would learn more about your bike by rebuilding it. The knowledge will make you more confident when out on the road later. Plus, many people here will be more than willing to help with advice.
My wife is the greatest - she won't let me sell my bike - I'm less grumpy when I ride...

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:46 pm

Get a 1500 and the wife won't kill you...she should love the ride on it...I don't have one but I rode one along time ago just like WingAdmin.'s..But I don't know if she enjoys riding or not....I did what Oldbear did and turned mine around, a major facelift.. I dressed her to be pretty once again, it took time and money.. But she kicks tail now man.... Get you a running well bike.. :D then take her up into the Hill country for a ride..Get some BQ in Bandera... :lol:

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:37 am

I would get the parts bike to repair your 80. You "are" going to have a least 2 bent valves. Wishful thinking doesn't apply in this case.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

t2oldbikes
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100i

Postby t2oldbikes » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:14 pm

Why not first determine if you have bent valves in yours? If you buy another project bike you will have 2 projects on your hand. To me the cracked pulley does not sound like a good indicator of positive things inside your engine.
Quite frankly, when it comes to bikes, cheap can get expensive in a hurry.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:49 am

Well I'd replace the belts get a new pulley..need one I have some..PM if interested $10.plus shipping, Then hand turn her over it she turns full rotations..do several by hand with the crank shaft bolt. If that's OK then I'd set/check the valve lash make sure it's right..then do a compression test using the starter..if your compression is above 140..no bent valves and the seats are good too! if bad, below 100 = bent valves and now you know which ones..options buy new valves, I have those too, and install or buy whole new head with valves etc. and install assuming the bent valve(s) are on one side, I have some heads too.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

Oldbear

Postby Oldbear » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:41 am

Is the rest of your bike in rough shape? It would be good to make a list. See how your list of bad parts compares to the good parts on the donor.
My wife is the greatest - she won't let me sell my bike - I'm less grumpy when I ride...

CavalryShawn

Postby CavalryShawn » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:27 pm

Well I went to the guy and ended up just buying the timing belt cover, pulley, and timing belt back cover. Government shutdown has my bike spending money floating in limbo. The other bike he had looked in decent enough shape, guy told me about a blown head gasket. Tires look old as well, no registration or inspection since August of 2011. Meh. Not something I'd pay more than a few hundred bucks for.

Installed the parts on my bike, got the pulleys aligned just so and reinstalled the belts. Happy to report that she runs great now! Ran her to work today and around town, no loss of power, everything is running smooth. Compression is good. I guess I got lucky!

By the way the guy I found has three storage containers full of gold wings. He must have had 2-3 dozen bikes! He had shelves over shelves of engines and carburetors, fairings hanging from the rafters, literally.

Oldbear

Postby Oldbear » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:55 pm

Makes a road trip to Texas sound even more interesting... but how would I haul back parts on my Wing?

CavalryShawn

Postby CavalryShawn » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:17 pm

With great ingenuity and skill, I'm sure.

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:57 pm

CavalryShawn wrote:Well I went to the guy and ended up just buying the timing belt cover, pulley, and timing belt back cover. Government shutdown has my bike spending money floating in limbo. The other bike he had looked in decent enough shape, guy told me about a blown head gasket. Tires look old as well, no registration or inspection since August of 2011. Meh. Not something I'd pay more than a few hundred bucks for.

Installed the parts on my bike, got the pulleys aligned just so and reinstalled the belts. Happy to report that she runs great now! Ran her to work today and around town, no loss of power, everything is running smooth. Compression is good. I guess I got lucky!

By the way the guy I found has three storage containers full of gold wings. He must have had 2-3 dozen bikes! He had shelves over shelves of engines and carburetors, fairings hanging from the rafters, literally.

I lived in San Antonio for a long time and I go there sometimes, does this fella have a name or a shop? How could I find him? thanks for serving, and good luck on your bike..

CavalryShawn

Postby CavalryShawn » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:43 am

littlebeaver wrote:I lived in San Antonio for a long time and I go there sometimes, does this fella have a name or a shop? How could I find him? thanks for serving, and good luck on your bike..

His name is Alex Smith, sells his stuff on a Craigslist ad that just says Goldwing Parts. He's got A TON of 1000, 1100, 1200 and beyond parts. 832-948-3682 I met him down at his storage bay, so I don't know if he ships or anything. Real nice guy.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”