83 GL1100 Interstate,, fork oil options.

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
velvetrider
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Interstate

83 GL1100 Interstate,, fork oil options.

Postby velvetrider » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:59 pm

I must be living right,,who knew, to have found this site,,, Great guys! I am Right in the middle of replacing front forks & seals..I am going to leave tubs on triple tree and pull sliders down. I got
6mm allen bolts loss already. I used (Aero Kroil, "the oil that Creeps") (GREAT STUFF) to treat before using small impact drill/driver with 6mm allen, cut off for straight tool. No problems there.
I have taken top caps off before , swore I'd never do "that" again.
I think I can do it all from bottom, but I cant figure out how to put 9.8oz of fork oil back in without taking those f---kn caps off. Does any of you guys got an option for me.. ?????

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: 83 GL1100 Interstate,, fork oil options.

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:59 pm

velvetrider wrote:I must be living right,,who knew, to have found this site,,, Great guys! I am Right in the middle of replacing front forks & seals..I am going to leave tubs on triple tree and pull sliders down. I got
6mm allen bolts loss already. I used (Aero Kroil, "the oil that Creeps") (GREAT STUFF) to treat before using small impact drill/driver with 6mm allen, cut off for straight tool. No problems there.
I have taken top caps off before , swore I'd never do "that" again.
I think I can do it all from bottom, but I cant figure out how to put 9.8oz of fork oil back in without taking those f---kn caps off. Does any of you guys got an option for me.. ?????

Well - you can always try to drill holes in the caps, tap them, and screw a schraeder valve in there. But...if it were me, I would just bite the bullet and take the caps off. Besides, it lets you easily flush the forks out with a solvent to clean all the accumulated crap out, and more accurately refill them by the height of the fluid, instead of by volume.

velvetrider

Postby velvetrider » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:35 pm

Admin,,, thanks for the reply,,,,... I know it takes 9.8oz. but I have never seen the fluid depth,,anywhere... You got the answer,,,?

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:37 am

You can loosen the caps a bit..then use a big sryinge to force oil in from the drain port. Loosening the caps allows air to escape makes this process easier. the sryinge you need is the kind Vets use for animal stuff..and gives you an exact amount you are putting in.

As to measuring oil amount with the caps off..it depends on what springs you have OEM or progressive.

Also if you take the caps off and pull the springs then put the cap back on and mark exactly where the cap catches the threads..mark both cap and the tube ..then reinsert the springs and line up the cap just short of where it catches much easier to put the cap back on..once pushed in a small turn gets it started
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

velvetrider

Postby velvetrider » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:58 am

Thanks guys,,, I am going to pull springs, as ADMIN. suggested. "clean the crap out",, why go this far
and not get it right. I am going to install Motion Pro, seal kit, #42360. with new dust seals and back up plates, ONE thing,, the seals do not appear to have springs in them,,Interesting.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”