Lost Only Key -- Advice Needed

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
MacstonReaper
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A Aspencade
1997 CBR1100XX Super Blackbird

Lost Only Key -- Advice Needed

Postby MacstonReaper » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:22 pm

Dear Wingers,

Forgive for not formally introducing myself as a new member. That will come in a subsequent post, but right now I'm in a pickle and I desperately need your collective expertise.

Here's the question without all the background: RIGHT NOW, my bike is sitting at a gas station. Do I get it towed to a shop for ignition replacement, or to my house and attempt to tackle this as a do it yourself project? I have to make decision within the next few hours.

Note: I'm quite a novice wrench. Next to basics like oil changes and spark plugs, minor adjustments here and there, I haven't done much. Keep that in mind as your dispense the sage advice of your collective wisdom.

Oh, naturally, I'm on a budget too. A tight one.

BRIEF BACKGROUND

Today I officially joined your ranks as a GoldWinger after nearly three decades being a motorcyclist. My 1982 GL1100 found on eBay was doing really well pulling strong up mountain roads as I road it home from the seller.

Pulled into a gas station, bike running, looked down, no key in ignition. I think, I know how to fix this. Let's see if one of these random keys will turn it off. It did! Now NOTHING is working to turn it on.

The only key I had from the bike I just picked up today is somewhere on I-70.

Before you ask, no, the PO does not have an extra key. This sucks cuz I was really looking forward to being able to finally have a bike with locking hard bags. Oh well.

Best Regards, and thanks in Advance

Macston G. Reaper
Motojournalist/Professional Adventurer

Macston G. Reaper
Professional Adventurer/Motojournalist

"Although we're all alive, so few of us seem to really be living."

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Lost Only Key -- Advice Needed

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:46 pm

Any decent locksmith will be able to cut you a key, or re-key your locks to a new key. As for getting you back on the road right now, I'd try putting one of those random keys back in there, and jiggling around to see if you can get it to turn on. If the tumblers/pins in the ignition lock are worn enough that it let your key go flying while it was turned on and a bit of vibration, there's a fair chance you can convince it to turn doing the same thing with the wrong key.

MacstonReaper

Postby MacstonReaper » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:01 pm

Hey there, thanks for the speedy response. Below is the response I just gave on the other forum where I've posted my dilemma.

Perhaps it's just been my unique negative experiences. But I've had the worse of luck trying to get keys without the original for older bikes.

Two dealers and a locksmith couldn't get me a proper working key for my Blackbird this summer. And I had a copy that they had to work from.

I know about getting keys made from VIN's for newer vehicles, but was unsure if that works for a vehicle of this vintage.

Lots of keys were tried to no avail. I don't think the tumblers were that worn as compared to the key itself. My guess is the key wore down and the tumblers didn't. Only seems logical since over and hour of key trying and jiggling failed to yield satisfactory results.

WingAdmin wrote:Any decent locksmith will be able to cut you a key, or re-key your locks to a new key. As for getting you back on the road right now, I'd try putting one of those random keys back in there, and jiggling around to see if you can get it to turn on. If the tumblers/pins in the ignition lock are worn enough that it let your key go flying while it was turned on and a bit of vibration, there's a fair chance you can convince it to turn doing the same thing with the wrong key.
Macston G. Reaper

patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 I
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:10 pm

Yes, what Wing said. I would tap on the ing. switch while doing it to simulate the vibration when it fell out. It should turn eventually.

MacstonReaper

Postby MacstonReaper » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:16 pm

patbrandon1 wrote:Yes, what Wing said. I would tap on the ing. switch while doing it to simulate the vibration when it fell out. It should turn eventually.

Thus far, I'm leaning towards using my GEICO tow benefit and having it towed to the job. This will give me the whole day to intermittently mess with it before throwing in the towel and calling the one locksmith that finally got me a key for the Blackbird. That IF they even do mobile service.

Please pardon my ignorance on these matters, in all my years of motorcycling, this is the first time I've had to deal with any kind of key issue.
Macston G. Reaper

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:11 am

If a key turned it off it shoudl be able to turn it on..but you can remove the gauge pod..two 10mm bolts on the bottom..hard to see but can be accessed w/o removing the fairing..then you can pull the connector off and jump the appropriate wires.

it is a very simple plug to make. there are only two wires involved with supplying power to the bike. the RED wire carries power to the switch from the battery.the BLACK wire carries power from the switch to the bikes system. cross the two and you have ignition.
to do that , remove the plug from the rear of the ignition switch and pull the plug clear, plug the hotwire plug in and it will get you home.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:59 am

If it was the key that was worn and not the tumblers, then yes, the key could pop out, and the ignition would stay on until you turned it off with something - at which point the tumblers (pins) would pop back to their locked state and stay that way until a key was reinserted.

That said...any competent locksmith can take one of the locks on your bike, look at the pins/wafers/whatever they have in them, identify the key required, and make you a key (hopefully more than one).

I have several keys for my bike - and I have one spare hidden on the bike, in a place nobody would ever find, but that I can get to without tools if required. Might be an idea for the future.

MacstonReaper

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED: [this] Problem Solved

Postby MacstonReaper » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:42 pm

Thank you all for your input. I now have keys. Lots of keys!

What an excellent welcome to the group. Your advice and direction has been invaluable and greatly appreciated.

I look forward to tapping into your collective knowledge base for this upcoming project. A first of it's kind for me. My nascent mechanical ability will surely be tested. The challenge that will be documented and chronicled for a series of articles, including some short video segments.

How Things Got Fixed

After calling a local mobile locksmith I found on google, they began to dispatch one of their techs. Then the lady on the phone told me the field tech did not have appropriate blanks on hand.

Turns out my GEICO plan while it won't pay for key replacement, has free towing. The decision was made to tow the Millennium Falcon to their shop. Once there, it happened that they also didn't have the specific blank for that year, that model, but assured me, they'd make things work.

As luck would have it, the UPS guy showed up with a box full of new blanks, including the one I needed. I now have three excellent working keys that smoothly operate all locks; ignition, fairing storage, bags, trunk, helmet locks, fuel fill cap. This is great! And my wallet is considerably flatter as well.

In addition to the the GoldWing keys, while there I had them make some excellent copies for my Blackbird off the one factory original I had.

A future post will list the known issues on this eBay purchase and solicit your input, which will also make it's way into publication FYI.
Macston G. Reaper

patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 I
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:08 pm

Welcome to the forum MacstonReaper. I belong to a few forums on the internet from old Chevy trucks to new Craftsman lawn mowers, and I have to say that this site has by far, the friendliest, most willing to help men and women that I have seen. In a world of a lot of dog eat dog, and other not so sharing gestures, this site is a breath of fresh air for humanity in the way people share freely of their time and knowledge. And much of it is due to the great administrator WingAdmin. He is kind, mature, patient, and very intelligent. And he administrates this whole thing with the only motive being to help fellow wingers.

I am looking forward to seeing your progression with your wing, and thanks for joining.

Sagebrush
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100
1982 GL1100
2001 GL1800 CSC Trike
2002 GL1800

Postby Sagebrush » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:02 am

This guy can cut you a new key(s) from the code on the lock. Give him a shout. Many have used his services with good results.

http://ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38950

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”