Wrong rear master cylinder?

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
kerryb
Motorcycle: 1983 GL 1100 std

Wrong rear master cylinder?

Postby kerryb » Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:28 pm

I have solved my brake problems, but the solution is leaving me quite perplexed. The problem began with the linked brakes on my '83 Aspencade slowly locking up while riding. This seemed to come from brake pressure buildup because the fluid could get back to the reservoir even though the return port was clean. The only way to get moving again was to crack the bleeder at the rear caliper or loosen the hard line at the master cylinder. After cleaning, inspecting and rebuilding the M/C and lines three times I did some measuring and found the main seal in the master cylinder wasn't moving back far enough to uncover the return port leading to the reservoir. I "fixed" the problem by removing 1/16" from each end of the piston (on the lathe) to let the main seal move far enough back in the cylinder to relieve the over pressure. Brakes work great now! The question is what master cylinder do I have that fits genuine Honda rebuild parts, but is too short to function properly?
Note: I have an '83 standard and an '83 Aspencade. The master cylinders differ only in the outlet connection going to the caliper.

What is the best way to find out if this is the stock master cylinder?

all in fun...kb
Attachments
83 aspy M/C
83 aspy M/C

Sagebrush
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100
1982 GL1100
2001 GL1800 CSC Trike
2002 GL1800

Re: Wrong rear master cylinder?

Postby Sagebrush » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:15 am

There are two different rear master rebuild kits for the 1100s. One for the 80-81 models and one for the 82-83 models. Some sellers on Ebay sell one kit for all 1100s. I do not know what the symptoms are if the wrong kit is used but its a possibility that you have the wrong one installed in yours.

kerryb
Motorcycle: 1983 GL 1100 std

Re: Wrong rear master cylinder?

Postby kerryb » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:27 am

You're right Sagebrush, we have to be careful of the parts we buy and where, so when I rebuilt the M/C the third time I bought the parts at a Honda dealer and asked about different sets for different models. You see the M/C on my other '83 GL1100 has a different outlet, but the same internals seem to fit it. That one is a standard w/o linked brakes. The service rep said there was only one rebuild kit in the Honda database for that year. When I got the parts home, they were identical to the parts purchased from Cyclemax that didn't work the time before.
Maybe a project for this winter will be to remove both master cylinders and compare them for size variances.

kb

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”