carb sync tubes.

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
tobeymcmullen
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 naked.Putting it back together

carb sync tubes.

Postby tobeymcmullen » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:04 pm

I have a new to me GL1100 1981 . I was told the carbs needed synced and that the accelerator pump was out. When I start the bike using the choke , it fires right up and the RPM's come up as expected. The question I have is two things. If once it is started and I open the throttle it should stall quite a bit if the accelerator pump is out right? Second is Anyone have a cheap way to produce the tubes that screw into the side of the intakes, to sync the carbs. I just cant see buying new ones at 20 bucks with shipping. I have the tool just not the tubes. Any help is much appreciated. This bike needs alot of help. It was stripped down and I want it back like it should be

SteveB123
Motorcycle: 1982 1100I, 60A Poorboy, MSD coil

Re: carb sync tubes.

Postby SteveB123 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:26 am

tobeymcmullen wrote:I have a new to me GL1100 1981 . I was told the carbs needed synced and that the accelerator pump was out. When I start the bike using the choke , it fires right up and the RPM's come up as expected. The question I have is two things. If once it is started and I open the throttle it should stall quite a bit if the accelerator pump is out right? Second is Anyone have a cheap way to produce the tubes that screw into the side of the intakes, to sync the carbs. I just cant see buying new ones at 20 bucks with shipping. I have the tool just not the tubes. Any help is much appreciated. This bike needs alot of help. It was stripped down and I want it back like it should be

I doubt you'd notice the lack of accel pump without a load on the engine; just blipping the throttle on the centre stand won't cut it, a road load would be needed, I think.You'll need a mirror and a flashlight to peer directly down into the carb throats while cracking the throttle to visually check the pump operation while they're still installed.

$20 for the tubes, shipped in your hands? Get'em! You might be able to produce them for a bunch of hours mucking about....maybe. I bought a set when I have my merc tubes for my Suzi, because I needed longer tubes, and it was a darn sight more than 20 bones. My new set of sync's came with glass reinforced plastic ones, that are the bomb.

Syncing isn't a one time thing, it's an annual maintenance procedure, or after every valve adjustment.
Current:82 GL1100 Interstate, 60 Amp Poorboy, MSD coil
Previous: 93 GSX1100F Katana
82 GL500 Silverwing

tobeymcmullen

Postby tobeymcmullen » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:23 am

I doubt you'd notice the lack of accel pump without a load on the engine; just blipping the throttle on the centre stand won't cut it, a road load would be needed, I think.

Read more: posting.php?mode=reply&f=4&t=19449#ixzz2iplB02et

What would be the symptom as I opened it up on the road? Once i sync the carbs and reset the idle, I plan to take it for a 20 mile ride just to see what all it does or does not do. Right now it has the low idle and knock at low idle issue. Being new to this I Youtubed it and came up with Carb sync and Idle adjustment.

This is a new to me bike. I traded a 1986 Honda Rebel 250 for it. It is a 1981 GL1100 with 74K on it. The guy stripped all of the bags and trunk and all kinds of crap is missing but I am determined to make it look at least presentable again.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:31 am

Just need 5mm bolt length up to you cut the head off or if you can find a 5mm stud no cutting just drill it out, and drill it with the smallest drill bit you can find..smaller the better.

Synching should be done once and shouldn't be needed again unless you open up the carbs at least my sync never changes unless I fool with the carbs.

You can also build a sync tool for less than $5 bucks..20' feet of 1/4"clean tubing and a yardstick or piece of wood. Or a fancier set with jars for a little more..

http://www.powerchutes.com/manometer.asp

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_I_s ... uretors%3F

http://209.85.129.132/search?q=cache:1C ... lr=lang_en
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

tobeymcmullen

Postby tobeymcmullen » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:36 am

That is an idea for sure. I have a Motion Pro Sync pro Manometer. It has no fluid in the tubes and the brass screw in tubes are missing. I looked around and the fluid and tubes can be bought from Motionpro, but the fluid is 10 bucks and the tubes are 15 with shipping. I found out through a lil research just this morning that the fluid is nothing more that "Non-toxic" antifreeze. With combining the bolt idea , I may be on the road to keeping a few bucks in my already empty pockets

mytown
Motorcycle: 1982 Goldwing Interstate

Postby mytown » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:57 am

RBGERSON wrote:You can also build a sync tool for less than $5 bucks..20' feet of 1/4"clean tubing and a yardstick or piece of wood. Or a fancier set with jars for a little more..

http://www.powerchutes.com/manometer.asp

I used the above instructions with pretty good results:
[youtube]

[/YouTube]

Additional info:

It took too long for 2-stroke oil to get to the center of a 12 foot tube during initial filling (standing on a ladder), same problem if the oil is sucked up the tube during operation and needs to resettle so I went with Stabil.

Keep a thumb on the kill switch and if you see the fluid being sucked up the tube you might be able to stop it before it gets sucked into the engine. :D

The article doesn't mention restrictors. From what I have read, you'll need restrictors in the tubes in order to keep the fluid from bouncing up and down during operation. Basically you need to reduce the diameter of the tube somewhere between the manifold and the fluid.
Here's a few ideas I played with but there are lots out there:
The adapter to manifold is on the right, and the restrictor, a tube connecter with a smaller diameter is on the left. The tube to the manometer would connect on the left.

Increased restriction by gluing a red spray nozzle into connecter.

Here I jammed a jet with a very small opening into the tube.

I swapped them around and they all seemed to work the same! I read where someone used drywall anchors with good results. It's quite likely that there are better ideas out there but what I did seemed to work.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:30 am

adjustable aquarium valves.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

Wingsconsin
Motorcycle: 2002 GL1800 - Pearl Orange
1996 GL1500 Aspencade - Pearl Blue
1992 GL1500 Aspencade -Candy Red
1983 Suzuki GS850GL - Blue & Black

Postby Wingsconsin » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:28 am

I have heard it said that the cheapest thing on a Goldwing is the rider...

Can you find someone near you that has a manometer..?
If not..break down and BUY the right tool..
If you are going to work on classic bikes - then you need to own the propers equipment...

The manometer can be bought for as low as $75...

http://www.amazon.com/Emgo-Carburetor-S ... im_auto_49

Then you can synch yours and anyone elses near you...
Charge them $10 each time adn you can earn your money back...
Postings are my opinions based on experience and acquired knowledge.
Your results may vary. Universal disclaimers apply.

Motorcycle Adventure Storys writen by me
http://neverlost-justexploring.blogspot.com/

mytown

Postby mytown » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:53 pm

Wingsconsin wrote:I have heard it said that the cheapest thing on a Goldwing is the rider...

Can you find someone near you that has a manometer..?
If not..break down and BUY the right tool..
If you are going to work on classic bikes - then you need to own the propers equipment...

The manometer can be bought for as low as $75...

http://www.amazon.com/Emgo-Carburetor-S ... im_auto_49

Then you can synch yours and anyone elses near you...
Charge them $10 each time adn you can earn your money back...

My manometer worked, Wingsconsin. There is nothing improper about it. Your advice that he purchase then rent a manometer is impractical. And nothing good can come from calling people cheap.

Wingsconsin

Postby Wingsconsin » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:14 pm

I meant no disrespect ...the cheap comment was intended to be a joke ....
I am sure your manometer worked just fine ...so does the one I bought ...

What is impractical about renting out a manometer to your circle of friends?
It seems a really good idea to me ..
I have 2 synch manometer s ...and an ultra sonic cleaner and various other specialty tools required to work on classic bikes...If any of my buddies wanted to use one I wpuld be happy to loan them out ..probably even come along and do the work too...
$10 from a fellow rider...? Into the beer jug !

mytown

Postby mytown » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:19 am

Wingsconsin wrote:I meant no disrespect ...the cheap comment was intended to be a joke ....
I am sure your manometer worked just fine ...so does the one I bought ...

What is impractical about renting out a manometer to your circle of friends?

No problem. I guess I was projecting in that I need to prioritize my resources and I don't have a circle of friends who need their carbs
synched. And I do understand how seeing one using a pliers could grate on a preservationist, but sometimes, well, you know the rest. Take care.

tobeymcmullen

Postby tobeymcmullen » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:14 pm

I felt no disrespect. I have the Manomoeter itself it was the lil tubes I am missing. I think for now I will go and bench set them. I plan to take the intake off and check the carbs out real good so while I have em off....

If anyone has an extra set of tubes though...

Wingsconsin

Postby Wingsconsin » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:45 pm

Oldbear
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Postby Oldbear » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:04 pm

I bought my Motion Pro 16 years ago - it was cheaper than paying a shop to sync three bikes. Now every spring that $99 tool nets me a case or two of beer and often a bottle of whiskey... Plus I don't have to wait for a time to bring in my bike - I can sync it whenever I feel like the bike just isn't "right".
My wife is the greatest - she won't let me sell my bike - I'm less grumpy when I ride...

tobeymcmullen

Postby tobeymcmullen » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:08 pm

I have the tubes now. I just broke down and bought the danged things. Now I have to get the restriction valves. I was going to just use 4 fish tank bubble adjustment valves. Has a turnable petcock style shot off. To control the flutter

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”