Small nail in Rear Tire

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Dakotaman
Motorcycle: 1983 Honda Goldwing Standard

Small nail in Rear Tire

Postby Dakotaman » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:43 am

I just picked up my first small nail etc... in my rear tire. I am thinking of plugging it with a tire plug. I've read good things and bad things about plugs. But I have had them put in my auto tires many times, and they lasted till I got new auto tires. I figure, some on here have done, and could tell me how they did it. Oh, my rim doesn't have spokes, but large spokes like on a sportster. I think I have tubeless tires on them. Thanks in advance!!

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Small nail in Rear Tire

Postby virgilmobile » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:24 am

use a plug only to get it to hold air long enough to get you to town and a patch put in.
emergency use only.
the plugs make a large hole in the tiny tire.
its always best to fix it rather than making the hole larger and tearing more cords.

stan17570
Motorcycle: 1981 gl1100 interstate

Postby stan17570 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:40 am

I have used plugs before and one summer I road all the time with a plug in a rear tire, but I agree better to get it fixed properly or get a new tire

brianinpa
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Standard - Vetter State
1984 GL1200 Standard

Postby brianinpa » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:49 am

If you have to plug it, just plug it so you can get to a place that you can repair it or replace it. In a car there are three other tires contacting the road.
Brian

If you aren't having fun doing it, find something else to do.

Dakotaman
Motorcycle: 1983 Honda Goldwing Standard

Postby Dakotaman » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:20 am

If I plug it, and take it to a shop, what do they do to fix it better? I have never gone through this before with a bike, so I'm new. For them to repair it properly, means taking the wheel off, the tire off, then put it back on. Would that be almost the cost of a new tire? I read that they sort of plug it or patch it from the inside, and how is that better, than the outside? I have never taken the back wheel off, and then taking the tire off of the rim must be a bitch, so I know about the safety factor, but right now I'm thinking about the monetary part of it. If they do it, it could cost as much as a new tire, and then their labour.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:51 am

A motorcycle tire flexes quite a bit more than a car tire, every time it hits the ground. Every time it flexes, it's moving that plug (which will flex just a bit differently than the rest of the tire) just a little bit. How long before that plug finally fails, causing your tire to deflate while you're riding?

I carry plugs in my tool kit. But like others said, those plugs are for use in getting me to wherever I need to get so that I can replace the damaged tire. A new tire is maybe $150, $180. My life is worth more than that.

brianinpa
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Standard - Vetter State
1984 GL1200 Standard

Postby brianinpa » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:13 pm

Dakotaman wrote:If I plug it, and take it to a shop, what do they do to fix it better? I have never gone through this before with a bike, so I'm new. For them to repair it properly, means taking the wheel off, the tire off, then put it back on. Would that be almost the cost of a new tire? I read that they sort of plug it or patch it from the inside, and how is that better, than the outside? I have never taken the back wheel off, and then taking the tire off of the rim must be a bitch, so I know about the safety factor, but right now I'm thinking about the monetary part of it. If they do it, it could cost as much as a new tire, and then their labour.

It really depends on the type of repair, but most places will patch it from the inside, but that requires the tire to be taken off the rim, repaired, re-installed on the rim and the wheel installed. Most local stealers charge $50 to remove/mount/replace a tire so that is a minimum charge you are looking at plus whatever charge they have for the repair of the tire itself (if they repair it) or the additional charge of a new tire. Now consider the cost of tires: Shinko's run $80 for a rear tire.

I mount my own tires and use/reuse dyna beads, so my only expense when changing a tire is the cost of that tire and my time to change it. I enjoy tinkering on the bike as much as I enjoy riding it, so I don't really consider my time as an expense. The only real expense I had was buying the tools at my local Harbor Freight. That $50 charge I mentioned earlier convinced me that I needed to do these things myself, so that is what I do.
Brian

If you aren't having fun doing it, find something else to do.

jeffcosmo
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 Aspencade

Postby jeffcosmo » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:22 pm

They're called "umbrella" seals, and they look like an umbrella. No lawyer will tell you that it is OK to use. Because they're lawyers. I have used them on bike tyres with no problems. YMMV.

The wheel comes out of a GL1100 quite easy, considering. Up on centrestand; loosen axle nut; loosen axle clamp screw; remove fender bolts (3); remove final drive nuts (3); pull axle, pull wheel with final drive.

To remove tyre from wheel, I use a bumper jack, large piece of plywood and 2 lengths of 2X4, the latter to hold the disc off the plywood. For those of you unfortunate enough to NOT have a bumper jack (or a bumper), I dunno, never had that circumstance...

Cosmo

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”