82 Aspencade front brakes

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
CCCaptain
Motorcycle: 1982 Goldwing Aspencade

82 Aspencade front brakes

Postby CCCaptain » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:14 pm

Well I am healing, but hurting... I have an 82 GL1100 Aspencade... Saturday while on a short ride the front brakes decided to lock up... Yep, you guessed it... Down we went!!! When I got it back up and checked the hand grip, it was tight (no give). I opened the bleeders on both calipers and the right spewed out some fluid, now everything is fine... Decided to be sane about it and took the $75.00 towing hit to get my baby home. What's up with this? I used the front brake at a previous stop to keep the bike from rolling backwards.

Aside from a busted rib, bruised hip, and a nicely scraped up knee, I'm fine...

Anyone have any ideas???

Sagebrush
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100
1982 GL1100
2001 GL1800 CSC Trike
2002 GL1800

Re: 82 Aspencade front brakes

Postby Sagebrush » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:20 am

Sorry to hear about your mishap. Sounds like the classic symptom of the very very very tiny return hole in the front master being plugged. Its a common problem. It can be reopened while on the bike if you know what your looking for. If you remove the components from the top of the reservoir so that you can see the bottom of the reservoir you will notice a hole in the bottom. In line with this hole along the center of the reservoir is the return hole. There is usually a dimple in the casting that will help you locate the hole. The hole is so small that I use a single wire cut from a wire brush to clean it out. Anything larger and its too big. There will probably be a lot of grunge settled in the bottom of the reservoir that will need to be cleaned out before you can find it.

However, the best method to do this procedure is to remove the master cylinder and disassemble the whole thing to give it a thorough cleaning. Flush the entire brake system to clean out any impurities that have gathered over the years in order to keep it from locking up again.

CCCaptain
Motorcycle: 1982 Goldwing Aspencade

Postby CCCaptain » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:33 am

Thank You... Your suggestions are my weekend plans. I will be re-building the hydraulics at both ends.

I have been riding for 45 years and this is the first time I've layed a street bike down. Real eye opener

Ride Safe!!!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:38 pm

Yup, that plugged hole seems to be cropping up more and more often lately. You can see it starting at step 8 here:

How to rebuild your front master cylinder

You might also want to check out:

How to rebuild your front brake calipers

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”