Air Leaks - worn Choke Spindle Bushes. GL1100.

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
WingNutJC
Motorcycle: GL1100 Aspencade
Goldwing Streamliner
'06 BMW R1100S

Air Leaks - worn Choke Spindle Bushes. GL1100.

Postby WingNutJC » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:16 am

Hi Guys.

Re-assembling the carb 'block' today and noticed one choke spindle bushing was worn.
And I mean WORN. Can see light between the shaft and bush.
Hm wonder abt the others: all the same. They all rattle. :shock: :shock: :shock:

These bushes are loaded only when the choke butterfly's are closed. Conclusion is that PO's used the choke A LOT!
(Have had the same experience with my BMW R1100S: worn throttle butterfly spindle bushes. At idle there's a huge pulsating suction force hammering the spindle and bushes).

Until these leaks are sealed I'll have Buckley's of doing any proper balancing/tuning.

So - how to fix: bush replacement would seem to be out of the question, so

(1) I'm going seal with RTV silicone in the recess around the spindle, and then follow that with a tight fitting O-ring pushed hard against the silicone.

(2) then I'll use a short piece of tubing over the spindles to apply gentle pressure pressure against the O-rings when the carb bodies are re-connected.

IMHO since the choke gets little use, support given by the cured RTV silicone + O-ring should mean this is fixed for a reasonable time.
One further point - I'll also be putting some silicone inside each end of the tube (behind the O-ring) to make an airtight seal between the carb bodies.

I'm surprised that Honda didn't do this in the first place (ok - someone is about to tell my they did ... aren't You ?)
The PO or PPO has already had the carbs out so who knows? I can tell this because of all the struggle scratches in the right places as well as teeth marks on the fork lowers. :mrgreen:

I'd be keen to hear from others who may encountered this problem, and of their 'fix'

Cheers.

John C.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: Air Leaks - worn Choke Spindle Bushes. GL1100.

Postby dingdong » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:38 am

Think about it! I wonder how an air leak on the intake side would effect the carb performance or tuning. ???? Just saying!
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

WingNutJC
Goldwing Streamliner
'06 BMW R1100S

Postby WingNutJC » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:56 pm

dingdong wrote:Think about it! I wonder how an air leak on the intake side would effect the carb performance or tuning. ???? Just saying!

Not sure what you mean Dingdong.

Upstream from the venturi/jets - no effect.

Downstream is a different matter, as this will lean out the mixture. Worse still, all the choke butterfly shafts rattle in their bushes, so the amount of that loose air will not be constant, making accurate carb synching difficult.

One more thing: it's unfiltered air, so if U ride in dusty conditions U'll get a small stream of junk into the motor. :( Some of that grit will lodge in the choke spindle bushings, increasing the wear. All bad news. :cry:

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:28 am

Unless I am mistaken the choke valves are up stream from all other carb functions. The choke valves are adjacent to the plenum with nothing in between. Working from memory here. Dirt and dust could be a problem though as that air will be unfiltered. Not saying you don't need to fix it. I just don't think that it is causing a run or sync problem.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

WingNutJC
Goldwing Streamliner
'06 BMW R1100S

Postby WingNutJC » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:21 pm

dingdong wrote:Unless I am mistaken the choke valves are up stream from all other carb functions. The choke valves are adjacent to the plenum with nothing in between. Working from memory here. Dirt and dust could be a problem though as that air will be unfiltered. Not saying you don't need to fix it. I just don't think that it is causing a run or sync problem.

Ohh Dooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :lol:

Now THAT is more than embarrassing. I know I've been low on sleep lately but that has to take the cake.

Thanks Dingdong.

doh doh doh doh doh doh doh .......................................................................................................................................................... doh doh doh doh ...

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”