82 Aspencade GL1100A clutch cover

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Dale Landan
Motorcycle: 1982 Honda GL1100 Aspencade and 1982Gl1100 standard

82 Aspencade GL1100A clutch cover

Postby Dale Landan » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:37 am

I have two different clutch covers one has the early plug that unscrews and the other is an 82 what I refer to as "a flat blank cover" (no center hole). Now for the question. Does the 82 flat cover type, use the clutch lifter rod like on the 80,81 types, or is this lifter rod left out on the 82 and replaced by the round lifter piece in the flat cover? I currently have the early cover installed with the pin but the clutch is really a fight to operate though it can still be done with effort. I am going to remove the rear wheel tomorrow and pull the early cover and try the flat with out the lifter pin.
Second question> before installing my starter i applied power to it and it rotated as it should, I followed the manuals directions on installation and then turned the engine clockwise from the rear via the alternator shaft, it too rotated nicely. Now after installing the engine and hooking up all plugs I tried to turn it over on the starter it buzzed and no rotation (battery is at full charge and new). Any one have any ideas as to why? I will know after I remove the rear wheel and am able to get a socket on the alternator shaft if the engine is frozen again or not.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: 82 Aspencade GL1100A clutch cover

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:39 pm

If the engine is seized (or hydrolocked), you won't get a buzz, you'll get just a "CLICK" noise when you hit the starter. Is the starter rotating and spinning, and that's the buzzing noise?

Dale Landan
Motorcycle: 1982 Honda GL1100 Aspencade and 1982Gl1100 standard

Postby Dale Landan » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:53 pm

The starter is not rotating at all. The engine is set up at top dead center with the timing marks aligned. Before the engine was installed the valves were adjusted per the manual and of course the engine turned freely. When the starter was installed the rear case had been removed the starter shaft was installed into the gear and the engine was rotated by hand and shaft and gear were seen to turn also. I am about at wits end here I am mostly ignorant when it comes to electrical systems.I mean I know how to use an ohm meter slightly and that a circuit needs to be grounded to operate but a problem I am having is I don't have a wiring diagram for an 1982 Aspencade. The color diagram I have studied was for an Interstate model and I find a lot of difference between the two mostly in the air inflation system and some minor difference's else where, but the major systems seem to be the same other wise. I have not been able to get out outside to get the rear wheel off due to weather conditions and my advanced age, and I seem to have had all the iron in my body turned to lead and settled in my butt, (most of us have had that happen on occasion also) But at the age of 74 I find it happening more often now.

David-Mantle
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100AD
1980 CB400N

Postby David-Mantle » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:28 am

With regards to clutch - I have the rear assembly from a 1984 1200 fitted to my 1983 GL1100AD which gives me a hydraulic operated clutch. Not sure if you want to go down this route but so long as you get ALL the parts ( clutch cover , slave cylinder and push-rod ) it is worth the work and investment. My arthritic hand has thanked me many times since I did the conversion.
Just my way of doing things - hope it helps.

The only silly question is the one you don`t ask. Everything else is game.

http://www.ngwclub.com/shoptalk/
http://yuq.me/users/24/690/5CwYRzT8lx.gif

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”