Arbritrary loss of power

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Aging Together
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate

Arbritrary loss of power

Postby Aging Together » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:19 pm

Hi all. Been enjoying the site for years but now I have a problem and decided this was the best place to turn! 106,000 miles and still running strong but twice in the last 2 days: after normal driving, once about 30 minutes, the second about 3 minutes, both leaving stop light, the engine completely bogs down and wants to die. Full throttle and it keeps running - barely - but it ain't happy. Finally it'll pop up to 5 to 6k and start running normal. Thought it was just some dirt or rust or something after the first time and it got blown out, but now that it's happened a second time exactly the same it makes me think I'm in for another episode in the future and so far I've been lucky enough not to be in thick LA traffic...definately don't want to do that around here in rush hour! THANKS!

Me and my '82...had it since it was new...so we're "Aging together!"

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Arbritrary loss of power

Postby virgilmobile » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:45 pm

Look to the left of the battery..
There's a plug with 4 wires in it...It's the pulse coil plug...very small voltages there...

Even just a little a bit of a bad connection there can kill half the ignition system....It feels like there's no power and suddenly it kicks back in....This happen to my 1200....The bike was actually running on 2 cylinders...

If its absolutely clean and tight....
*****you might be loosing spark to 2 cylinders from a bad ignition module***(rare)..
The 1100 has 2 of them under the shelter and are also plugged into the harness..Check there too...

Some have found loose connections on the ignition coils too...Might as well just clean and tighten all associated wiring....

Aging Together

Postby Aging Together » Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:30 pm

Thanks virgilmobile...that was a big help in getting started. Here's what I found but I can't road test it yet and you'll see why in a second. The 4-connecter looks great, tight and clean, but the 3 next to it is BBQ'd! Wires at the top connection are very brittle too. Figured out that goes to the ignition...fusebox? Anyway, reason I can't road test is I've got to run to the parts store and get another quick connect! If I had a digital camera I'd snap you a pic...it's really nasty and I'm amazed the thing still runs because the plastic inside is totally gone at several points...surprised it wasn't shorting out, but then again maybe it was and that's my problem? But here's the other amazing thing...I took a look at the little flat master fuse to the right of the battery and it was bent inward on one side like a noodle. Over 30 years ago when I started riding this bike and hanging around the old-timers they said get a replacement and keep it with the bike. Words well heeded because when I inspected the fuse either it was so compromised that a simple push with my finger broke it or it's been broken all this time, or at least hanging on by a thread! No signs of arching or anything but it is definitely in 2 pieces now! So I'll replace the quick-connect for that 3-wire and I've already replaced the master (don't laugh, I checked the receipt and I bought it in '88! Yes, I will get another new one!) and I'll let you know what I find. Sad thing is it doesn't happen right away so I guess the neighborhood will think I'm nuts when they see me riding around the block over and over again for 30 minutes! Thanks again - it's a BIG help!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:50 pm

Aging Together wrote:Thanks virgilmobile...that was a big help in getting started. Here's what I found but I can't road test it yet and you'll see why in a second. The 4-connecter looks great, tight and clean, but the 3 next to it is BBQ'd! Wires at the top connection are very brittle too. Figured out that goes to the ignition...fusebox? Anyway, reason I can't road test is I've got to run to the parts store and get another quick connect! If I had a digital camera I'd snap you a pic...it's really nasty and I'm amazed the thing still runs because the plastic inside is totally gone at several points...surprised it wasn't shorting out, but then again maybe it was and that's my problem? But here's the other amazing thing...I took a look at the little flat master fuse to the right of the battery and it was bent inward on one side like a noodle. Over 30 years ago when I started riding this bike and hanging around the old-timers they said get a replacement and keep it with the bike. Words well heeded because when I inspected the fuse either it was so compromised that a simple push with my finger broke it or it's been broken all this time, or at least hanging on by a thread! No signs of arching or anything but it is definitely in 2 pieces now! So I'll replace the quick-connect for that 3-wire and I've already replaced the master (don't laugh, I checked the receipt and I bought it in '88! Yes, I will get another new one!) and I'll let you know what I find. Sad thing is it doesn't happen right away so I guess the neighborhood will think I'm nuts when they see me riding around the block over and over again for 30 minutes! Thanks again - it's a BIG help!

You've found two of the common achilles' heel in the 1100 electrical system: the stator plug, and the dogbone fuse. Do a search for "three yellow wires" here, and you'll find more than you ever need to know about fixing the stator plug. Same thing goes for dogbone fuse - searching for it here you will find instructions on replacing it with a standard automotive 30 amp blade fuse.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:51 pm

Oh...and the fact that your dogbone fuse crumbled when you touched it more than likely is the cause of your original problem.

Aging Together

Postby Aging Together » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:05 pm

Thanks WingAdmin and ON THE MONEY! Before I saw your update I went to several parts stores looking for that connector and they all scratched their heads, so I did a search for it, which brought me right back here to the infamous "3 yellow wires" post! The link for the solder/heat-sink solution is perfect and I'll be joining the minions who lose that quick-connect.

I'm so glad I found this site because I do love my '82. The name should be a clue - my '82...had it since it was new, so we're "Aging Together"! Goldwing Docs rocks...THANKS!

HondaWalt
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
1980 CB 900C
1974 CB 550

Postby HondaWalt » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:42 am

I would like to add my past experience about the 3 yellow wire connector...You're recomendation of cut, splice, solder and insulate is certinly a definitive fix. 3 years ago I bought a 1980 1100 and found these wires also cooked, however I didn't know about this terrific site with wealth of information at the time. But I did know someone who worked at a motorcyle dealership and mentioned what I found. His response was he would look into it, and discovered that Honda was aware of this problem and sold replacement connectors with wires attached direct from the factory. I bought it ($10.00 at the time) and made the replacement repair. Sorry I don't have the Part Number anymore for those who might want to keep the same type of original equipment but what I'm saying here is that it's available from a Honda dealer if you so desire it.
HondWalt

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”