Saddle bag and trunk lights wireing

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
mikelday
Motorcycle: 1983 GL 1100 Interstate

Saddle bag and trunk lights wireing

Postby mikelday » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:50 am

Hi all I am new on here but have found a ton of help, thanks in advance for any help on this. I am in the process of buying a 1983 goldwing interstate I just put on a new throttle cable and runs fine. When I was checking the lights I found that the wires had been cut off on the trunk light both saddlebag side lights and the lights below the saddle bags they are all red and I was wondering if they are illegal if not can anyone tell me how to wire them back I think they would look great. Thanks for any help, Mike

Wilcoy02
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Re: Saddle bag and trunk lights wireing

Postby Wilcoy02 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:21 pm

Under the seat is a connection for those lights.
green(ground has two plugs one for each side)
Blue (one plug) for one side hot wire
can not remember third color (brown-orange?)-one plug for the other side -Hot

The connection is under the crosswbar under the seat. mine has a boot over the three connections- so look for a boot and there should be the wires to rewire your lights to.

The saddlebag sides are reflectors- r u sure they have light bulbs in there?--If so you can reconnect to the wires under the seat. Using the turn signal wires will accomplish what you want.

Here is a link to the diy info from this forum:
http://goldwingdocs.com/Docs/Honda%20Go ... -4B8D0.jpg

If you do this make sure you have a connection from the saddle bags to the boot. When You need to take the saddle bags off you can easily disconnect the wire--ask me how I know this.

Post some pics as you go along as I have considered replacing the reflectors with lights as you have described. Both on my saddlebags and the fairing reflectors.
Welcome to the forum

mikelday
Motorcycle: 1983 GL 1100 Interstate

Re: Saddle bag and trunk lights wireing

Postby mikelday » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:43 am

Hey Wilcoy, thanks for the info I am going down to my shop now to look for this. The saddle bags do have lights on them and they have been fit so they have a build out on one side so they are flat with the bags it looks like they were wired to the turn signals. When I get them working I will send a pic. Back in the 80s I had a 1975 1000 Goldwing and loved it but that went in a divorce, this 83 is a real jewel and I can't wait to get on the road. thanks again. Mike

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”