trailer hitch swivel ball

Information, ideas, experiences and help with camping, pulling a trailer and roughing it on your Goldwing
  • Sponsored Links
mxwllslvrhmr
Motorcycle: '81 GL 1100

trailer hitch swivel ball

Postby mxwllslvrhmr » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:51 pm

Hello ..
As a first timer I'm planning to tow a trailer next Spring. I was wondering what opinions might be on using a swivel ball instead of the standard fixed type ball. . . . Thanks

John

Wilcoy02
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Re: trailer hitch swivel ball

Postby Wilcoy02 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:10 pm

I have had no problem with the fixed hitch on my bike. 4,000miles on my trailer.

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:39 pm

It has been said that fixed hitches can cause control issues in sharp corners if the bike needs to lay over further than normal to negotiate said corner - HOWEVER - I have never seen this happen. I also have never had a problem with a fixed hitch, and I have hauled trailers at least 50K miles behind motorcycles. As I have ridden over 800K miles lifetime, trailer towing is a relatively new thing for me. I have examined the swivel ends for trailer towing, and they are impressively engineered. They really look as if they would work quite well. Since I have not had problems with my fixed ball hitch, I have not yet shelled out the shunia (Ojibway for money) required to purchase a swivel hitch setup. The ones I have looked at are quite pricey. All that said, I think it is probably a personal thing about which one you would like to tow with.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

Sagebrush
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100
1982 GL1100
2001 GL1800 CSC Trike
2002 GL1800

Postby Sagebrush » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:24 am

If you happen to drop the bike with a trailer attached you would be glad to have a swivel hitch although that's not the reason I installed mine. I took my fixed hitch trailer out through the twisties behind my 1800 being very aggressive to test it out and determined that I was flexing the tongue. That's when I decided to get a swivel hitch. I've had one on my trailer almost since new and have never regretted it. Additionally it lengthens the tongue a few inches and in my case it was a good thing as it makes it easier to back up when I have to.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:01 am

I have dumped my 1500 on it's side without stressing the ball hitch at all. In my case there is no way to lean into a curve and stress the ball hitch. That said, there is a ball available with a taller thinner neck that provides more wiggle room.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

mxwllslvrhmr

Postby mxwllslvrhmr » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:05 pm

Thanks for all replies. If I'm understanding correctly what's being said, the trailer hitch ball stays rigid but rotates around axially in a socket or some such, or around an axis? .. I'm not aware of that style trailer hitch and ball assembly.

Perhaps I should have been more clear in my description. Here's the swivel ball I was seeking opinions on:

[url]http://www.amazon.com/Freedom-Pivot-Ball-Trailer-Hitch/dp/B0053H9088/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1384192836&sr=8-4&keywords=motorcycle+trailer+swi[/url&tag=goldwingdocs-20]

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:42 pm

mxwllslvrhmr wrote:Thanks for all replies. If I'm understanding correctly what's being said, the trailer hitch ball stays rigid but rotates around axially in a socket or some such, or around an axis? .. I'm not aware of that style trailer hitch and ball assembly.

Perhaps I should have been more clear in my description. Here's the swivel ball I was seeking opinions on:

[url]http://www.amazon.com/Freedom-Pivot-Ball-Trailer-Hitch/dp/B0053H9088/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1384192836&sr=8-4&keywords=motorcycle+trailer+swi[/url&tag=goldwingdocs-20]

Ah yes - the old Pivot Ball. I think they originally designed those for Harleys that had slightly bent side stands, so that they leaned over further than normal. Probably a good idea there. Our Goldwings do not lean that far except when we are doing twisties, that the Harleys cannot get down into, if they are full dressers. I always striped my deckers so that they could get into those twisties, but if it leaned low on side stand, I could see a binding trailer hitch possibility. I thought you were speaking of the full swivel hitch like this one on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/trailer-hitch-s ... 1211264359
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

wingit11
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade
1990 GL1500SE/California Sidecar Friendship III

Postby wingit11 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:40 am

I have known a couple of people that have benefited from installing a swivel on the trailer coupler. The first incident was a rider on a BMW with small trailer ran over a muffler on the highway. She managed to control the bike but the trailer was flipped upside down. She was able to come to a controlled stop, although a quick stop, without upsetting the bike. Without the swivel it would have definitely taken the bike with it. Flipped the trailer back on it's wheels and the only damage was to the paint finish.

The other incident was with another friend that did not have a swivel and while making a tight right turn into a campground with a down hill grade and an off camber to the road, there was not enough rotation on the ball to allow for it causing the bike to go down. Fortunately it was at slow speed and just a few scratches to case guards.

In my opinion, I think the swivel on the trailer coupler is a better option than the Freedom Pivot Ball Trailer Hitch. Just my 2 cents worth.

mxwllslvrhmr

Postby mxwllslvrhmr » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:26 pm

The concern I have with the pivot style ball is if due to some road condition a trailer could perhaps get into some kind of side to side oscillation via the 'pivot' action of the ball. .. The ebay trailer hitch 360 degree swivel looks like a good way to go.

Thanks

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:37 pm

mxwllslvrhmr wrote:The concern I have with the pivot style ball is if due to some road condition a trailer could perhaps get into some kind of side to side oscillation via the 'pivot' action of the ball. .. The ebay trailer hitch 360 degree swivel looks like a good way to go.

Thanks

I've always thought the same thing, and disqualified it right away as a result.

I've never had a problem with my standard ball hitch, and even if the bike were to fall over, it wouldn't exceed the maximum angle of the ball.

Return to “Camping and Trailers”