83 interstate tachometer squeel

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
glasshead
Motorcycle: 1983 Goldwing Interstate

83 interstate tachometer squeel

Postby glasshead » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:34 pm

My tach started squeeling intermittently. Really loud. If I wiggled the cable at the back of the tach a bunch it would stop, but then start again a couple of blocks down the road. I unscrewed the cable and by pushing it in farther or less, I could get it to squeel or not squeel (at idle on the center stand). But as soon as I screwed it back on, it started again. (The cable is only a year old.) I took the tach off, but could not tell anything about it. I just unscrewed the cable until I get it fixed. Is there any fixing it, or does it mean a new tachometer?

rich

Sagebrush
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100
1982 GL1100
2001 GL1800 CSC Trike
2002 GL1800

Re: 83 interstate tachometer squeel

Postby Sagebrush » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:09 am

There is an oil impregnated brass bushing at the base of the tach where the cable screws in. Over the years that bushing has dried out. Some folks have had success in attempting to re-oil the bushing. One has to be careful though as any oil that gets up into the workings of the tach tends to gum things up. I think the best method found was to put a dab of light grease on the end of the cable where it passes into the bushing which would help localize the lubricant to just the bushing. It would probably be better to apply two or more successive light coats on the cable end and run the cable in the tach for a few miles between applications. You could rig up a method to turn the tach with a drill but that might involve getting another tach cable or a scrap one. The only other method I can think that might work would be to remove the tach and disassemble it which is not easy to do as the tach is not designed to be taken apart. The bushing is pressed in so one could soak it in a shallow pan of oil with the body of the tach held upright so oil wouldn't get inside the case.

If these methods don't work you would end up replacing the tach which is where you are at right now so really not much lost except some time.

glasshead

Postby glasshead » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:25 pm

My philosophy is, especially if you have a broken part anyway, no guts, no glory. I was just hoping that there was a trick to getting the tach apart and maybe a replaceable gear or something inside. If I can't fix it, what choices do I have in replacing it? How does a person know if the one off ebay isn't about to go as well? Is there a generic knew tachometer out there that would fit? Or another model bike that uses an identical one if the price would be better.

Sagebrush
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100
1982 GL1100
2001 GL1800 CSC Trike
2002 GL1800

Postby Sagebrush » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:10 am

I've taken tachs apart before. I cut the ring between the two halves with a Dremel with as thin a cut as possible. Once that is done then the two halves separate relatively easily. The tricky part is getting it back together. Buy a large hose clamp that will fit around the circumference of the tack body. Align the two halves, install the ring previously cut and place the clamp around the ring. Mix up some JB Weld and work under the ring at the split and along the junction of the ring and the carb body for about and inch and a half on either side of the cut. Don't spread too much and make a mess with it. Allow it to cure thoroughly. If you position the ring with the cut at the bottom of the tach then the split will disappear when installed back on the bike and won't be noticeable at all. You won't find much to lube inside the tach, it a simple device but its easily destroyed. Gently clean it at most no harsh chemicals because they will wipe the numbers off the wheels. The bushing is located where the tachometer cable enters the tach assembly.

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:03 pm

glasshead

Postby glasshead » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:57 pm

I actually did take it apart. I pried the chrome ring up from the back with a small screwdriver, then used a bigger screwdriver to pry it up enough to get it off. Never in a million years would I have guessed that the tach needle was driven by a disc shaped magnet on the end of the shaft driven by the cable. The magnetic disk sits inside a small bell housing that is attached to the shaft that holds the needle, for those who don't know and MIGHT be curious. :roll: Since the torque on the needdle's shaft is a magnetic force, it makes a good clutch.
You are right, no parts to lube inside. I put the ring back on, bent the lip down as best I could with pliers and coated it with liquid nails. (No other reason than that is all I had available.)
I could stick a small screwdriver in the end where the cable goes, and by spinning it back and forth, I could feel the friction and hear a little noise. When I got it back together, I forced grease in between the edge of the cable housing and the part that turns. Not much space there, but I heated the housing shaft a little with a butane lighter until grease melted down, and kept turning the female end that the cable goes into while feeding it more grease.
I shut the bike down for the winter, so it will be a while before I find out if it worked.
$100 for an ebay one, $250 for a new one. I am counting on it working.

rich

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”