Clarion II Terminal

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Jeeper
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Clarion II Terminal

Postby Jeeper » Mon May 03, 2010 6:06 pm

I've been mulling over the whole radio/intercom/cb system in my '83 Aspencade and have had a few ideas that I wanted to just throw out there, and hopefully the gurus who have worked a bit more with the system (that means you Wingadmin :D ) can give me a bit of feedback. Looking at your bluetooth installation, it appears you wired the bluetooth module right into the intercom system.

The key to the whole system appears to be the "Component Terminal". The box with all the DIN connectors. It would seem that this box controls all the audio on the bike. With the radio on, it puts music out to the speakers, or the headset depending on the switches. If you talk on the intercom, this will route that to the headsets. If you turn on the cassette player, it will switch the audio from the radio to that component. When someone talks on the CB, it will intermingle that audio as well. I was hoping to find a schematic showing the pinouts of each of the DIN connectors, but haven't seen one yet. There is the multichanger pinouts listed in the documents, but if you bring it up it states its for a Type 3 unit, not the type II.

Thinking outloud: the terminal is looking for some type of signal for each of these devices. So when you turn the cassette on, it will turn off the radio. I'm not sure if there is an actual power feed coming from the component itself, or its just detecting the audio output. The reason I've been mulling this system over is I would like to upgrade certain components but not loose other features. For example, I have no use for a cassette player, but could use a CD player or a satellite radio. If I pull out the cassette player and install a nice marine grade radio, can I then wire it into the component terminal box so it will use the rest of the system, like the intercom and CB. I'm thinking I may have to get a unit that comes with pre-amp outputs, but those are fairly common now-a-days. Obviously putting a cd/radio in place of the cassette means I wouldn't need the original radio, but that input might be replaced with something such as the satellite radio. I would loose the lovely LED turner display, but its not like I change stations that often anyway. Besides, I'm thinking that space on the fairing is just about the same size as my XM tuner. I would loose the ability to seek radio stations from the handle bars, but that isn't working on my bike at the moment anyway. I realize the existing radio turner panel would become useless as well, but as it's a component system, I might figure out something else to put into that spot.

Food for thought.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Clarion II Terminal

Postby WingAdmin » Wed May 05, 2010 11:41 am

I'm pretty sure that the component terminal box does not have any audio-sensing capability. It switches amongst the various inputs based upon signals presented by the components themselves - through the DIN cables, to which I don't have pinouts, unfortunately.

I don't have a cassette player, so I can't say for sure - but I *think* it would switch to that if the cassette player is activated. Otherwise it plays the radio, with the intercom taking precedence when its squelch is broken. The CB takes precedence over the radio as well, but I think the intercom takes precedence over the CB during incoming transmissions. I know that everything is squelched when the CB is transmitting, you can hear the relay that does this click inside it when you key the transmitter.

I fed my satellite radio audio (which yes, is line-level) in alongside the tuner audio, and put an external switch in that switches between the two. I also put a stereo pot in to adjust the satellite radio volume, as the volume control for the radio just adjusts a voltage level that the radio tuner uses to adjust its output level - it isn't actually an audio pot.

fr1tz
Motorcycle: 1982 Aspencade CSC Trike

Postby fr1tz » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:03 pm

Hey : WingAdmin is correct in what he said, also when the cassette player is turned on it replaces the am/fm signal the intercom over rides everything , the CB squelch level adjusts the noise threshold which fades the am/fm or cassette or mp3 player with cassette adapter only. I am told that adding anything would be difficult because of the type of control box ( dinosaur)

If you come up with a way to add gps please post it here Fritz
Never ride faster than your guardian angle can fly

vrlpete
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A

Postby vrlpete » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:40 am

wingadmin, that mod sounds similar to mine. did you happen to jot down those pin functions on the din connector?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:45 am

vrlpete wrote:wingadmin, that mod sounds similar to mine. did you happen to jot down those pin functions on the din connector?

I don't know the individual pin functions, no.

Wilcoy02
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100 I purchased 3/16

1983 GL1100I frame with an 80 engine. poor boy installed with C-5 ignition--DIED in Grande Prairie Alberta Canada 8/15

98 valkyrie sold 8/16

Postby Wilcoy02 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:22 pm

You can always call Jeff at Sierra electronics. He is the one who still works on these ancient radios. I know he has all the schematics on these radios as I have had the pleasure of seeing them.

Wayne
Motorcycle: 2000 Valkyrie Tourer
2008 GL1800 Level 3 White
2015 GL1800 Level 3 Red/Black Anniversary

Postby Wayne » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:51 pm

You can call Jeff after the holiday. He is here at Wing Ding and will be back Tuesday.

vrlpete
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100A

Postby vrlpete » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:21 pm

Thanks, I'll talk to Jeff.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”