Click when trying to start

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
lovig214
Motorcycle: 1983 gl1100 goldwing

Click when trying to start

Postby lovig214 » Mon May 03, 2010 7:35 pm

Hi folks,
This is my first Gold wing it is a 1983 Interstate. I just bought it the guy rode it last year. He keeps it heated garaged. He said the he tried to start it the other day before i bought it and it wouldn't start. He said it will need a new battery. i got it home and bought a battery for it from a honda shop and they charged it for me so I fairly certain is the correct battery. What it does if it will make a single click sound at what i think might be the selenoid. Any Ideas as to what i need to do to get it to start.

Jeeper
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Re: Click when trying to start

Postby Jeeper » Mon May 03, 2010 8:16 pm

The clicking is most likely the solenoid. A couple quick tests, if you have a test light put it on the wire going into the starter. When you push the start button the light should light indicating that the solenoid is working and sending power to the starter. If that works, than chances are the starter is bad and will need to be rebuilt/replaced.

If the light doesn't light, you can try using a jumper cable connected to the positive side of the battery, and touching it to the starter post. If the engine turns over, the starter is fine and the solenoid is probably the culprit. When doing any of these tests just remember the starter draws a lot of amps so be careful. There is a 30 amp fuse on the side of the solenoid, but if that were bad I don't believe you would get power anywhere on the bike.

cbach1981
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I Interstate

Postby cbach1981 » Mon May 03, 2010 8:32 pm

Just had this same issue about a month ago. Do the tests as described, but I recommend a volt meter or multimeter. That way, if there is power through the solenoid you'll know how much there is. If it's too low, it may light a test light but not be enough to turn the starter. Mine turned out to be a bad solenoid. Just pulled the one out of my 86 interceptor and it fired right up.
    You only need two tools in life - wd-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the wd-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape!

lovig214
Motorcycle: 1983 gl1100 goldwing

Postby lovig214 » Tue May 04, 2010 4:16 am

Thanks guys
When I get home tonight I will make those tests and narrow it down. Thanks again Craig

panthernut9
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade

Postby panthernut9 » Tue May 04, 2010 7:39 am

I had the same problem, however I did not do any of the tests mentioned above. I narrowed mine down to the ground cable. It was corroded and dirty. After cleaning it up and putting it back on it cranked. However I went and purchased another ground cable (locally) like $6 @ autostore. Replacing it seemed better than cleaning it again in 6 or so months as the residue on the wires was greenish. Also cleaned up the connections for the solenoid they were pretty grimy as well. Cranks till the battery dies, but in my case I need to now move on to a carb rebuild, :roll: . Good luck.

IT'S ONLY MAGIC WHEN YOU DON'T KNOW HOW IT WORKS! ! !

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”