Clicking in Left Control

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
FlashBack
Motorcycle: 1983 Honda GL1100 Interstate

Clicking in Left Control

Postby FlashBack » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:43 pm

Well we survived a low of -10 here in Oregon. It was incredible!
I was out riding this last weekend (back to 45 degrees) and noticed a clicking in the left control unit on the handlebar.
It will click 3 or 4 times.
The only things i noticed was affected is the left turn signal. Self cancelling will engage shortly following the left turn signal being turned on. Does not seem to affect the right turn signal
Also, since I have had the bike, the radio has performed like it has a short but my attempts to trace it down havn't led me anywhere. I could listen to it but volume was affected. Seemed "Dulled" if that can be interpreted. Until now.
When this clicking began, the radio goes to normal operation but typically when the bike is warmed up.
Is it possible these are related issues given the control has the scan tied to the radio?. Anyone experience this before?
As always, I reallly appreciate the feedback from others and especially this site.
Bikes starting awsome since i rebuilt the starter thanks to the DYI on starter rebuild.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Clicking in Left Control

Postby virgilmobile » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:52 am

The clicking should be the solenoid in the bottom of the left switch cluster...When the turn signal is latched in either direction,this solenoid unlatches it to allow the turn signal switch to return to the off position...Auto canceling.
Multiple clicking is wrong...It's suppose to click only once to cancel the signal....

There's just a few parts involved and they change between models and years....
There is a angle sensor under the steering triple tree...It's just like a volume control..
there is a speed pulse generator...Other than the Aspy(all digital),it's built into the spedo.
And there's the canceler circuit...A sealed unit...not repairable,but look at it..Mine had a ugly bulge in the side...it was bad.
The last thing is that switch cluster..

If the switch does not return easily to the center position on the first click,the canceler may attempt to click again...
If the canceler receives false signals from the angle sensor,speed pulse switch , voltages from the flasher,or even a corroded ground,the canceler may think it's suppose to cancel the turn signal.
Check "by the book"each of the canceler inputs,disassemble and clean/repair as necessary the turn signal switch assembly.....Be aware that there are small springs in there..

If all checks good,replace the canceler box....

As far as the radio....Muted volume...there is a mute button on the left cluster if I remember correctly....While you have the cluster apart,inspect it's function and look for wire abrasion touching ground.
Also,if it's equipped,there may be a "auto volume" control...It's purpose is to lower the volume as the bike comes to a stop and automatically increase the volume as your speed increases...This magic box used speed pulses from the bike,the same one the canceler does to trigger off the turn signals..
Honda Goldwing Panasonic RM-M1100 Audio Amplifier Service Manual-73E1B.pdf

FlashBack

Postby FlashBack » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:27 am

Thank you for the response. Looks like i have my work cut out for me this weekend. I will delve it to trying track down the clicking. It sounds like the radio is in fact a seperate issue.
Thanks again for the response

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:40 am

The tests for the cancle system are covered in the manual.Really not too hard to follow.
Watch closely the readings on the angle sensor.I used a ohm meter and found mine was intermittent as I moved the lever left to right.It was also jumpy when I measured it as volts on the cancler box
It needs to be a smooth change.
The spedo pulses should be measured wih everything hooked up,key on and turning the front wheel.You will be able to measure voltage changes the right at the cancler box.
Keep us posted and take pictures.

FlashBack

Postby FlashBack » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:44 am

Will do. Pictures are a must. When i rebuilt my starter I took pictures throughout the process and posted them as they may help someone else out who had never done it before as I had not.
Again, thank you for your assistance. Have a great day

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”