Wont' start

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Aspencade

Wont' start

Postby echinus1988 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:33 am

Hi all,

First to everyone that has been helping me get my bike back together, THANK YOU!

I have my 1980 Goldwing back together.

Things I have learned:
1. I don't want to do it again for a long time.
2. You cannot put the pulse generator in wrong. In fact, there is a pin that breaks off when you replace the rear cover that the Clymer book doesn't mention. Make sure the pin lines up with the groove before you tap the rear cover back into place!
3. I have taking the engine out and putting it back in down to about 3 hours!

Now, the bike is back together, pulse generator pulsing but I can't start it. Tried starter fluid and it runs until the starter fluid runs out and it also backfires. Found out my fire extinguisher works in the garage!.

So, my new question is, what is the proper float height for the 1980 Goldwing? I saw mention that the Clymer book is wrong and I readjusted to match what is the correct height, blank on what it is. Did the adjustment as recommended, holding the carbs up so the floats just rest against the pin. I am pretty certain the floats are adjusted correctly if my information was correct.

I am going to remove the screw on the bottom of the bowl just to see if fuel comes out. Other than that, any suggestions?

Thank you all.

Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Wont' start

Postby virgilmobile » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:40 pm

That's the first thing....Remember it takes a bunch of cranking to fill the carbs with that mechanical pump.
Fuel delivery can be tested too...just in case the filter is plugged,pump is bad or Heaven forbid you forgot to turn on the fuel..
Don't ask how I know about that either....my wife never forgot.. :mrgreen:

That it does try to start indicates lack of fuel to keep it running.....

Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:54 am

Pull the line off the pump out port ( easier than the #3 port) attach a alternative fuel source..bottle with tube gravity fed..if that works..= problems with pump,filter or plugged tank or shut switch. if still no go issue could be in the number 3 carb it's the source for all gas into the system.

Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100AD
1980 CB400N

Postby David-Mantle » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:25 am

By any chance did you strip down the pulse generator and strip auto-advance bob weights when you took them off the engine? They can be assembled and put back 180 degrees out ( I know - I did it ) . This will throw the ignition timing out by 180 . My solution was to create a patch lead which corrected this and attached it to where the pulse generator plug connects to the main loom to the left of the battery and just above where the alternator connects.

Just a thought - hope it helps.

The only silly question is the one you don`t ask. Everything else is game.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”