My winter project

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
veg_eta_ble
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100

My winter project

Postby veg_eta_ble » Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:25 am

Here is the list for repairs/maintenance/mods for this winter. Tires,timing belts, relay mod, coil mod, thermostat, thermostatic fan switch, exhaust leak, and repaint. Easy list.....or so I thought. :shock: Here are a few pics of what I found.
so much for just an exhaust leak
so much for just an exhaust leak
Overheated electrical connection
Overheated electrical connection
"Scotch locks" used to connect accessory
"Scotch locks" used to connect accessory
Dielectric melted out of ignition modules
Corrosion in connection to voltage regulator
Corrosion in connection to voltage regulator
After finding these items, I decided to extract the entire harness from the bike and go through it from one end of to the other.
Added to my list now are replace the fuse block with a blade type fuse block, replace dog bone main fuse with a blade type fuse, replace all the brake lines with braided stainless steel ones. Here are a few pics of how my poor bike looks now.
Going to be a long winter. ;)

If you walked out of bed today, had a job to go to, a home to go back to, and someone there who loves you, then my friends, you have already won. -Larry Miller

Johnyy Smoke
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Re: My winter project

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:51 pm

Nice info here. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15198
Regards, Johnyy

sparrowhawwk
Motorcycle: 78 GL
83 Int
76 Moto Guzzi Convert
73 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
76 Convert #2
83 Goldwing #2

Postby sparrowhawwk » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:49 pm

Looks like minor maintenance to me. :shock: :lol: :lol:

Johnyy Smoke

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:01 pm

Fill that with J.B. weld - and forget about it for the next 30 years! Regards, Johnyy

veg_eta_ble

Postby veg_eta_ble » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:57 am

Thanks for the link, Johnny. Very helpful :D And Sparrow, man I hope I don't have to do this EVERY winter :o The wire harness is such a rat's nest I think i will be using three foot of shrink tube and a pound of solder when done. :x The wife is dragging me off to an auction now, so I will post some more pics of my progress later. By the way, excellent idea on the JB weld for the ignition modules, my only question is if the material is non-conductive? Anyone out here know?
If you walked out of bed today, had a job to go to, a home to go back to, and someone there who loves you, then my friends, you have already won. -Larry Miller

Johnyy Smoke

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:57 am

Its what I used on mine, with no problems, so I would say its non- conductive. Regards, Johnyy

veg_eta_ble

Postby veg_eta_ble » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:16 pm

Thanks again, Johnyy. I really appreciate the input. :D Well as promised, here a few pics of what I have done on my harness.
Every wire in the steering head area was either burnt, pinched, scraped or repaired previously, except one.
Every wire in the steering head area was either burnt, pinched, scraped or repaired previously, except one.
My repair for the overheated connector on the starter solenoid
My repair for the overheated connector on the starter solenoid
Complete harness after being repaired and tested, ready to install.
Complete harness after being repaired and tested, ready to install.
I still have all the rest of the wiring for all the components to go thru, especialy the connections at the steering head for the fairing and handlebars. :roll: In the meantime, my wife is taking on the task of repainting all the badges and emblems. Here is her first completed one.
Maybe I can get her to do the rest of the paint on the bike for me. :lol: :lol: :lol:

NKYWinger
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade
2003 GL1800

Postby NKYWinger » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:22 am

Man! To tackle the main harness is a MAJOR project!

You will have a trouble bike when you are done - keep the pics coming!
--John--

FTCS(SS) USN Ret.
'83 GL1100 Aspy (SOLD)
'03 GL1800
'08 Lees-ure Lite
GWRRA 339547 KY - 'G'
DS# 1547

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:51 pm

NKYWinger wrote:Man! To tackle the main harness is a MAJOR project!

Yup, redoing that main harness is going to fix a LOT of problems that crop up on the 1100.

veg_eta_ble

Postby veg_eta_ble » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:34 pm

NKYWinger wrote:Man! To tackle the main harness is a MAJOR project!

:shock: :?: :? I REALLY hope you meant trouble-FREE! :lol:
And yes I hope this takes care of a lot of little headaches (like the engine dying whenever I depressed the horn button). With this cold snap at least I can maintain the patience to do the work the right way. :D

NKYWinger
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade
2003 GL1800

Postby NKYWinger » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:00 am

Yup - I did mean trouble free. Must be the sub zero temps that have my brain not working well.....if only! LOL
--John--

FTCS(SS) USN Ret.
'83 GL1100 Aspy (SOLD)
'03 GL1800
'08 Lees-ure Lite
GWRRA 339547 KY - 'G'
DS# 1547

veg_eta_ble

Postby veg_eta_ble » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:03 pm

Well here I am again with this weekend's update. Last few weeks have been a were pretty intense with rehabbing the main harness, so I decided to just do some simple work on her today.
Mounting hole for lower was broken out
Mounting hole for lower was broken out
Repaired hole with a slurry of ABS shavings and cement.
Repaired hole with a slurry of ABS shavings and cement.
Did the same with various holes drilled out by the PO and some cracks.
Did the same with various holes drilled out by the PO and some cracks.
Spent some time cleaning and polishing various parts (Ah, the smell of chrome polish in the morning).
Spent some time cleaning and polishing various parts (Ah, the smell of chrome polish in the morning).
Bench testing horns after cleaniong
Bench testing horns after cleaniong
Found one of the two horns to be non-functioning. Opened it up and the electro-magnet that drives the horn was stuck and the internal contacts were welded together. After a little work, a tiny bit of grease and a point file on the contacts it works good as new again. A few dollars saved there means more to spend elsewhere :lol: . My wife is doing a fantastic job on the emblems and badges but I won't be posting any pics of those until they are completed :P . Oh, and told me no way in %&$% that she is painting the bike. :roll: Oh well, that is all for now. :D

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:58 pm

Oh my goodness, when I saw your bike all apart like that I had a flash back, it was most painful...I remember the satisfaction once I got everything right though and man did it take me a while to get correct... :shock: I got it and now I am confident that I can fix about anything on the bike...After all if I can't I have friends here that can help me... :D I guess I'm lucky or something because my spark units are still fine...Epoxy or JB Weld will fill that just fine...I have it in my mind that a bad ground causes this melting, electrical is my weak point for sure so who knows,,, I know this,, it only happens to some but not all...It makes sense to me its a ground being bad...I'd check your ground and clean it well at the frame and at the fuse box inside and behind it..Green wires,, clean them up well where they connect to be safe, this can't hurt a thing to do... One other thing that may cause those units to melt and that's if the three yellow wires from hell connection have melted, once that joint occurs who knows what could melt down the line... :shock:

veg_eta_ble

Postby veg_eta_ble » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:19 pm

Thanks, Littlebeaver. I have been "lurking" at a lot of the rebuild posts on this site for a couple of years now. So my update for this weekend has yielded 2 new truths to me: #1, this bike should have never ran and #2, this bike should have burnt down to the ground. The mere fact that I have put 18,000 miles on this bike since I bought it and neither one has occurred is either a testament to the quality that Honda engineered into these amazing machines OR someone felt that my ex-wife had punished me enough earlier in my life. :lol: Let the pictures speak:
I started to work on the mess on the wiring on the steering head.
I started to work on the mess on the wiring on the steering head.
Removed the harness from the steering head area to the Vetter fairing.
Removed the harness from the steering head area to the Vetter fairing.
After making all repairs, tested and wrapped up.
After making all repairs, tested and wrapped up.
Next weekend, even though it scares me, I am removing the harnesses from the handlebars to see what other "presents" I can find. :roll:

veg_eta_ble

Postby veg_eta_ble » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:36 pm

Just a few more things.
Spark unit filled up with JB Weld, thanks again, Johnny!
Spark unit filled up with JB Weld, thanks again, Johnny!
And last summer, I noticed that whenever the cooling fan kicked on there was a rattle to it. I took the fan and motor apart and found the rubber dampers on the screws were dry rotted and cracked out. Here is my fix.
Repainted, fan tested, fins straightened and all reassembled.
Repainted, fan tested, fins straightened and all reassembled.
The o rings I got from Napa and during the bench test there was no vibration or rattles. That's all for this week, folks. :D

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”