Noisy and bouncing Speedo

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
pschweitzer
Motorcycle: 1983 Goldwing Interstate GL1100I

Noisy and bouncing Speedo

Postby pschweitzer » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:23 pm

Lost my speedo back in November. I had to go back to Saudi for work but purchased a new cable and just replaced it today. Since my wife bought me a new Joe Rocket jacket for Christmas and the day was sunny went for a ride (it is not a winter jacket and it was 35F out but I wanted to ride although I am into at least one martini to warm up). The speedo is working again but the needle is bouncing above 45 MPH (seems to settle above 60 MPH), and there I can hear the whine when I come to a stop. I am wearing a full helmet and it is hard to tell if the noise is from the wheel or the speedo. Reading some of the posts hear it is pointing to the speedo, and between servicing a speedo or removing the front wheel I am hoping it is the speedometer. Any advise out there.

Pat

goldminerusa
Motorcycle: 1982 gl 1100standard, 1983 1000c

Re: Noisy and bouncing Speedo

Postby goldminerusa » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:05 pm

Hi Pat. I had that problem with my `82, the fix was to replace the speedo with one i bought here from a fellow member. The problem is the 30+ year old grease in your speedo, there is a fix for it, requires disassembling the unit, drilling a small hole and re-lubing. there is a how-to on this subject, not sure if it`s on this site or maybe the big wing site in Ireland/England, ah, http://www.nakedwings.com, not sure on that.

goldminerusa
Motorcycle: 1982 gl 1100standard, 1983 1000c

Postby goldminerusa » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:12 pm

Hi again, that english/irish website is http://www.ngwclub.com. Hope this helps.

pschweitzer
Motorcycle: 1983 Goldwing Interstate GL1100I

Postby pschweitzer » Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:01 pm

Thanks Goldminer,
There were some disassembly notes on the NGW site. I also found another one on Saunders and a bunch of suggestions on this site. Thanks for the info. It is a bunch easier to remove the speedo then the front wheel. I am hoping everything on the front end is good until I need to change rubber in a few years. I've got to travel back to work on Sunday, so I'll save this project until February when I am back in the US again. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Pat

bcassel
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 Interstate. Originally Candywine color, now Chrysler Cool Vanilla.

Postby bcassel » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:28 am

You can lube your speedo without disassembly. Get about 2 feet for clear vinyl hose that fits over the screw attachment where the cable connects to the speedo, 1/2" I think. Connect the hose to the back of the speedo, hold the other end of the hose up in the air or tie it up so it will stay above the speedo. Fill the hose with lightweight oil and let it sit overnight. Drain it off the next morning, reconnect the cable and off you go. I had to do mine three years ago and it's been humming along fine ever since.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”