No power from battery to starter

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Ragz
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100

No power from battery to starter

Postby Ragz » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:38 am

Hey All,
Been reading back through the other topics but after 4 pages I decided to post my question. I have an '80 and it has been firing up reall good all month. after I got home realized I had to go back out and tried to start her but no go! There is power to the lights, starter button, and starter relay. Checked the fuses and all are good.No sound out of starter, no buzz, no click....nada. Battery is only 3 weeks old and has a full charge. Any easy for me to check ideas. Im pretty handy. Thanks for any help in advance

The brand is not important, the fact that you RIDE is.

Ride Safe Ya'll!

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Re: No power from battery to starter

Postby ct1500 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:27 am

Test for voltage getting to starter terminal with button pushed using volt meter.
This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

Ragz

Postby Ragz » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:26 pm

Any chance it could be the starter switch? When I press it the lights go dim like its drawing power.... Still looking for my Voltmeter. My nephew has been playing in my tools again :lol:

Ride Safe Ya'll!

Ragz

Postby Ragz » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:18 pm

Ok while trying to warm myself from this Polar Vortex thing I went back to researching more posts. Found one that exactly describes my issue and jarred my memory. The starter switch I do believe is in need of cleaning or even replacing. Good volt reads everywhere. After reading post, remembered when I push start button lights go out but then just slience. Also had the starter continue to spin the other day after letting off switch. Gonna open it up and clean the switch and see whats what. I'll return

Ride Safe Ya'll!

FlashBack
Motorcycle: 1983 Honda GL1100 Interstate

Postby FlashBack » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:20 pm

Ragz wrote:Any chance it could be the starter switch? When I press it the lights go dim like its drawing power.... Still looking for my Voltmeter. My nephew has been playing in my tools again :lol:

I went through this same scenario with my 83 not long ago. It turned out to be the starter. The lights should dim when the starter butoon is pressed and will come back to normal when the button is released.
A couple of things to check:
1) Negative side of the battery cable to the motor mount. Ensure that it is clean and tight.
2) As stated, put a voltmeter to the starter terminal on the relay and see if you are getting power when the button is pressed. Also ensure that you are getting power to the starter post. Those dogbone fuses can have hairline cracks not visible that could impede power flow. Check the cover of the relay. I'm guessing there is a spare there.
If you are getting power down to the post, i would suspect either:
A) Starter is shot and needs to be Rebuilt/Replaced. I had to rebuild mine and it was not as tough as I thought it would be. Just be sure the bike is on the side stand when pulling/replacing starter due to the cog gear on the chain.
B) Engine may be hydrolocked but i doubt that is the case. Never the less, something to consider.
Has the starter ever been replaced or rebuilt? If not, and you want/ need to replace it, try to rebuild your OEM starter versus replacement of an aftermarket. A new OEM starter will run you about $185.00 versus rebuilding yours for about $35.00.
Good luck and hope this helps

Ragz

Postby Ragz » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:15 pm

Ok quick update....was able to jump start across start relay. she fired right up! all fuses look good. so I'm looking between the relay and switch.....Thank you all fo your input. Since it looks like this may be a different issue than the original posting I will repost as a new problem tomorrow if I cant trace the issue then. Thanks again :D

Ride Safe Ya'll!

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”