1983 Aspencade brake bleeding - tons of air bubbles

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
mpj220
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100Aspencade
1977 GL1000 Goldwing

1983 Aspencade brake bleeding - tons of air bubbles

Postby mpj220 » Wed May 05, 2010 8:52 pm

I have been trying to bleed the brakes on a 1983 Aspencade.
Using a Mity-Vac.

Front left caliper bled fine.

Right front and rear calipers appear to be operated by the foot brake. There is no pressure on the foot pedal.
Bleeding either caliper results in constant, large air bubbles. I have probably bled about 8 oz or more through each end and still have more bubbles than fluid.

Could it be the rear master blown?
Or, Am I missing something in the bleeding process?

Nothing leaks - just no pressure (or brakes!!)

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: 1983 Aspencade brake bleeding - tons of air bubbles

Postby WingAdmin » Thu May 06, 2010 10:34 am

Well first, let's make sure you're doing it correctly.

You want to bleed the right front caliper first. Make sure the rear caliper bleed valve is closed, and that the pedal reservoir is full of brake fluid.

Hook up your Mity-Vac to the right front caliper, pump up the vacuum, crack the bleeder open, and suck until you see no air bubbles. You may want to pump the pedal a couple times while doing this. Close the bleeder while still sucking before removing the Mity-Vac.

Top up the reservoir again.

Hook up the Mity-Vac to the rear caliper, pump up the vacuum, and crack the bleeder open. Keep sucking until you see no bubbles. Close the bleeder while still sucking, then remove the Mity-Vac.

I'd repeat both front and rear again, just to be sure you got all the air out.

If you are doing this now, and still seeing air bubbles, then you've got a leak somewhere that's letting air in.

mpj220
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100Aspencade
1977 GL1000 Goldwing

Re: 1983 Aspencade brake bleeding - tons of air bubbles

Postby mpj220 » Fri May 07, 2010 4:54 am

I ended up adjusting the foot brake for as much throw as I could and got a slight bit of pressure.
Since there was a slight bit of pressure, I decided to take the bike for a quick ride around the block.
It had enough to stop the bike but, not impressively.
Around the block went to why not a few miles. After about 5 miles, there was more and more pressure until it started sticking the brakes on (could smell it). Pulled over with brakes smoking and adjusted the foot pedal back until it unlocked the brakes - all seems good now.

I am still going to rebuild the master since I already ordered and paid for the rebuild kit.

Maybe it was a stubborn air bubble or sticky piston on a rear caliper. The fronts were both good and moving free - that's how I discovered the foot brake controlled the front right caliper.

The bike has been sitting for 2 years - I am sure other strange things are going to happen.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”