Ya! Head back On, Was "valve snap after replacing seals"

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
triketrash
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Interstate

Ya! Head back On, Was "valve snap after replacing seals"

Postby triketrash » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:00 am

Got my head back together and timed the bike. As usual I did the job twice. I hadn't noticed the second o-ring on the oil control valve between the block and the head; the reason is because the old one was nothing more than a smudge- it was disintegrated beyond recognition so I initially put the head on with only the smaller o-ring that goes in the groove. I'm wondering now if this may have been the reason for my smoke at start up and not the valve seals after all. Anyway, several guys on the forum said I was likely to have trouble without it, so I took the head off again and installed it. I probably didn't have to do it, but I tossed the first new head gasket and put on another fresh one- didn't want to do this again anytime soon. If you followed my first thread, you'll know that I was initially trying to replace the valve seals without removing the head, but I bent the #3 intake valve when re-installing the rocker assembly by not backing off the adjusters enough- It's very tight when the #1 is at TDC. Live and learn.

So I ran the bike today and it seems good. I don't see any leaks and the compression is 160, so no complaints there. And.... drum roll please... there was no cloud of smoke from the right side at startup. Excellent, my bike is a little less Ghetto Wing and a little more Gold Wing :lol: :D

I have a question though. While I still have the front end apart, do guys recommend changing the water pump? I haven't noticed any leaks from the weep hole, so should I just keep riding til I see that or on a 30+ year old bike with 57K should I just change it before it gives up the ghost?

Another job waiting for me is the front fork seal change- the right one is now leaking pretty badly.

Thanks for all the help on this guys, especially Johnny Smoke and CT1500- much appreciated.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Ya! Head back On, Was "valve snap after replacing seals"

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:39 pm

Changing the water pump is easy, it's mostly disassembly and reassembly to GET to the water pump. You've got 90% of the disassembly already done, so if it's still the original pump, I'd say go for it! If you leave it be, you can pretty much guarantee it will fail within a month of putting everything back together. :)

triketrash

Postby triketrash » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:41 am

Ya you're probably right about that WingAdmin if what we know about Murphy's law holds true. OK I'm on it. I ordered the parts today from Cylclemax as you suggested. I also ordered an oil filter, a Clymer manual and a couple other tidbits. Anything else you can think of doing while it's all apart or should that about do it for now? I changed the timing belts about 1000 miles ago.

Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:59 pm

I would change the radiator hoses and the thermostat- even if they seem to be fine. You can buy a hose at Napa (the part # escapes me now) . It is a one piece hose that you will have to cut at a certain point to make both hoses. Just as good as OEM and much cheaper. A quick search on this site for the # will yield results. You should already have the O- ring for the thermostat housing from the Athena kit. Let us know how it goes. Regards, Johnyy

triketrash

Postby triketrash » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:26 pm

OK Johnny- I'm already on to replacing the hose at WingAdmin's suggestion and have the Napa part#- I'll have a look at the thermostat too then- that makes sense.

thanks,
Vince

triketrash

Postby triketrash » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:01 am

After having decided to replace my waterpump and ordering an OEM, I pulled out the old one today only to find a nice shiny impeller that appears to be in fine working order. Obviously, I'm not the first guy to have this idea. Now I have to decide if I want to change out a perfectly good pump just because I have a new one coming my way or leave well enough alone and sell my new one on Ebay:)

David-Mantle
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100AD
1980 CB400N

Postby David-Mantle » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:33 pm

I would be tempted to keep the "old" one in place and keep the new as a spare...sod`s ( or Murphy`s ) law says if you get rid of it you might need it sooner than you think.
The only silly question is the one you don`t ask. Everything else is game.

http://www.ngwclub.com/shoptalk/
http://yuq.me/users/24/690/5CwYRzT8lx.gif

washandy98664
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 I
1985 GL1200 LTD

Postby washandy98664 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:18 pm

Geez..... Seems like I'm not the only one who has bad luck on repairs.
After I did the valve guide seals, I started having a little back fire and then a sort of knock, but luckly no smoke.
By the sound and location of the noise it looks like I bent the intake on #3 as well.
Looks like next week I get to pull the head and replace the valve.................

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”