the bike is SMOKIN!

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
praitorianlord11
Motorcycle: 1983 gl1100 aspencade

the bike is SMOKIN!

Postby praitorianlord11 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:49 pm

okay, first, all the people who helped me get the bike to this point, much thanks and thank you all for being so awesome! that said, on to my new problem: just got the beast to fire and run, now i'm getting smoke from between the heads, valve covers, and belts. PO put the bike through storing procedure, I'm not sure how long it's sat before all this. Any help is always appreciated, and thanks! P.S. huge thanks to virgilmobile for all the help!!

David-Mantle
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100AD
1980 CB400N

Re: the bike is SMOKIN!

Postby David-Mantle » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:55 am

Smoke or steam?Black ( fuel) , blue ( oil ) white ( steam ). Any smoke out of exhaust pipe.? Is the smoke only during start up or when engine warm/hot?
As far as I know there should be no way any should emanate from belt cover unless a crack somewhere in the head casting though by your description I would be inclined to investigate the head gasket. Not all gaskets fail in the same way, I had one fail between waterway and oil.Bike ran good and had good compression pressure but oil got emulsified because of water contamination. Had a car once where the gasket pissed out oil onto exhaust system but engine also ran good. In both cases head was warped enough to give me some problems but the compression rings within gaskets were , in both cases , still good and doing its job.
Just a thought - hope it helps.
The only silly question is the one you don`t ask. Everything else is game.

http://www.ngwclub.com/shoptalk/
http://yuq.me/users/24/690/5CwYRzT8lx.gif

praitorianlord11
Motorcycle: 1983 gl1100 aspencade

Postby praitorianlord11 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:34 am

It was white, and i think it's been sitting since '09, so probably just burning something off, it stopped after warm up, threw some seafoam in the gas and oil, and ran that through, so it smoked for a bit. Thanks on that, definitely doing a compression test before she goes back on the road

Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:12 am

Mine will smoke like a insect fogger after winter storage- then it stops after it warms up. Sounds normal. Regards, Johnyy

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”