'80 Interstate Buy (Newbie)

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
RonHolly
Motorcycle: 1977 Gold Wing
1980 GW Interstate
1998 Valkyrie Tourer

'80 Interstate Buy (Newbie)

Postby RonHolly » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:37 am

I won the bid on an '80 Interstate that runs but not very well. Former owner rebuilt carbs and couldn't get it running properly and sold it on eBay. Can't make my mind to restore it or sell all the goodies off it and make a Cafe/Bobber style bike. I also have a '77 that I decided to just restore it cause it runs good and because it's 40 years old.

DON'T KNOW IF THIS IS THE KIND OF FORUM TO DO THIS SORT OF DISCUSSION OR NOT.

UPDATE:
I just got back from Tallahassee (2/01/14). What I nightmare of a trip. When I got there it was sleeting and 30 degrees! Guess what? Pictures always look better than the bike, I guess. Not really bad but just not as good as I had thought of in my head! By the time I got to the place I was going to stay that night, it was 29 degrees. "Then" I had a horrible thought. What if he didn't put anti-freeze in it! I called him and he said he didn't even think about that being it was in his garage and did put only water in her! Well you guess it, me with no tools and temp dropping I had to cut the radiator hose and start the engine to push water out of the engine. Don't know if any damage was done till I get her checked out the next day or two. Started back to Tampa Thursday evening, and about 75 miles down the road, and the fuel pump went out in my Tahoe. Out in the middle of "NOWHERE" and even the cattle don't roam. Had no signal on my cell phone to call AAA towing. Got up on the roof and barely made contact to get towed. Two days later, and $561.00 mechanic bill, plus motel I made it back to Tampa this evening. "Now will someone give me some cheese to go along with my whine!" :shock:
Attachments

RonHolly
1980 GW Interstate
1998 Valkyrie Tourer

Re: '80 Interstate Buy (Newbie)

Postby RonHolly » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:12 am

Got around to doing some preliminary checks and found that all four plugs were gapped differently as well as all four were gapped too small. I also hear what I think is a snapping sound like one of the plug wires on the left side is jumping over to ground. The battery either crashed or my battery charger did. After about thirty seconds, charging at 8 amps, the charger turns off. I took the battery to AutoZone and they checked it as being good and are charging it now and will check it again for bad cells under a load. I also bought another radiator hose from them that is the same diameter and will cut it for new top and bottom hoses. It's a Dayco length "B" Code, and PN 70834. I'm going to check out the valve adjustment in the morning when it's cold. I think they are .1mm intake and .13mm exhaust. (I'll double check before doing it.) Noticed that the gas was also no good and will add good gas to it because it's almost empty.
RonHolly

1998 Valkyrie Tourer

Read more: viewtopic.php?f=3&p=111429#p111429#ixzz2sLnYF45X

RonHolly
1980 GW Interstate
1998 Valkyrie Tourer

Postby RonHolly » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:55 pm

I adjusted the valves, installed new lower radiator hose, removed the fairing, cleaned the air filter and pulled the four spark plug insulators and cut 1/4" off wires. The plugs are new but they are burning very rich and has weak spark. The wires jump a nice blue spark to chassis about 1.5"! I don't think the air filter is correct cause the top won't screw all the way down. Runs better "butt" still not worth a darn! Gonna check the plugs again but am pretty sure they are the right ones and gapped properly. A fellow forum member is coming over later this week to give me a hand at troubleshooting.
Attachments

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:08 pm

RonHolly wrote:I adjusted the valves, installed new lower radiator hose, removed the fairing, cleaned the air filter and pulled the four spark plug insulators and cut 1/4" off wires. The plugs are new but they are burning very rich and has weak spark. The wires jump a nice blue spark to chassis about 1.5"! I don't think the air filter is correct cause the top won't screw all the way down. Runs better "butt" still not worth a darn! Gonna check the plugs again but am pretty sure they are the right ones and gapped properly. A fellow forum member is coming over later this week to give me a hand at troubleshooting.

Some of the aftermarket air filters (Emgo for one) are a little tall, and won't allow the cover to screw down all the way. It's no big deal, the false tank will still install over top of it, and the exposed area is on the unfiltered side, so you aren't exposing your engine to dirt by running it that way.

RonHolly
1980 GW Interstate
1998 Valkyrie Tourer

Postby RonHolly » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:17 pm

Your correct but I still would like to have the correct filter. The one on there now is a K&N washable filter.

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:01 am

A dose of Seafoam in the tank sure wont hurt it any, probably clean out the idle jets for you.. don't forget to change the timing belts if you don't know their history. sounds like you have the basics under control 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

RonHolly
1980 GW Interstate
1998 Valkyrie Tourer

Postby RonHolly » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:20 am

Drained tank and checked for rust and contaminants. Blew air thru pet-cock to make sure it wasn't blocked. Found reversed fuel filter and turned it around but now have second though. It will probably reverse the contaminants back into carbs so I'll replace it. Tried to remove tank by removing the three visible bolts and bracket but could not get the tank to budge. The wiring has got so many "shade tree" repairs and add-on's that it will have to be straightened out before a potential electrical fire.

Cleaning/replacing plugs and doing a compression test will be my next step. Other than waiting to sync carbs I don't know where to go from here.

I did find a bad motor mount bolt on the left lower front. (Where the guard bolts.) As I tightened the 17mm nut the stub was pulling out of the block. I haven't really looked very close at that but I believe that's the way it works.

RonHolly
1980 GW Interstate
1998 Valkyrie Tourer

Postby RonHolly » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:51 am

Did I mention the deal came with another engine minus the heads and carbs? Haven't checked if it's an GL1000 or GL1100 yet. Anyway here's a pic.

RonHolly
1980 GW Interstate
1998 Valkyrie Tourer

Postby RonHolly » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:11 pm

Stopped raining so I checked the vacuum advance and "of course" it's popped! Smokes a good bit out of the right bank but it does run better than a 30 year old lawn mower. :lol:

Ok, so who's got a are vacuum advance to sell me? While your looking see if you have a spare speedo cable! :ugeek:

Fred Camper
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Postby Fred Camper » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:55 pm

keep in mind that the ignition system needs to be perfect before moving on to other items. Are the coils 38 years old? Does it have a electronic ignition and new wires. If the electronic ignition is 25 or more years old, then that can be suspect too. My Dyna III electronic ignition went bad at some 28 years old.

RonHolly
1980 GW Interstate
1998 Valkyrie Tourer

Postby RonHolly » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:41 pm

Fred Camper wrote:keep in mind that the ignition system needs to be perfect before moving on to other items. Are the coils 38 years old? Does it have a electronic ignition and new wires. If the electronic ignition is 25 or more years old, then that can be suspect too. My Dyna III electronic ignition went bad at some 28 years old.

I guess I'll have to take it one step at a time. Fix what is bad "for sure" then worry about things that might also need replacing. I know the wires and and wire caps are in need of attention though. Got a real hot spark but I think the plugs need cleaning or replacing. As far as any history of the bike goes, "who knows?"

RonHolly
1980 GW Interstate
1998 Valkyrie Tourer

Postby RonHolly » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:39 pm

Got tired of waiting on the rain to come and so I continued on with the troubleshooting process. Bought a new clear fuel filter to replace the very old one which was installed backwards. Noticed very little fuel flow so I removed the fuel pump and resurfaced the check valve surfaces. Lot more fuel flow now but seems to suck air. I think the two o-rings in the pet-cock are letting air in. Have to find my 0-ring set and replace them. Upon getting all that straight the GW runs a "lot" better. Once I get the vacuum advance replaced it should run pretty good.

I don't know what's going on with the right bank oil smoking. As of yet I haven't done a compression test. Could be rings, valve stem seals or plugs not firing hot enough. Another problem I noticed is the clutch lever is a bear to pull in. If I use it that way I'm going to have the strongest left hand grip in a month or two. LoL
Attachments

Fred Camper
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Postby Fred Camper » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:45 pm

Excellent progress. She may have it too long on the side stand and flooded the left bank. Wait for 200 miles before you give that serious concern. Have you sea foamed the gas tank yet. That tends to clean things up.

RonHolly
1980 GW Interstate
1998 Valkyrie Tourer

Postby RonHolly » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:39 pm

Fred Camper wrote:Excellent progress. She may have it too long on the side stand and flooded the left bank. Wait for 200 miles before you give that serious concern. Have you sea foamed the gas tank yet. That tends to clean things up.

Tank was cleaned and painted by former owner. (Clean and no rust) The carbs were also rebuilt by him. After she's on the road I'll be hoping she quits smoking.

1fastgl1100
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A and 1982 GL1100A Modified

Postby 1fastgl1100 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:03 am

Clutch lever could be just a binding cable. I would check that before you ride it... I think this lady can be saved and put back in service. One step at a time..

RonHolly
1980 GW Interstate
1998 Valkyrie Tourer

Postby RonHolly » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:19 pm

Going to Lakeland, Fl tomorrow to buy a used vacuum advance from another forum member. $20 is not bad!
Attachments

RonHolly
1980 GW Interstate
1998 Valkyrie Tourer

Postby RonHolly » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:04 pm

WHAT COULD IT BE?? Got a few minutes this afternoon to check on the hard to pull clutch lever. Removed the cable from the clutch arm and the clutch cable is not kinked or binding. Please don't tell me that I'm gonna have to crack open the clutch/tranny portion! Does it have a hydraulic release bearing assembly? (Dang, I just gotta get a repair manual or two!)

mytown
Motorcycle: 1982 Goldwing Interstate

Postby mytown » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:04 am

RonHolly wrote:WHAT COULD IT BE?? Got a few minutes this afternoon to check on the hard to pull clutch lever. Removed the cable from the clutch arm and the clutch cable is not kinked or binding. Please don't tell me that I'm gonna have to crack open the clutch/tranny portion! Does it have a hydraulic release bearing assembly? (Dang, I just gotta get a repair manual or two!)

Check this pivot point:

It can get pretty stuck. The nut at the bottom comes off and then the screw needs to be unscrewed. I sprayed w/wd40 then the screw moved a hair. Did this over and over until the screw came out. Protect the tank etc. from overspray.

mytown

Postby mytown » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:27 am

WingAdmin wrote:
RonHolly wrote:I don't think the air filter is correct cause the top won't screw all the way down.

Some of the aftermarket air filters (Emgo for one) are a little tall, and won't allow the cover to screw down all the way. It's no big deal, the false tank will still install over top of it, and the exposed area is on the unfiltered side, so you aren't exposing your engine to dirt by running it that way.

The filter that came with my bike and an Emgo replacement that I bought (PN 12-90021 - says it fits all Gl100 & 1200 models) were both too tall. I found that the lid on the tank shelter would not close shut if I left the tray in. I didn't see anything else that could be causing the problem, but I plan on taking a closer look in the spring.

RonHolly
1980 GW Interstate
1998 Valkyrie Tourer

Postby RonHolly » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:29 am

mytown wrote:
WingAdmin wrote:
RonHolly wrote:I don't think the air filter is correct cause the top won't screw all the way down.

The filter that came with my bike and an Emgo replacement that I bought (PN 12-90021 - says it fits all Gl100 & 1200 models) were both too tall. I found that the lid on the tank shelter would not close shut if I left the tray in. I didn't see anything else that could be causing the problem, but I plan on taking a closer look in the spring.

I'll check the lever, as you suggested, and see if there is a problem with it. Thanks for the tip!

Sagebrush
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100
1982 GL1100
2001 GL1800 CSC Trike
2002 GL1800

Postby Sagebrush » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:06 am

If the air filter housing has been removed its relatively easy to reassemble it incorrectly where the filter will be too tall. There is only one correct way to do it but it can be messed up a couple of different ways. I would look to how the filter box was put back together before I would blame the filter as being too tall.

RonHolly
1980 GW Interstate
1998 Valkyrie Tourer

Postby RonHolly » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:22 am

I'll take a look at the air box for correct installation. I already had it out once and it seems kind of a straight forward fit.

mytown

Postby mytown » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:47 am

mytown wrote:
WingAdmin wrote:

Well, I had a chance today to take a look at what was going on. The assembly looked correct:

The Emgo (left) is taller than a Honda filter due to a foam gasket on its bottom:

If the gasket is removed, they become the same height:

However, even after the gasket is removed from the Emgo and the heights match, the top of the airbox does not fit properly with the Emgo installed. Note the gap between top and the body of the box:

What's appears to be going on is that the Emgo top recess is shallower:

I don't think the problem is the rubber plugs on the top of the Emgo. I did not check that although I should have. Here's a video showing the different fit, Emgo (first) loose, Honda snug:

As for filtering, Admin is right that the air is filtered either way, the difference being that when the top fits snugly, the air comes only through the vents that are in the top. The tray fits with the Honda filter installed. It may or may not fit with the Emgo installed after its bottom gasket is removed. I forgot to check but will do so in the future since that was my primary concern :shock:.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”