New Member in Michigan

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Apencade

New Member in Michigan

Postby Krazy48446 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:08 am

I just got a new to me 83 GL1100 Aspencade.

I'm hoping to get it back on the road soon. It has a few smallish problems right now, cranks slow, runs a bit rough, doesn't like to start, the starter button sticks, calipers sticking, and the usual for a bike that sat for a little bit. I bought it from a dealer in Virgina for a song and dance, and a lot of gas money to get there and back (1640 miles to pick it up).

I wanted to say thanks for this site and to introduce myself here, I have learned so much lurking here for the past few months, so much that the dealer told me that I knew more about goldwings then their tech.

I plan on replacing the timing belts and adjusting the valves, as well as changing all the fluids and filters, before I decide if I really need to tear into the carbs.

Was also wondering if anyone might know some history on this bike, it would be great to find out that the timing belts were just replaced, or to talk to the original owner or something.

The old girl is a bit of an unusual yellow color, I am certain is not stock for an 83'. I don't know if I am going to paint it another color, as I am not sure how I feel about this color. What do you guys think? Also is there anything else you guys can think of that I might be missing in getting this girl back on the road?

Also what spark plugs do you guys run? I run champions in my other bike (GL500i) and notice no difference in performance on that, but I know this is a different beast. I can get the champion plugs almost free (at my local shops cost about $1 a plug or less for personal use).

Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Re: New Member in Michigan

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:02 am

Change the belts regardless, its cheap insurance. I would do the rad hoses also. Try all the simple fixes first. try and get her running fairly decent, then you can better determine what all its gonna need. I use NGK plugs, for no particular reason. They seem to work fine.
I think it looks cool the way it is. Regards, Johnyy

Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:11 am

check the battery under load you 10+ volts, also the connections between the battery and ground and the main line to the starter they can corrode inside clean out the starter, check the stator connection..the three yellow wires for melting and cut out connector and solder them instead. run some sea foam through if the carbs don't clean up time to rebuild.

Check charging rate at idle 900 rpm and at 3,000 rpm at idle under 12 at 3,000 should be over 13 v's

Take the plugs out after the bike has sat over night and crank her over with the stop switch turned to off. IF gas shoots out you have a leaking carb..causing hydrolock = slow or no turn over and could bend a rod..with plugs in place.

After you do the valves do a compression check anything under 140 is not good the spread shouldn't be more than 5 lb.s or so. if BELOW 140 adding oil to the cylinders and redo if it comes up 5 or so then rings are bad if not valves not seating well. 140's = ok, In the 150's is good, 160's great, 170 is perfect.

Johnyy Smoke
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100
Vetter. "Its like Deja Vu all over again".

Postby Johnyy Smoke » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:06 pm

Forget the tech crap- get it running first! Regards, Johnyy

Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100
1982 GL1100
2001 GL1800 CSC Trike
2002 GL1800

Postby Sagebrush » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:29 am

Before you run it much check out the gas tank internals by removing the seat and the fuel level sensor located at the top of the tank. Make sure the gas level in the tank is below the sensor level. Use a flash light and look to see if there is any rust lurking in the tank. You don't want to run fine particulate rust particles into your carbs (this stuff will get past the fuel filter) and clog them if they aren't already. Before anything will run well you need to know that the fuel delivery system is clean. You don't know how many folks have rebuilt their carbs or have had them rebuilt then immediately contaminated them by not ensuring that the tank, filter and fuel pump were clean.

By the way that bike looks familiar. I think I saw it on Ebay a few years ago for sale in Florida but I don't remember for sure.

Be careful when redoing your brakes. The 83 Aspencade with vented rotors were a one model one year deal only. Parts can be hard to come by.

Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A and 1982 GL1100A Modified

Postby 1fastgl1100 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:47 pm

Bike looks good, Getting it running is key. You can decide on color later after your riding a bit. check carbs and cylinder compression.. yes change the belts and the Rad hoses. look at spark and make sure its good and hot. battery may need to be replaced (Batteries Plus has a real nice Glass Mat Battery) and starter button can be bypassed.

Keep us informed but I think it looks great.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”