old same starter issue

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
henrybo
Motorcycle: 1981 GL 1100I

old same starter issue

Postby henrybo » Mon May 10, 2010 5:54 am

I was having trouble with My 81 GL 1100 turning over very slowly, sometimes not starting at all. Over the week end I took the starter out to clean it.There was piece of metal in there that looked like a punched out slug from a hole they punched in the case, I guess. To my surprise it was different than the photos in the how to section. There was no screw holding the + brush on, the wires were soldered right to the ones coming from inside. Also, I could not remove comutator because the windings inside were in the way. On top of that I found there was no grease in the gear end cover. Well, I cleaned the area of the shaft where the brushes rub with alcohol dried it real good, and packed the gears with grease. Put her back together and get nothing but a click. I was better off not touching it, but I have no idea what I did wrong. Can anybody tell me if Stockers is a good place to buy a new starter?
Thanks

Jeeper
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Re: old same starter issue

Postby Jeeper » Mon May 10, 2010 7:33 am

Stockers lists the GL1100 starter for $129.

DB Electrical has them for $72.

They are both new Mitsuba starters.

http://www.dbelectrical.com/Items/smu00 ... %20SMU0069

gordonv
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500
1999 GL1500CF
1982 GL1100A

Postby gordonv » Tue May 11, 2010 1:37 pm

I had always bench tested my auto starters after working on them. Usually just a set of jumpers and sometimes an extra wire and screw driver for the solidnoid. I've yet to ever have to buy anything for a starter, but found a good cleaning and sometimes a little metal welding has fixed all problems up.

Granted, the auto and MC starters may be different, but most likely only smaller for the MC. To me $ is in short supply, where as I have more time, so to pull the starter, bench test, and then either re-doing it or going onto finding where the power is not getting to the starter would be the way for me to do this.

I'm my case, while be putting my summer bike on the road soon, and while then have time to take the GW apart and work on it during the warmer summer months.

Michael DC
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby Michael DC » Wed May 12, 2010 4:03 pm

henrybo wrote:I was having trouble with My 81 GL 1100 turning over very slowly, sometimes not starting at all. Over the week end I took the starter out to clean it.There was piece of metal in there that looked like a punched out slug from a hole they punched in the case, I guess. To my surprise it was different than the photos in the how to section. There was no screw holding the + brush on, the wires were soldered right to the ones coming from inside. Also, I could not remove comutator because the windings inside were in the way. On top of that I found there was no grease in the gear end cover. Well, I cleaned the area of the shaft where the brushes rub with alcohol dried it real good, and packed the gears with grease. Put her back together and get nothing but a click. I was better off not touching it, but I have no idea what I did wrong. Can anybody tell me if Stockers is a good place to buy a new starter?
Thanks

Try to shortcircuit the starter relay with a screwdriver. If nothing happens, (starter don't turn), you might have bad connections on the battery supply. Grind with sandpaper or equal on connections, (wire connections), and terminals on battery.
The " click" you get is a good indication, that your relay is working properly. I was told these rarely are defect.
Just had the same problem with my starter. Grinded and cleaned all terminals and that solved my problem.

Inside every old person is a younger person, wondering...what the **** happened.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”