right front cylinder dont fire all the time

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
wingman83
Motorcycle: 83goldwing
81custom 650

right front cylinder dont fire all the time

Postby wingman83 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:23 pm

second try at this just messed up first post
ok I have a 1983 GL1100 Aspencade here's the story from start to finish the bike had sat up 14 months before I got it so before trying to turn it over we poured mystery oil in each plug hole and let it set for about a week then started the bike it ran like new sounded good strong perfect so we're burning all the oil off it's smoking of course so we run it for I say 45 mins or so still burning oil off smoking so we shut it down til the next day and this is feb year ago so next day started bike smoke still from oil but now it is missing bad popping back firing just not running as good as night before so take it to a mechanic I know he did a pressure check on cylinders the right front one was the problem he said it was leaking down pressure and wasn't firing every time he said what probably happen is that since we didn't let all the oil burn off that it got carbon build up on top of think he said piston cylinder something like that that he would have to go inside and clean it by hand and that it should run like before he said try some sea foam first so I done that but I'm on fixed income and don't have a lot of extra money so couldn't afford to have him take anything apart to do what he said needed to be done so 6 months go by and called to see what he would charge to do this now and he said he would want to put new piston and rings in it plus couple other things I was just wondering since the bike only has less then 5000 orig. miles on it and don't smoke does it really need this done or just do what he said at first clean what ever has carbon build up just don't have a lot of money to be doing things it really don't need or is this the smart thing to do I'm ready to get old 83 running like she should run cause the hole reason I got this bike in first place is be cause when I bought it my dad had just passed away year earlier and this was the kind of bike , year , color he last had when he gave up ridden do to sickness in 84 so it means more then just a bike to me it took a year to find it I fell in my lap only paid 125. for it now my health is going down hill and want to ride it 1 or so before I pass it on to my son that's in the Navy right now and hopefully keep it in the family for very long time well tell me what you think if it needs all that he wants to do thanks ride safe

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: right front cylinder dont fire all the time

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:52 pm

First you need to figure out if it is in fact just "burning off oil" that was in the cylinders (not still likely), or if it is burning crankcase oil. Throwing new pistons & rings at it without first even knowing the cause of the smoke is not the best method of wrenching.

Try a cylinder leakdown test, where the cylinder is pressurized and you wait to see if the pressure bleeds off. You can also do a compression test - both wet and dry. To do this, screw in the pressure gauge in place of the spark plug, switch the ignition off, and crank the engine with the throttle wide open. Measure the compression of each cylinder while doing this. Then do it again, only before testing each cylinder, squirt a teaspoon or so of oil into each cylinder to wet down (and seal) the cylinder sides.

wingman83
81custom 650

Postby wingman83 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:42 pm

I will try the pressure test you talk about it don't smoke now it just back fires every now and then and if your in 5th gear going 70 on I-40 SPEED LIMIT 70 and try to pass a semi if you don't speed up before you get to it you will slow down to what ever speed is wind blow out pushes you back to in order to pass semi you need to get up to 75 or 80 mph get by as fast as possible but there is no smoke at all just the popping and back firing and mechanic did a pressure test while back and he said the pressure in right front does slowly leak down said it wasn't closed all the way but I will have him test it with oil in the plug hole he didn't try that just tried it the other way
thanks it will be few days cause its raining here so when I can ride to his house I will get him to test it with the oil in plug hole and see what it does cause like I said he tried pressure test doing it with out the oil and it did slwly leak down other three was great
thanks again for the help hope to have it fixed soon

Sagebrush
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100
1982 GL1100
2001 GL1800 CSC Trike
2002 GL1800

Postby Sagebrush » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:45 pm

Two causes of a leak down test failing, one valves not sealing, two leaking around the piston rings. You need to determine which one. When pressurizing the cylinder listen very carefully you may be able to determine where the air is going, either into the block past the rings our out of the head past the valves. Also just because a cylinder isn't quite at compression or leaks a little around the valve doesn't mean that is the cause for the miss-fire. Check to see if any plugs are fouled or look to be running rich (not burning all of the gas) that is likely the suspect cylinder.

Since you put oil in the cylinders and you let the bike sit for an extended period (I'm sure you used Stabil in the gas while sitting didn't you) there may be reasons other than valves or rings causing the back fire. It could be as simple as a bad plug, plug cap or plug wire. Once you determine for sure which cylinder is miss-firing swap each component one at a time with another cylinder to see if the miss fire moves to a different cylinder. Make sure your ignition system is up to snuff before even thinking about tearing deeper into the bike.

Another problem could easily be in the carbs from letting the bike sit so long. If you have a partially plugged jet or circuit that could be the cause of your misfiring. Run the recommended amount of Seafoam in your gasoline for a few tanks to see if the problem corrects. If it doesn't then you haven't lost anything.

wingman83
81custom 650

Postby wingman83 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:58 pm

well since ive had the bike 2 years it hasn't sit that much other then when to cold or rainy weather after I first bought the bike we rebuilt the carbs Ive already put new plug wires and plugs in twice as well as changed the oil I ride it regular I bought this bike 2 years ago last month ive have ridden it ever since it has had this problem ever since I got it running but it still runs good just cant get in to it hard and it don't like 5th gear unless its haven a good day the only cylinder with a problem is the right front and that is what the mechanic said it was doing leaking around the valve not the rings he is certified with Honda Harley and any other motorcycle he said he could fix it I was just curious cause when he first looked at it he said cost that much to when I contacted him about working on it he said he wanted to go ahead and do pistons and rings and I was just wondering if that's really necessary I trust him just wondering what yal thought he said he would fix it for around 500 that's shaven the head and pistons and rings I think that's what his talking about Im taken the bike to him fri or sat weather permitting to talk to him again about what it will take to fix it if he can get this baby running right for that price hell yea he can have at it lol cause I only paid 125. for bike less then 5000 miles on it I just need the motor right at this time thanks this gives me more to ask him about when I talk to him he is just helping me out don't think he will be making anything off of it at that price o yea and we rebuilt the carbs when I bought the bike also
thanks again

RoadRogue
Motorcycle: 1997 1500SE

Postby RoadRogue » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:21 am

If this were my bike I would be taking it to a different Mechanic. This guy is recomending a piston and ring job on an engine that has only 5000 miles on it and he didnt even bother to do a wet compression test or a leak down test first?
Were the valves adjusted to the correct clearance first? Too tight and they allow compression to escape and can be the cause of backfiring or missing. You did say it was running well one day and not the next, try swapping number 1 plug with number 3 and see if the miss follows the plug. If so you now know the problem.
I think you need to find a better mechanic and look for your misfire in either ignition system or that carb not getting fuel properly.
These engines run for 250-350,000 miles with out needing anything more than routine maintainance like oil, and filter changes, and plugs.

Dont be afraid to let the RPMs climb up to redine when you are out riding around these engines are built to rev.it will pull hard right up to the redline all daybeveryday. Next time you want to pass someone and you are doing 60mph drop it to third and twist it up, its a kick in the butt and gauranteed to bring a smile to your face 8-)
Ride safe, Todd
Over night campers welcome

wingman83
81custom 650

Postby wingman83 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:30 am

thanks for all the advice deff will check around before any one does the work to it cause I don't have money to waste no one does these days but I will put the hammer to it and see whats up tho when passing some one he did a leak down pressure test on it that's how we know the front right one is the problem put all new plugs wires twice I talked to him today and he said it problly don't need the pistons or rings that he was saying if I wanted while he was there he could if it needed it I really trust this guy every one I know that has motorcycles and has had them for 20 or so years goes to this guy he said today something about valves im not sure im not a mechanic at all I change oil and basic things like that everything I know about bikes I've learned on this bike from getting it running when I bought 2 years ago when I said on its good days AND BAD DAYS I mean some days it don't back fire as much but its always about the same nevr likes 5th gear so stey on rds that are 55 mph or less cause on I-40 SPEED is 70 and that's pushing it will go up to 80 when nothing is around but if a car or truck puts wind on it she slows down to about 60 just don't have the power it should I have to gear down and speed back up but I will be havein it fixed here in next few weeks by some one lol just ready for it to run the way it was ment to run love this bike for a lot of reason more then just a bike to me shes rusty old but in other ways like new she has personality my dad was a Goldwing lover ever since I was barely walking he had one 650 750 gl1000 1100 1200 every Honda you can think of this was just like his last one he ever had color everything so I feel like he rides with me everytime I ride I think of him riden me when I was young but any way thanks for all the help this site is the best and has the best people on it thanks everyone

seelyark1
1998 GL1500 SE Totaled
1984 VT500C
1967 CB550-4

Postby seelyark1 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:01 am

Sorry I don't know a lot about the 1100s and 1200s, but has anyone thought about timing? Sounds like it runs good at low RPM but not at higher. Just a thought.
Ride safe, and smart. Asphalt is like #1 grit sandpaper. Dave

wingman83
81custom 650

Postby wingman83 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:05 am

well found the problem now I need help where to get the parts it was a bent valve so does any one know the best place to get this kinda part with all gaskets that would need to be replaced from the work takeing off valve covers head gasket exhaust gasket rocker box gasket and any other gasket that I will need hard time finding valve right now please help soon so I can get this back together and on the road thanks

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:11 pm

wingman83 wrote:well found the problem now I need help where to get the parts it was a bent valve so does any one know the best place to get this kinda part with all gaskets that would need to be replaced from the work takeing off valve covers head gasket exhaust gasket rocker box gasket and any other gasket that I will need hard time finding valve right now please help soon so I can get this back together and on the road thanks

You can't find OEM valves new anymore. So you're left with the choice of used valves from a parted out bike, or aftermarket valves. Partsnmore has aftermarket valves relatively cheap:

http://www.partsnmore.com/parts/honda/gl1100/

wingman83
81custom 650

Postby wingman83 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:16 pm

ok thanks a lot I looking at that site right now this is all I need then it can be put back together and have a great running wing again thanks again for all the help and this forum

wingman83
81custom 650

Postby wingman83 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:07 pm

LOOKED THERE THEY DIDNT HAVE ANY SO IF YOU CAN THINK OF ANY WHERE ELSE THAT I CAN CHECK LET ME KNOW THANKS

wingman83
81custom 650

Postby wingman83 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:42 pm

do you know if the ex valve is different then the intake valve cause I find those but don't know if there diff but they do show diff part numbers so think they might be but its weird they all have the ex valve but not the intake valve so kinda think they might be the same but don't want to take the chance and it be wrong
:?

wingman83
81custom 650

Postby wingman83 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:26 pm

can any one tell me if a intake valve and a ex valve for a 1983 GL1100A ASPENCADE GOLDWING are the same or different I hear they are diff and I hear there not confused need to know thanks

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”