Need some help on a starting issue..

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
cygmark
Motorcycle: 1981 goldwing 1100

Need some help on a starting issue..

Postby cygmark » Mon May 10, 2010 7:37 pm

OK i just got a 1981 Honda gold wing gs1100 interstate, and it wont start, i turn the key to on and turn the select switch to run and nothing, so i made sure the battery was good, and its not its reading 12 volts so i put the booster on while testing, i checked all the fuses and they are all correct and in good order.

Here's the kicker, when i jump a positive jump lead to the fuse for starter, all the gauge lights come on and i can crank over the bike and it runs fine, but without this i cant get any response, so i took apart the gauge cluster to get to the key ignition,

How do i test it to make sure its OK and not a dud, and any other tips or help would be much valued. Would love to get this beauty on the road soon.

Thanks Josh

Jeeper
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Re: Need some help on a starting issue..

Postby Jeeper » Mon May 10, 2010 8:22 pm

Sounds like the main 30amp fuse is bad. It's on the side of the solenoid under a little cover, which is next to the battery. Just follow the main power lead from the battery to the solenoid. You have to unplug the wire connector to open the front of the cover. Test for power on both sides of the fuse. There may be a spare fuse on the cover.

cygmark
Motorcycle: 1981 goldwing 1100

Postby cygmark » Mon May 10, 2010 8:28 pm

yeah i checked that and there is power on both sides so its not that, thanks though for the thought.

josh

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Tue May 11, 2010 9:10 am

Well you can pull the ignition switch and check the contacts at the bottom or the contacts in the plug.. sometimes the contacts are so worn they don't make contact in the switch. You can solder a little bubble on the contact points to raise them up and if that's the prolbem it's solved..the solder won't last as long as the original but at least several years. The bottom pops off if you press in on the three clip points on the ignition case. You can also buy a new bottom on eBay..I see htem all the time..a guy in FA I think.

HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”