neutral light

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
davefx
Motorcycle: 1980 gl1100

neutral light

Postby davefx » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:18 pm

I have a 1980 Goldwing with 68700 miles.
Recently I had to "jump" start the bike. It turned over once then the starter solenode just clicked.
I replaced the solinode and the battery, (I'm still push starting it)
Now every time I pull the clutch lever in, The neutral light comes on.
Can anyone tell me why this has happened, And how to get it back to normal?
Just to note, I've owned the bike for about two years. Within the past three months the fuel and temp. gauges started working and have since.
Thank you in advance for any info I may recieve.
David K. Apache Junction, Arizona

patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 I
1981 Honda CM400C

Re: neutral light

Postby patbrandon1 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:51 am

Hi Dave. I just want to understand more clearly. You said you replaced the battery and solenoid and by the phrase (I'm still push starting it), do you mean that it still doesn't turn over and the starter still doesn't work? Are you still getting a click at the solenoid? This should be cleared up first. Are all of the grounds from battery to frame, and connections perfectly clean?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:31 am

davefx wrote:I have a 1980 Goldwing with 68700 miles.
Recently I had to "jump" start the bike. It turned over once then the starter solenode just clicked.
I replaced the solinode and the battery, (I'm still push starting it)
Now every time I pull the clutch lever in, The neutral light comes on.
Can anyone tell me why this has happened, And how to get it back to normal?
Just to note, I've owned the bike for about two years. Within the past three months the fuel and temp. gauges started working and have since.
Thank you in advance for any info I may recieve.
David K. Apache Junction, Arizona

You have cooked the starter diode, which isolates the neutral light from the starter button, and allows the bike to start in gear when the clutch is pulled in (or when in neutral). However, this is (probably) a separate problem from the bike not starting.

First, short the terminals on the solenoid with a screwdriver and see if the engine cranks. If so, you can rule out the solenoid or starter being the problem.

davefx

Postby davefx » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:10 pm

Yes, I'm still push starting the bike. The solenoid "clicks" as it did before replacing the battery and solenoid. I have yet to try jumping the solenoid. I am thinking of pulling the starter. And to try bebuilding it as explained in the "how to" section.
I might add here that when I pulled starter last week that the rubber boot protecting the positive cable connection on the starter was missing. The post is one solid mass of rust. I had to cut the once nut holding the cable from the solenoid off to remove the cable.
If the starter diode3 is fried causing the neutral light to come on when the clutch is pulled, what would be my options?
Thanks guys, Dave

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:19 pm

davefx wrote:Yes, I'm still push starting the bike. The solenoid "clicks" as it did before replacing the battery and solenoid. I have yet to try jumping the solenoid. I am thinking of pulling the starter. And to try bebuilding it as explained in the "how to" section.
I might add here that when I pulled starter last week that the rubber boot protecting the positive cable connection on the starter was missing. The post is one solid mass of rust. I had to cut the once nut holding the cable from the solenoid off to remove the cable.
If the starter diode3 is fried causing the neutral light to come on when the clutch is pulled, what would be my options?
Thanks guys, Dave

Before pulling the starter, just do the solenoid check, that will tell you in seconds whether or not the starter is to blame.

The starter diode is reasonably easy to replace (left side, underneath the false tank). You can either find a replacement on eBay, or build one yourself for a few cents using 1N4001 diodes.

davefx

Postby davefx » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:34 pm

okay, when i push the starter button the solenoid clicks.
but when i jumped the solenoid from battery post to the motor post i got nothing. not even a click

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:11 am

To jump the solenoid you "jump" the two big posts on the top of the solenoid..with the key on.

To test the starter alone you can jump it from anther battery/car positive cable to the stud and negative to the bike. Just a short touch to see if it turns. Plugs out/lose in case you have hydrolock is best..key off.

HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”