Charging/ignition switch problems

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
gordonv
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500
1999 GL1500CF
1982 GL1100A

Charging/ignition switch problems

Postby gordonv » Mon May 10, 2010 10:08 pm

OK people, here is a 2 part question. I know we touched briefly upon this one subject.

I have an intermittent problem which seems to be due to the ignition (key) switch.
Turn the key to on, start the bike, but no radio and no charging (needle burried). A little while later, they come on. Also, if I notice, I "wiggle" the key a little and they come on. I would think that somehow the key is not in the right place, or I need to take the switch apart and clean it all out.

Would you agree?

2nd problem. I might/do need a new battery, but am hoping the new battery conditioner I bought will recover some of its life. I leave the bike sitting over 2 weeks, I need a jump if I don't start on the first try. Did that yesterday, got the bike going. Drove over a 1/2 hr, turned off, tried to start, didn't on the first try, and then didn't have enough juice for a second try, needed a jump again. Noticed that the charging was just over 12V when RPM above 1500, lower and it's only at 11V.
I just wend down and tried to start the bike, worked on the first try with the chock, took chock off, and noticed that at high and low (idle) rpm the charger is showing over 13V. Everything is good.

Any ideas what could casue this kind of intermitent problem? If it was a bad cable/wire, shouldn't it be all the time? Bike was stored the same before/after in a dry garage.

Jeeper
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Re: Charging/ignition switch problems

Postby Jeeper » Tue May 11, 2010 7:23 am

Have you checked the 3 wire plug coming from the stator? Its located next to the battery. It has 3 yellow wires going to it.

This plug is famous for going bad. If you have the OEM plug, your problem could be right there. If you're getting intermittent connections on one or more of the wires coming from the stator, you're going to have intermittent charging problems. Most recommend just cutting the plug right out of there and soldering the 3 wires together. I don't think it matters which wires line up with which, but you could keep them the same as they were in the plug. The PO of my bike actually put in a small terminal strip fastened to the frame so the wires had a much better connection.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Tue May 11, 2010 9:12 am

Well you can pull the ignition switch and check the contacts at the bottom or the contacts in the plug.. sometimes the contacts are so worn they don't make contact in the switch. You can solder a little bubble on the contact points to raise them up and if that's the prolbem it's solved..the solder won't last as long as the original but at least several years. The bottom pops off if you press in on the three clip points on the ignition case. You can also buy a new bottom on eBay..I see htem all the time..a guy in FA I think.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Postby thrasherg » Tue May 11, 2010 9:17 am

Also be aware that a worn battery will wreck your regulator/alternator. A bad battery can take a large amount of current and cause the regulator/alternator to fail. It is a false economy to run with a bad battery (apart from the inconvenience of not knowing if you will be able to restart your engine) it will cost a fortune to replace the alternator if it fails.

Gary

gordonv
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500
1999 GL1500CF
1982 GL1100A

Postby gordonv » Tue May 11, 2010 11:16 am

Thanks for the directions/idea, I'll look into them.

I was thinking last night, with regards to the radio/charging not coming one. This would not be the ignition switch, like in a car, but something to do with the start button, where it turns off all power except to the starter/coil, and didn't bring the other items back.

Any thoughts on that?

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”