Installing XM Radio on my Goldwing

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Installing XM Radio on my Goldwing

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:00 pm

I put an XM Roady on my GL1100A this spring. I mounted it on the right side as seen below. I don't like FM modulators, and the FM on my bike gets cranky when it gets hot anyway, so I decided to wire it in directly.

The radio itself I mounted on the right side of the fairing. Immediately below it are a waterproof toggle switch (switches from FM radio to XM radio) and a volume knob that adjusts the gain of the XM radio (varies from station to station, I find):

The three wires (power, audio, antenna) go through a small hole drilled behind the satellite radio. The power goes to the "cigarette lighter" converter which is hard-wired inside to the same power source as the AM/FM tuner (which is physically located inside the fairing right behind the XM radio), so the XM radio comes on when the bike is turned on.

The antenna wire runs inside the fairing, out the bottom, under the false tank, along the frame, and up into the trunk, where the antenna is mounted in the top of the lid. It works fine inside the trunk (the fiberglass doesn't attenuate the signal measurably) and it's invisible to the outside.

To wire the audio, I took apart the AM/FM tuner and identified the audio outputs:

I cut these wires and ran the output from the radio to one side of the (DPDT) switch. The other side of the switch was connected to the audio output from the XM radio. The common output from the switch was run back to the side of the wires that I cut that run to the component terminal. All the wires I ran were shielded, as they are low-level audio and will pick up noise easily.

It works very well, and I rarely if ever listen to the AM/FM radio anymore. Flipping the switch lets you listen to either terrestrial (AM/FM) radio or XM radio. Sound quality is great, and I never have to change FM modulator frequencies because of a high-power local station.

oldtoys1961

Re: Installing XM Radio on my Goldwing

Postby oldtoys1961 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:00 am

I know this is an old post, I have a XM2go, my antenna is whimpy as I'm using the personal antenna on the windshield. I'd like to use the puck as its a better antenna,

Is there a pic of howyou mounted the antenna under the trunk lid??? Thanks for any help. JR

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:48 am

I actually changed it this year - the antenna under the trunk worked great - as long as my wife wasn't on back, and we were riding south - in which case she blocked it perfectly.

This year I mounted it on the top of my right speaker, and now it works perfectly, always:

oldtoys1961

Postby oldtoys1961 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:45 pm

Thanks. YOur the second person I've seen mount the puck there. I think I'll do the same. JR

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:36 pm

Incidentally, in the first message, I mentioned my FM radio got "cranky" when it got hot. It would start drifting off frequency, and would eventually not receive anything at all anymore. I finally got sick of this, and sent the radio off to Sierra Electronics for repair. They charge a flat $100 to fix most radio/CB problems, and were able to find and fix the problem (old, tired electrolytic capacitors) quickly. So now my FM radio works just as great as my satellite radio.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”