Totally lost please help!!

Information and questions on GL1100 Goldwings (1980-1983)
  • Sponsored Links
JTBailey
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Interstate

Totally lost please help!!

Postby JTBailey » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:36 am

I have a 82 GL1100 and I parked it last year around July due to the fork seals went out and needed to be replaced. Well as soon as it got nice out I tried to go out and turn in on so it could run for a while. It just cranks over and over but wont start. I had a mechanic tell me it could be that the gas in the tank is old and contains ethanol. Which ethanol contains water or something and that the water is in the bowl of the carb. But i cant seem to find the drain screw. Any ideas?? Thanks!!

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Totally lost please help!!

Postby virgilmobile » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:41 am

Ethanol absorbs water.It can collect in the carbs.The drain screws are on the bottom of each Carb.A flat head screw,usually brass.Sometimes completely removing them is the only way to drain the carbs.
Use a rag,the stuff in the carbs can dissolve paint.

artgrantz
Motorcycle: Current: 2008 GL1800
Previous: 96 GL1500 SE
85 GL1200 I
85 GL1200 I
75 GL1000

Postby artgrantz » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:19 pm

Did you accidentally move the kill switch? If the switch is off the engine will turn over but there will be no spark.

JTBailey
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby JTBailey » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:10 pm

The kill switch was the first thing I checked. Hopefully I can drain the carbs and get a better result. This weather is to nice not to ride.

patbrandon1
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100 I
1981 Honda CM400C

Postby patbrandon1 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:24 pm

JTBailey wrote:I have a 82 GL1100 and I parked it last year around July due to the fork seals went out and needed to be replaced. Well as soon as it got nice out I tried to go out and turn in on so it could run for a while. It just cranks over and over but wont start. I had a mechanic tell me it could be that the gas in the tank is old and contains ethanol. Which ethanol contains water or something and that the water is in the bowl of the carb. But i cant seem to find the drain screw. Any ideas?? Thanks!!

Seven months of gas in the tank can make even the purist gasoline lose it's combustion ability. Did you treat the gas with Stabul or some other kind of fuel preservative? Even if you did treat your gas, it will lose it's effectiveness. Was the fuel valve shut off while the bike wasn't being used? Was the bike on the center stand? If it were me, here is what I would do...
1.) Make sure I have spark. Pull a plug, and see the spark for myself. (A bike sitting for any extended period can lose ground due to corrosion, and I would want to see the spark so that I know for sure.)
2.) Drain the old fuel, and replace with fresh low ethanol gas.
3.) If I am sure I am getting spark, and I have fresh fuel, turn the bike over making sure the kill switch is allowing spark. Turn it over for no more than 4 seconds, then wait at least 10 seconds before I try the starter again. I would do this for a minute or two to make sure I have gotten fresh gas to the plugs. I may need to pull the plugs at this point to allow any unspent fuel to dry from the chambers, and the plugs. Replace the plugs and try again.
4.) If that doesn't work, I would spray a tiny bit of starting fluid into the plenum (air intake) and try to start it. It may fire with the starter fluid and that would help pull the regular gas into the carbs.

Keep us posted on your progress. I know any Winger on here will do whatever it take to help you get it running. This is an amazing site, and we don't want to see a bike not providing you with the joy of riding.

Return to “GL1100 Information & Questions”